Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

I have noticed that settings for the E7200 are a bit different as this CPU allow for very high Ratio. maybe the same with yours i don't know, but still worth to give it a try.

As for the pencil mod, I have done it, but since i added some direct fan i might have to redo it again??

I also read somewhere that the CPU Damper could acomplish the same thing by forcing the VCore set in the BIOS if the Damper is disabled???

Also someone said somewhere that the BIOS 604 bring new settings?? I haven't notice, which one are they?

Anyway I got it from www.asus.com.tw/
or ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/
From there you select the right MB..

Did the pencil mod again and still have some drops from 1.384 to 1.368 during OCCT.

Is that acceptable?

I had to use a HB as that is the only kind available on the island.

Ok, some more developments here.

I reduced the Ratio to 8 and raised the FSB until the memtest86 start failing by increment of 25. well, 425 and failing, keeping as much on auto as possible.

Currently testing FSB 415, Strap 333, Ratio 8 and seem to be going well, I'll let it run overnight and see.
Unfortunatly, using the standalone version i have no way of mesuring temps or voltage, just hope it won't catch fire overnight...

Now, a simple question, could the CPU have big influence on this test? meaning if the system is not stable as far as CPU/NB/SB/...
Will this test be conclusive for Full System Stability?

Trent,

You might wanna look in to vdrop and vdroop. My understanding is 0 vdroop is bad as it's there to cusion voltage spike. If there's none, then there's chance that spike could kill CPU. I think I read somewhere that good number for vdroop is .05. I set mine to go down around .03-4. I could be wrong since I didn't really spent much time checking on this but since vdroop was created intentionally, I want to leave little bit there. :) And my vdrop and vdroop was bad probably due to Q6600. vdrop was .1v and vroop was .1v. Basically .2v less then what I set in BIOS.

nomade1999, I just read the posts you linked to, and it seems you did the pencil mod, although it seems like you might try reapplying as there is quite a bit of drop. For me, if I go one step higher with vcore there is 0 v. drop, and 0.008 at my stable voltage (lowest I can go).

Vdroop is bad. Be liberal with the pencil and lay it on thick.

I read the thread on Anandtech that this probably came from. Anandtech is a great place for certain things, but not for overclocking advice. Anandtech is saying the purpose of vdroop is to reduce voltage spikes. Goal of vdroop is to allow you to run at the same voltage setting and provide a “buffer” by reducing the average voltage and using the bios limit as the max volts. By eliminating vdroop, you no longer have that buffer and although you may still experience occasional spikes at load, you can see these in software and they are at most .1v. Most of us are already running well within safe volts, this would only be for a second and a .1v spike is not going to harm anything. In fact, Eliminating vdroop actually allowed me to lower the stock voltage by .1v, which in effect maintains around the same operating voltage, but with added stability. If the positive/negative voltage spikes are allegedly more severe with VDROOP removed, the processor should crash more often, when in fact this is not the case.

wow.. that pencil 2B mod really worked :D

before:
bios 1.55v, idle 1.504, load 1.416
after:
bios 1.55v, idle 1.528, load 1.520

i run it at 8*500 (like before). but when trying to boot in windows at 9*500 i get bluescreen.
i tried 8.5*500 and i could boot in to windows, orthos only worked for a couple of min and then stopped,, probably more volt needed..
any tip how to get 9*500 to boot in to windows?, it doesent seem to be a problem with FSB 500 because thats running fine in 8*500, but not in 9*500
running SB and NB at AUTO, and mem at 5-5-5-15 CR2 1001Mhz

Yup! I had very similar results.

Can your CPU do 4.5GHz? You need to work it up there...

All of the past couple of BIOS updates have only been for adding support for new CPUs. Is there anything else new with the latest BIOS?

IsLNdbOi ; Actually in version 604 it allow you to HotPlug SATA drives, which could be very nice if you happend to have eSata drives...

I have not tested it yet with my external drive, but have intentions to do so this weekend.

IsLNdbOi ; Actually in version 604 it allow you to HotPlug SATA drives, which could be very nice if you happend to have eSata drives...

I can confirm this, but didn't realize it until you just mentioned it. Before I would have to disable my external or hot-swap SATA drives. I got lazy one day after updating to the 604 BIOS and just pulled the connector and reinserted it a short time later. Vista didn't give me any grief over it like it used to before the 604 BIOS update.

Now if they'll only allow for tRC of higher than 42

I can confirm this, but didn't realize it until you just mentioned it. Before I would have to disable my external or hot-swap SATA drives. I got lazy one day after updating to the 604 BIOS and just pulled the connector and reinserted it a short time later. Vista didn't give me any grief over it like it used to before the 604 BIOS update.

Now if they'll only allow for tRC of higher than 42

So you can confirm it works!! Cool
Do you have to "Eject" the drive first?

How would OS X deal with it? as a removable drive???

Yup! I had very similar results.

Can your CPU do 4.5GHz? You need to work it up there...

yea that could be the problem, maybe my cpu cant do 4.5ghz, well i can fiddle more with the FSB and se how high i can do there instead, the pencil mod allowed me to go lower on the volt to the cpu @ 4ghz so i haveto redo all my test

Anyone know what CPUID Hardware Monitor mean by VIN1/VIN3/AVCC on this mobo?

Mine, under stress goes down a little then after few minutes start going up

VIN1 started at 1.62, now/max at 1.67
VIN1 started at 1.62, now/max at 1.68
AVCC started at 3.38 now at 3.36

That is with Ration 8.0/FSB 415/DDR2 2.20V 4-4-4-12/FSB Termination 1.42, all other AUTO except for those Spectrum disabled.

Another observation i had;

I ran OCCT for 1 hour in similar config that produce a very similar speed and it seem that higher Ratio/lower FSB produce less heat then the opposite?

At the Ratio 8.5/FSB 415/VCORE 1.325 I was getting much higher temperature all over,
while at Ratio 9.5/FSB 400/VCORE 1.425 i was getting lower temperatures.

Actually on the higher Ratio my MB temp reached 50C while on the lower one it toped at 46C

Most settings are Auto.

Any comments?

Which one you think is best? Higher voltage in the CPU and lower temp? or lower voltage and higher temp???

Upgraded the bios and now nvidia driver will randomly stop responding. (Mostly when windows photo gallery is opened, or a console app is opened, but I guess this has nothing to do with it)

8800GTX, vista x64, nvidia force within dirvers (iirc 177.63)

Hi,

Im using this mobo for almost a year now and it's great. I change the stock NB into Noctua NC-U6 with Zalman 8700NT as HSF. Now, I order Noctua NH-U12P to change my Zalman HSF. Could be the Noctua NH-U12P perfectly fit when the orientation is Horizontal? Thanks

For those interested I've posted on this InsanelyMac with links to my CMOS backup that allow me to run at 3.81GHz with a E7200 CPU and GeForce 8600GT 512MB OC as well as the 604 BIOS and some more.

Upgraded the bios and now nvidia driver will randomly stop responding. (Mostly when windows photo gallery is opened, or a console app is opened, but I guess this has nothing to do with it)

8800GTX, vista x64, nvidia force within dirvers (iirc 177.63)
Go back to the old BIOS and tell them about it. Are you sure it's not the drivers?

i'm not sure if I understand how to do the pencil mod correctly. do you just fill in the space between the two points with a #2 pencil mark?

wow.. that pencil 2B mod really worked :D

before:
bios 1.55v, idle 1.504, load 1.416
after:
bios 1.55v, idle 1.528, load 1.520

i run it at 8*500 (like before). but when trying to boot in windows at 9*500 i get bluescreen.
i tried 8.5*500 and i could boot in to windows, orthos only worked for a couple of min and then stopped,, probably more volt needed..
any tip how to get 9*500 to boot in to windows?, it doesent seem to be a problem with FSB 500 because thats running fine in 8*500, but not in 9*500
running SB and NB at AUTO, and mem at 5-5-5-15 CR2 1001Mhz

i'm not sure if I understand how to do the pencil mod correctly. do you just fill in the space between the two points with a #2 pencil mark?

yes you just take the 2B pencil, and draw many times over the resistor,from soldering to soldering.

soldering | Resistor | soldering
-> draw here between the arrows <-

Have any of you guys been able to use the USB boot feature on this board? I've tried Fedora 9 USB Live and even Ubuntu, but the system refuses to boot. Even after I disable all other boot drives except the USB one.

Booted with USB keys containing Linux / Memtest and also with DOS for flashing a couple of things ... boots fine

What are your BIOS settings ? Can you select the boot menu when booting up ?

This seemed to fall onto deaf ears in the memory forum so I'll ask here

I have 4GB of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
And if I bought 4GB of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227191

Both run at the same timings (5-5-5-15) but the g.skill is at ddr2-800 and OCZ runs at ddr2-1066. If I bought the OCZ and underclocked it to ddr2-800 (the max supported memory speed) would I get better timings than the g.skill?

I think you would definitely get better timings with the underclocked 1066. Unfortunately, there is only one way to find out for sure :(

Just trying to squeeze as much performance out of this machine as possible. I'm worried that something might screw up because the OCZ is rated at 1066 and the max on the motherboard is 800, but I'm paranoid by nature. :D

Just trying to squeeze as much performance out of this machine as possible. I'm worried that something might screw up because the OCZ is rated at 1066 and the max on the motherboard is 800, but I'm paranoid by nature. :D

I thought about doing the same thing with the 1066 RAM. All the mobo is going to to due is downclock the RAM to 800MHz since it doesn't support 1066MHz natively.

hmm the motherboard supports faster memory?,
im running mine (see sig) in 1001mhz and there is faster options

I've had this board up to 1001MHz on the memory as well. It just doesn't natively support anything higher than 800MHz. So, in order to reach 800 the only option is overclocking.

The only reason I asked the question is that I read somewhere that if you underclocked memory from its rated speed, you would achieve lower timings than you would if you kept it at stock speed. I just wanted to know if this stayed true if you used memory rated higher than the native speed on your motherboard, and underclocked it to that speed.

Anyone want to buy some barely used g.skill memory? :D

Hi guys,

I bought this motherboard in January and had quite a lot of board noice comming out of the speakers (very disturbing during games and music).

Finally I found a solution to this problem, just deactivate PC beep in control panel and audio out becomes crystal clear!

Very nice.

umm... newbie question...
how do i install Express Gate???
i m using the P5Q-EM but for some reason the Express Gate is not installed???
the P5Q Deluxe that i also have is already installed for some unkown reason :confused: ( or maybe during some setup i installed it without knowing ), so i dunno how to install the Express Gate myself... :(

edit: just realize it said P5E-VM in the title... sorry for misread... but could anyone help me out as well? thanks

Okay, I'm considering the P5E-VM HDMI for my next build. Looks like a November build so far. Anyway looking to use 4Gb RAM and Vista so whats the better RAM to use on this mobo nowadays? Not sure if 2x2Gb is the better way to go or 4x1Gb. Better to go with two 2Gb sticks isnt it? Probably going with a E8400 but I havent settled on the cpu yet. Might do some overclocking but its not critical to do so.

I've had four 2GB sticks in mine for 8 months now w/ no problems at all. I'm not and haven't overclocked though.

Back