ASUS P5K Issue

mwmey1

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 22, 2008
Messages
70
Hey guys,

Im having XP-booting/blue-screen-of-death issues with my new build. My reason for putting htis in the MB category is I think it may be a BIOS issue.

Just today I finished buying parts for my system:

ASUS P5K / EPU Motherboard
INtel Core2Duo E8400
2G Generic RAM
80G Seagate Barracuda (unformatted, from old system)
430W PSU

I built it this afternoon and the hardware side of things seems to be fine, the system runs and is perfectly stable while looking at the BIOS and stuff. The issue is that when, normally, you would get the XP logo and some loading bars, instead i get the dreaded blue-screen.

The HDD is using the IDE slot, I'm wondering if this could cause an issue. The slot is on the board so using it instead of SATA should still work fine yeah? The HDD vibrates and hums, so it is doing SOMEthing but nothing productive it seems.

Things done to try and resolve the issue:
Test HDD on another system - works fine and boots XP.
Tested IDE cable in different machine, works fine.
Triple checked all hardware connections.
Triple checked that HDD is the master drive. (for debugging purposes its the only drive in right now)

I am totally stumped and I could really use some help if anybody knows anything I can try, in the BIOS or otherwise.

Thanks alot
 
Hey guys,


ASUS P5K / EPU Motherboard
INtel Core2Duo E8400
2G Generic RAM
80G Seagate Barracuda (unformatted, from old system) <------------------problem!!!!!!
430W PSU

If I understand what you have done the issue is the installed OS on the Barracuda. You can't stick an unformatted drive (with XP installed) on a new motherboard. The reason you are getting a BSOD of death is that the XP installation hasn't got the correct motherboard drivers for your new board.

You have a couple of options.

1) Format the drive and reinstall XP
2) If there is data/programs you want to keep on the Barracuda follow the In place reinstallation - you want method 2. (I've used it several times without issue in the past.)
 
If I understand what you have done the issue is the installed OS on the Barracuda. You can't stick an unformatted drive (with XP installed) on a new motherboard. The reason you are getting a BSOD of death is that the XP installation hasn't got the correct motherboard drivers for your new board.

You have a couple of options.

1) Format the drive and reinstall XP
2) If there is data/programs you want to keep on the Barracuda follow the In place reinstallation - you want method 2. (I've used it several times without issue in the past.)


He said it exactly, what you should do is try to boot in safe mode and unistall all of the old drivers then try to boot normally. That method has worked for me in the past.
 
Thanks for the replies! This is my first build so I would never have known I needed to format. I think I'll just buy a new SATA drive instead because its probably about time. The IDE port on the m/b seems almost to be a novelty, I cant get much to run properly from it.

As for Safe Mode - It starts loading files as it should then pauses and displays the same BSoD unfortunately. Its such torture having my new machine right in front of me (replacing a Pentium 3!!) and I cant use it.

Anyway thanks alot for the advice. I will be extremely grateful when I can get it up and running :)

Matt
 
yeah recently mobo manufacturers are moving that ide port wherever it's least convenient for anyone using ide lol, behind power connectors and stuff, i guess it's good and bad, more people use sata, but those with older drives are inconvenienced.

and all the above guys are correct, an xp install on an old hdd won't have the correct drivers for your machine, you *could* boot up to it in safe mode and uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones, but you're better off in the long run getting a new sata drive so when the time comes you don't have to move your install from the ide to the new sata drive if you had gotten one down the line.
 
Back
Top