Asus P5K SATA controller dying

Kaldskryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got an odd issue with my P5K.

Only some of the SATA ports work at all. I first noticed that I was losing connection to one of my hard drives and thought it was dying. I tried switching which port the hard drive was on, and presto it came back. I double-checked by trying that malfunctioning ports with proven hardware, and surely nothing worked on that one port.

I kind of shrugged it off because I had a spare port anyway. Now another port has given up, and I can no longer use all three of my drives. The P5K has five SATA ports but one is placed somewhere I can't really get to, and now two are dead. For now I'm running without an optical, but I'm worried I'll start to lose access to my hard drives and possibly risk data corruption.

So unless any of you have any great ideas on why the SATA ports are dying, I need to get a new motherboard.

I have no need for RAID right now but I'd like to keep that as an option sometime. What's the difference between X38 and P35. Is it worth waiting for X48 or 790i? Are there going to be any Nehalem chips for LGA775?

Back