Asus P5GD1 based comp randomly boots up while off

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
My new comp randomly boots up, I suspect its WOL somehow being called by the switch searching for paths to its mac address table, anyone else have seen this?
Asus P5GD1 onboard lan

boots up, I do normal shutdown, then normally go off to read or do coursework, then I hear the fans start up, it beeps, see bios screen, and windows start booting

LOL ..mine did the same thing....try this worked for me...check the properties for marvell yukon ethernet chip in device manager (network adapter)under advanced...and look at the wake up capabilites select none... that should do it

Yeah mine did the same thing and it was wake on modem activity, but now I have a different motherboard and its doing ti again, but their is no option of the sort on the bios of this board any suggestions?

I suspect its WOL, however I would like to be able to use this feature, I tried leaving the network cable unplugged and it didn't boot up. I wonder if they will fix this in a new bios

It can't be wake on lan unless there is another computer on your network that is broadcasting a WOL packet. WOL doesn't mean the computer will wake up whenever there is network activity - it will only wake up when a specific packet is received.

It could be something like someone else mentioned such as wake on modem activity or something like that...

I just tested P5GDC mobo yesterday and when I shut off. About 10 seconds later, it starts computer. I just returned the mobo and will try buying abit motherboard instead.

Back