Asus p5n32-e sli Wont boot with 4 gigs ram

Dyslexic

Limp Gawd
I have vista 64 and added 2x1 gigs of ram for a total of 4 gigs. The PC wont boot with 4 gigs in but it will with 3 gigs I swithched the sticks around so its not a bad stick of ram or bad slot. I also have flased the latest bios. CPU-z says that I am only running at 400mhz and no dual channel even whe I have just 2 gigs in in the right slots. Any Ideas?

Wow, that sucks. I have the same mobo and memory running Vista 64 and just ordered the same thing. I hope there is a resolution to this.

Any help!!!!?

First off, CPU-Z is right when it says 400MHz (its DDR remember? you double the MHz! 400x2=800) As far as dual channel, maybe your ram sticks aren't matched pairs or you don't have them in the "right" spots.

Secondly. 4x1GB works in our motherboard just fine, I'm living proof. I've had all 4 sticks the same, and I've also mixed two different 2GB kits before, no issues. The key here is to set the voltage and timings for the memory MANUALLY in the BIOS while your running on say 1 or 2 sticks.

Also when you've got all 4 sticks you may need to boost the voltage a bit and ease up on the timings.

For example. With my 4GB of Mushkin, they are rated at 1.9v but they won't boot at that with 4 sticks. I had to boost it to 2v but I can run them at 1.9v if I relax the timings.

Thanks For the tips I'll give it a try. As far as the dual channel prob the sticks are the same and in the right slots. Oh well we'll see what happens.

I treid the voltage increase and it worked sort of but I had to go from 1.9v to 2.3v to get it to work. My timings are 5-5-5-12 what should I change them too? Right now I am just running 2 gigs cause I thought 2.3v was kind of high. Is it too high? I guess I'll try the timings next.

it is a little high. try dropping the speed of the ram to 333mhz, or ddr2-667. that should lower the voltage requirements a lot, and allow the ram to last much longer.

Ok I'll give that a try as well. What a pain in the A this is just to upgrade ram.:mad:

Back