ASUS P5K and Q6600

DITC

Limp Gawd
I recently ordered these two components, waiting for the mail...

But I've heard some rumours lately that the MB doesn't recognize the Q6600 out of the box and needs a bios update... Is this true? Sounds a little weird with a MB that recent.

And if it is true, do you need a compatible CPU in your MB to do the actual bios update?

No, you will be able to post with a quad. Just be sure you flash your bios from inside the bios, not windows. The Asus Update tool in Windows could cost you your board. Only flash from bios.

The voice of experience...

ROK

Aight, cool, thanks.

Can I put the .rom on a usb flash stick?

I just build a P5K with an E6750 with bios version 0414 with not a problem booted and ran stable but I am debating wheather or not to flash up to the 0603 bios might have to in the future or wait for the next bios to come out before making a decision on the upgrade.

I flashed to the 0503 BIOS last weekend to see if anything changed. I was able to increase my max stable OC to 3.6 Ghz on my Q6600. UP until then I wasn't able to get an error free Prime run at 3.6 GHZ. Now I am not saying that it was a result of the new BIOS, but without making any changes to my system other than the new BIOS I was able to get a stable OC.... Of course YMMV.

I am going to stick with the stock 0414 until they come out with one other than the 0603 and the one you used not going for a big OC at 10 percent will be fine for me I have a P-D running at 4 gig a 945 on air but this new C2D is just as fast as the P-D did the windows upgrade to ultimate from business in about 35 minutes were it says it may take hours and on another forum a guy said it took 6 hours for him with a Q6600 well thats the way it goes with speed.

Back