• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Asus P5N-D running hot...

rboarderi

n00b
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
21
I just completed a build with the Asus P5N-D Motherboard, E8400, 4 gigs ram and an 8800GT all inside a Cooler Master 690. On idle the cpu is running at 45C and the motherboard is also running at 45C. I think that this is a little high and would like to cool it down a bit. An optional fan came with my motherboard to go on the northbridge but it came with a note saying only to use in passive or water cooled systems as it will mess with the fan cooling of my cpu...but I am wondering if it is still safe to use it. SO what would the best way be to cool my northbridge and cpu? I was thinking of installing a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on the cpu to replace the stock heatsink but I don't know where to go with the northbrdige...any ideas?
 
I bought the Arcitic CF7P to go on my cpu (Q9450) and I use the optional fan on the northbridge and there are no issues. My cpu sits idle at 29-31c (using Realtemp) and my motherboard at idle is about 33-35. With the fan it doesn't get above 40c under load. What are you using to monitor your motherboard temps?
 
How hot should my CPU and motherboard get? My CPU goes up to 65C when playing a game and the motherboard goes to about 55C.
 
what are your clocks at?

I'm using the Q9450 running at 3.6 (working at getting it stable) fsb 1800, and my cpu temps get to about 65c (coretemp or 55c realtemp) under load. my mobo doesn't get much about 40c. The max i've seen is 42c. I have the fan installed on the NB.
 
My cpu is the E8400 and nothing is overclocked or changed from stock...its running at 3.0
 
Maybe take a look at a new cooler/heatsink? The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro was around 30$ on Newegg. That's what I'm using.
 
I just ordered that cooler last night, is there anything that I can do about cooling the northbridge...any good replacement heatsinks or anything?
 
Not that I know of, I'm hesitant to mess with that stuff unless I know there is an issue with it. I would, if you haven't already, attach the optional fan to the NB and see what kind of temps you get. It does not interfere with my cpu fan/heatsink.
 
Wowza and it still gets up to 55c under load? hmmmm I don't know what to suggest?

I will really take a look at mine tonight and see if I'm wrong on my mobo temps for you.
 
I just completed a build with the Asus P5N-D Motherboard, E8400, 4 gigs ram and an 8800GT all inside a Cooler Master 690. On idle the cpu is running at 45C and the motherboard is also running at 45C. I think that this is a little high and would like to cool it down a bit. An optional fan came with my motherboard to go on the northbridge but it came with a note saying only to use in passive or water cooled systems as it will mess with the fan cooling of my cpu...but I am wondering if it is still safe to use it. SO what would the best way be to cool my northbridge and cpu? I was thinking of installing a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on the cpu to replace the stock heatsink but I don't know where to go with the northbrdige...any ideas?

Did you ever come up with anything?
 
I also have the P5N-D and my temps are the following
CPU - 36c
MB - 49c

Why is my motherboard temp so high? Will putting this optional fan on help? I don't even have the case fan on yet.

What is meant by passive cooling?
 
passive cooling is just a heatsink - no fan. (or possibly water)

I'd use the fan, it didn't mess with anything on my setup.
 
I am having the same issues with both my motherboard and processor. When I started up the computer my temps where at 47c CPU and 44c mb using asus probe. My ambient temps are 39c.

I run several different temp monitoring programs but from everything I read realtemp's temps are suppose to be the closest for this cpu until a better bios comes out but my temps that I am posting here comes off asus probe.

Here is what I am doing to fix them.

First, I completely redid the inside of my antec P180 case to improve airflow. I removed several parts of my case that was not needed (i'll attach pic's later) and hide all the cables and wires that I could. This alone dropped my temps to around 45c CPU and 36c MB.

Second, I lapped my Zalman 9500 cpu coolers heatsink and used Aritic Silver - 5. Thus bringing down my cpu temps to 38c on start-up.

At this point I am still not really happy with my mb temps plus having all my fans on high is not my style. I have tried researching an after market NB heatsink but I haven't got any warm and fuzzy feeling about what I have read but below is one customers review on installing this one.
-Thermalright HR-05-SLI Copper Heatsink
"Pros: Lowered temp over 20 degrees.
Cons: Bulky and hard to position.
Other Thoughts: I installed it on an ASUS P5ND2 SLI with an nForce4 chipset after grunting, cussing and tweaking it to fit. I ended up having to bend the heat tubes at the base to position the fins into a spot where I could rotate the base into a position to attach the bracket and zip tied the fins to the frame of the CPU fan to keep it from rotating into the vidio card. Unfortunatly it was all in vein. The motherboard was already damaged from the heat stress. At least it's still under warrenty. "

Lastly, tonight or tomorrow I plan on removing the mb north and southbridge heatsinks then cleaning off asus's paste and then reapply MX-2 paste. I really think this might fix the mb temps but we will see.

I'll post the results.
 
Back
Top