Asus P5LD2-VM overclocking? 224MHz limit?

OK, so I've been playing around with a little system I've been working on based on the P5LD2-VM. Overclocking seems to be an issue. When I put the FSB at 224, the system POSTs and runs great. Totally stable. But if I go to 225, the system won't even POST. I've tried a 540J and a 640 CPUs with the same exact result. Has anyone else used this board and OCed with it?

Yup.

I think I know exactly what is holding you back.

Do not overvolt your processor(s), as a matter of fact it might even overclock higher with a slight undervolt (less heat)

Raise the PCI-E bus from 100 to about 118 mhz by manually forcing it (anything higher than 120 and you may lose your SATA drives if you have any, but if you don't feel free to go as high as you feel comfortable.)

Adjust your FSB accordingly.

It is cheap RAM. Hmm.

2x 1gig SimpleTech DDR2 PC3200
WD 200gig 16meg cache
Leadtek 6800NU 256meg
NEC 3550A
Thermaltake HSF (some heatpipe jobber. CPU hits about 48C max)
I have used either a 540J or 640
Antec NeoPower 480w PSU (modded to be crammed into a uATX case)

I thought I tried a divider to make the RAM run lower, but I'll have to check that. What voltage is DDR2 safe up to?

Thats why. Your have very generic value ram thats rated for 400mhz. If you would at least have some DDR2-533 or DDR2-667 it would give you some headroom, but that ram flat out sucks for OCing. Try running a 166 or 133 divider..

DDR2 should be fine within 1.8-2.1v, 2.1 being very very maximum.

The Asus should use conservative SPD timings for ram, even when overclocked.

You can run the DDR2 at whatever speed you like from 400 to 1066Mhz, the Asus board gives you three variable options (mine were 3.5, 4x, and 4.5x FSB) that change based on your FSB and memory capability.

If it was a weak ram issue, he would be getting errors at 224 (say after a few hours memtest) and then a no boot situation at 225. It doesn't sound like thats the problem as it runs fine at 224.

Same thing happened to me on this motherboard at with a Celeron D at 149Mhz no memtest errors at all overnight worked fine, at 150 Mhz would not boot (Using OCZ gold) until I raised the PCIE to 118, at which point it went to 175Mhz FSB without problems.

Thing with this board is that it automatically tends to underclock the PCIE to 90mhz when it reaches a certain FSB overclock, which causes more instability than overclocking it (strangely enough, it *only* happens on Asus mobos) In this particular case, when running 224Mhz FSB, the PCIE runs 112Mhz - At 225Mhz FSB, the PCIE runs 90Mhz if you leave it at "auto", which I have found to be mostly unstable in every configuration regardless of any other components.

Safe, maybe...

I've got my Sata Seagate 7200.7 running fine at a PCI-E speed of 120Mhz. Been running a couple of weeks now with no problems.

Its just like the motherboard though, if I clock it to 121Mhz+, the drive will not even show up in the Bios, it just magically disappears. But anything below that, it will show up and seem to work perfectly.

BTW: This is a highly underrated motherboard. The main point for me is that its a 945 chipset which will *probably* be able to handle the 65nm chips next year with a Bios update. The onboard PCI-E "Tekoa" gig ethernet is another step ahead of the already excellent Intel "CSA" gig ethernet, the Tekoa being able to do bidirectional data transfers.

ZenOps said:
Safe, maybe...

I've got my Sata Seagate 7200.7 running fine at a PCI-E speed of 120Mhz. Been running a couple of weeks now with no problems.

Its just like the motherboard though, if I clock it to 121Mhz+, the drive will not even show up in the Bios, it just magically disappears. But anything below that, it will show up and seem to work perfectly.

BTW: This is a highly underrated motherboard. The main point for me is that its a 945 chipset which will *probably* be able to handle the 65nm chips next year with a Bios update. The onboard PCI-E "Tekoa" gig ethernet is another step ahead of the already excellent Intel "CSA" gig ethernet, the Tekoa being able to do bidirectional data transfers.

may i ask what your system is? im considering this mobo to run with a Pentium D 820 and i want to know how you like it and overclocking wise is it good.

Just pasted this from another thread, I don't like putting it in the signature. I'm sure it will work fine with a duallie, the quality of the mobo tends to make me think that is what is allowing a 30 percent overclock and an 8 percent undervolt. Components run surprisingly cool, especially the RAM, which is still running default 1.814Volts (haven't bothered to overvolt anything)

Unlike some here, I kind of like the Aria styling. It can be tough to get components that will work on a 300 watter though.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1512917

Asus P5LD2-VM MicroAtx
Celeron D 331, 2.66Ghz overclocked to 3.4Ghz & undervolted from 1.40 to 1.2875Volts.
1GB OCZ DDR2 running at 680Mhz 4-4-4-12.
eVGA 6800GS lightly overclocked
Soundblaster Audigy 2zs OEM
Hauppuage Win-TV go.
Seagate 7200.7 SATA (want to replace with new Samsung)
Liteon DVD+-RW
All inside an Antec Aria with original 300 watt powersupply and plenty of adaptor cables.

Consumes right around 200 watts at load in 3Dgames (burner inactive) at the wall outlet as measured by an APC Back-ups HS. Assuming the powersupply is about 75 percent efficient, its only putting a strain of about 150 watts on the Powersupply.

thanks ZenOps, looks like this is the mobo for me. i'll make a thread on my ocing adventrue when i get my parts in. thanks again.

Well man, that worked like a charm! This is a really strange issue with this board. I hope Asus fixes it eventually.

In any case, I set the PCIe to 119 and I'm at 239MHz FSB now (3824MHz) and it seems to be working great. I'm at about 9100 in 3dmark03 and I haven't even started overclocking the video card yet or tweaking the RAM (I'm running a divider right now with default timings).

Thanks for the info ZenOps!

I'm using a 640J with some sort of a thermaltake heat pipe HSF and a 120mm fan blowing right on top of that. I'll have to check on the SL number. But my CPU temps never get higher than 43C under load according to the Asus monitor.

Asus updated the bios to 0406, which supports Cedarmill 631, 641, 651, 661 and Presler 920, 930, 940 and 950.

Good too see this board already supports 65nm chips.

did any of you guys try this new bios to see if it fixes the overclocking problem?

Yup im already using the latest bios , i aswell had to back off on my overclock to 235 (3.71ghz) , prime95 stable for 10 hours so it seems alright

Thanks for all your help fellow thread contributors!

From your information I can tell you Ive had some relative success clocking my 920D
At the moment Im running 260Mhz (1040FSB) and the CPU is hitting 3.6Ghz.

I was having some issues before.

I posted this on another forum: "Im not really having much luck with my D920 on my Asus P5DL2-VM. This board was rumoured to have the same BIOS overclocking features as the premium Asus LGA775 boards (P5LD2 Deluxe?) but I cannot even get it to POST at 266 FSB. Although the 945 Chipset supports it Im not getting anywhere. Ive used the intelligent overclocking feature in the BIOS at 10% and that posts ok (CPU 3.06Ghz) but 15% wont go. There is still headroom of 20,25 & 30%!! If I do the Manual settings Ive even bumped up the Vcore to 1.4 and the MCH voltage to 1.6v and memory voltage to 1.9v but to no avail. Ive updated the board to the latest BIOS but that hasnt helped. Im still using the standard heatsink but I wouldnt have thought that would be such a big issue just at POST.

I am also using PC4300 Ram (533Mhz)

Any ideas?

Oh and at the moment im still using the GM950 integrated video - as I cant put in my PCIE card due to my case - awaiting a riser card. This wouldnt be effecting things as Im trying to get a FSB that the chipset supports!"

Ive only done about 15 minutes of trial and error since I read this thread but here it is in brief:

I set the PCIE clock to 118MHz straight away and I was able to successfully start posting at 224Mhz (the magical number above). I was quite wrapped with that as I was able to only POST at 220Mhz before. I continued POSTing at 225, 230, 235, 240, 245 and 250.

*At 240 and above the BIOS was reporting that I had PC5300 installed - which I dont*.

At 250 and above I noticed BIOS artifacts when navigating. I think this may have something to do with the onboard graphics.

I tried to POST at 260 and it did. That was all rosey but I decided to drop the VCORE down to 1.275. Attempting to boot windows locked up before the desktop. no BSOD... just a black screen (but no loss of monitor signal). I put the VCORE back upto 1.3v and Windows has booted ok and Im running HDTV fine (all intended purpose of this box). CPU load is only about 10-15% and CPU is at 44c with standard cooler running 2000RPM.

Ive also tried booting at a lower FSB (240ish) with a PCIE of 115 and it didnt POST at all. So somethings magic about this 118MHz PCIE clock. As a side note does anyone know what the standard PCIE clock is?

At this speed my SATA drives have detected and worked ok, however I think I might just take a drive image whilst I can

I havent managed to crack the 266FSB which is what I wanted to do, but regardless of that figure Ive had to put the PCIE clock to 118, so theres no way I can run this board within the default specs for 1066 FSB.

Thanks!
Jai

Well, I finally tore the Celeron 331 out of my P5LD2-VM and replaced it with a brand spanking new Pentium 631 (65nm, 3Ghz)

I left the PCIE at 118Mhz, and immediately lowered my voltage to 1.1875Volts (the lowest it will go) because I know the Aria powersupply tends to overvolt everything, and I want to keep things as cool as possible.

I can push the FSB all the way to 261mhz with those parameters, but it will fail memtest with a pair of OCZ DDR2 PC2-4200 Gold Dual Channel running 348Mhz Cas 4-4-4-12 at default 1.8Volts. I do not intend to ever overvolt, even though the option exists.

The maximum the board will let me overclock to is 265Mhz anyhow.

I have since settled on 250Mhz FSB (3.75Ghz) Cas 4-4-4-12, with the CPU undervolted to the limit of the bios.

i did the exact same thing you guys tried by upping the pci-e speed to 118MHz to increase my fsb to 236MHz for my PD 820 but the problem i get is that whenever my MCE tries to record anything it gives a stuttering effect
but if i back the pci-e speed back to 100MHz it works just fine (this also makes me lower my fsb back to 220 to run stable)

now i know my tuners are PCI and i have the PCI speed set to 33.3MHz so it should be alright
i am using a Seagate Sata2 7200.9 200GB Drive
have any of you guys come across problems like this
btw im using 2GB Samsung PC-4200 DDR2 (but i know its not a ram issue as i have ran them at 1:1 ratio as well as 3:4

My P5LD2-VM hits the wall at 220 fsb. It will post at 221 but won't load Windows. So I'm running at 220 with memory underclocked. Changing the PCI-E freq doesn't do anything at all.I know this board has more potential, but I just can't figure it out. :confused:

dirtypop said:
My P5LD2-VM hits the wall at 220 fsb. It will post at 221 but won't load Windows. So I'm running at 220 with memory underclocked. Changing the PCI-E freq doesn't do anything at all.I know this board has more potential, but I just can't figure it out. :confused:

Do you guys have good overclockable ram? Are you using dividers when needed? Are you properly seeing how high your CPU/MEM/MOBO can go indavidually? Are you playing with timings? Voltages? You kids cant just up the FSB and set the PCi-E lock and expect it to work magic...

I can go to FSB 245 with 116mhz PCI-E , thanks to your info. Previously I can go 10% overclocking only without changing PCI-E freq.
But I have difficulty to go beyond 245, system is not stable. I use 118mhz PCI-E, vcore is 1.35V.
Must I upgrade BIOS to 0406? can I continue up PCI-E freq? I hope I can run 250 with stable status.

I still can't go past 220. I must be doing something wrong. Here are my settings:

CPU freq: 220 (10% brick wall)
DRAM freq: 587 (I have 667MHz RAM)
PCIE freq: 119 (tested maximum, 120 won't boot)
PCI Clock Sync: 33.3 fixed
Mem Volt: 1.812
Chipset Volt: 1.50
CPU VCore: 1.2625 (lowest option)

220 is rock solid stable (been playing Oblivion on it all day for weeks) but 221 won't even post.

dirtypop said:
I still can't go past 220. I must be doing something wrong. Here are my settings:

CPU freq: 220 (10% brick wall)
DRAM freq: 587 (I have 667MHz RAM)
PCIE freq: 119 (tested maximum, 120 won't boot)
PCI Clock Sync: 33.3 fixed
Mem Volt: 1.812
Chipset Volt: 1.50
CPU VCore: 1.2625 (lowest option)

220 is rock solid stable (been playing Oblivion on it all day for weeks) but 221 won't even post.

I think your CPU vcore is too low.

Are you running the new 508 bios, It has fixed some temp issues with me. Hasn't helped the overclock much but I'm running mine at 250.

JZJZ said:
I think your CPU vcore is too low.
I've tried overclocking it at normal and higher than normal VCores but it's the same story. Running it at this VCore is stable and shows about a 10 C degree drop in temps at idle and more at load.

cbecknet said:
Are you running the new 508 bios, It has fixed some temp issues with me. Hasn't helped the overclock much but I'm running mine at 250.
Yes.

It looks like BIOS 0508 and 0406 are not so good on cpu fan control. The noise level is still high when you choose optimal fan speed and I cannot use Asus AiBooster to check. I downgrade BIOS to 0301, AiBooster is back to normal and fan is quiet(same as initial BIOS 0128).

I have same annoying overclock problem i have bios rev 0508, and i cannot get the fsb above 234 withous crashing and non-booting, i have the pci-e freq set to 118 (tried 119 120 and wont boot) , and when i do boot overclocked to 3.2ghz says i have pc2-5300 installed, ive tried upping and downing the vcore and its the same, im not sure if its a ram problem, i dont know much about ddr2 ram (timing etc) , i have PNY 2x 1gb ddr2 pc2-4300 533 mhz dual channel, pleas help me cos i know this board can go a lot higher, cooling isnt a problem i have artic freezer pro fan,

p.s the mobo says it supports intel eist, and the pentium 920D does also, but there is no option to enable this on the mobo

Pentium D 920 2.8ghz (running at 3.27 ghz)
2x1gb PNY PC2-4300 533mhz (displaying PC2-5300 ? )
Win xp sp2
no gfx card, usind onboard vga

Chrissy boy

skinzz said:
I have same annoying overclock problem i have bios rev 0508, and i cannot get the fsb above 234 withous crashing and non-booting, i have the pci-e freq set to 118 (tried 119 120 and wont boot) , and when i do boot overclocked to 3.2ghz says i have pc2-5300 installed, ive tried upping and downing the vcore and its the same, im not sure if its a ram problem, i dont know much about ddr2 ram (timing etc) , i have PNY 2x 1gb ddr2 pc2-4300 533 mhz dual channel, pleas help me cos i know this board can go a lot higher, cooling isnt a problem i have artic freezer pro fan,

p.s the mobo says it supports intel eist, and the pentium 920D does also, but there is no option to enable this on the mobo

Win xp sp2

Chrissy boy

since its a PD 920 it wont support EIST due to the fact taht its already at its lowest multiplier of 14x
that is the lowest for all pd's

so is anyone having the same problem as me, cant get past 235 fsb ? its so annoying, i know i can get load smore out of this

If you are running your pci-e at 119 already then thats pretty much is it. It does post at 123 but if you have sata drives you will lose detection of them. I have sata so i don't know what happens when you boot into windows. Ashame that you can't lock the pci-e like in their premium boards.

skinzz said:

Win xp sp2

Chrissy boy

My board also said my ram was PC5300 when using above 225MHz FSB - its just a glitch. I can get 260FSB but nothing higher. I think its slightly crippled this board.

JK

Back