Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

I've also built a system for my friend using P5K-VM, and when using same CPU (E8400), I found the P5K-VM to be a better overclocker than P5E-VM.. Quite surprise to me as the BIOS option in P5K-VM is very limited..

Same CPU: E8300, 1.23v, 4G stable Orthos 1hour on P5K-VM, need 1.25v 4G stable for P5E-VM ~`~?????

Might be different resistors on the P5K... was that V in bios or read in windows with a util like speedfan or cpuz? Could be proc needs same V but Vdroop was higher with P5E

Hey all, great thread, I was wondering if someone could answer a quick question about fan control. I'm almost positive I read a buyer review somewhere that suggested there were changes for the worse made in the 405 bios. Can you still set case fan speeds? Did anyone notice any changes at all? I'm not hugely picky, just wondering if I need an external fan controller.

Thanks
-HD

Hey all, great thread, I was wondering if someone could answer a quick question about fan control. I'm almost positive I read a buyer review somewhere that suggested there were changes for the worse made in the 405 bios. Can you still set case fan speeds? Did anyone notice any changes at all? I'm not hugely picky, just wondering if I need an external fan controller.
AFAIK, the biggest problem with the 0405 BIOS is the integrated sound card issue, which makes the system unable to POST correctly with the codec disabled. Appart from that, I haven't read anything regarding lower performance or otherwise affected hardware...

Also, you have to keep in mind that the BIOS is not really responsible for changing fan speeds... It does have the PWM algorythm (which tells the 4-pin fans to speed up or slow down depending on temperature), but that's also software-controllable. The fan speeds are hardware-controlled by a special chip on the motherboard, which is accessed directly through the PCI (not very common, really), LPC (low-pin count) or SMBus buses, LPC being the more common one these days, I think.

So, unless that special chip becomes damaged, the BIOS actively refuses to route requests for it (not really sure if this is actually possible to do...), or the controller chip doesn't have the ability to control fan speeds in the first place, you shouldn't be worried about BIOS updates on that count. At least this is what I know, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

Miguel

I've been seeing using P5E VM for about two weeks.

After observing this thread, I did also experience the Vista resume problem. I did not use an external sound card so cannot really say about BIOS 0403.

However after calling ASUS they send me version 0502, and Vista can resume properly. However I didn't find any overclocking improvement on this release..

So if you guys experience Vista resume problem, write to ASUS to get the 0502 BIOS.

Current System:
CPU: Q9450 @ 3.5G (438*8)
RAM: DDR2 @ 1051, 2GB
HD: Seagate 500GB
Graphic: 8800GT 512MB

I've also built a system for my friend using P5K-VM, and when using same CPU (E8400), I found the P5K-VM to be a better overclocker than P5E-VM.. Quite surprise to me as the BIOS option in P5K-VM is very limited..

Same CPU: E8300, 1.23v, 4G stable Orthos 1hour on P5K-VM, need 1.25v 4G stable for P5E-VM ~`~?????

can you upload this 0502 rom bios file:(

ok i got the Mobo (yeah!!)
but i got a question (maybe kinda stupid but still kinda new to it all)
do u need the memory from the QVL or can u just buy any memory within the specs ??

I have my new rig assembled and running vista64 on the P5E-VM bios 0405. I haven't run any benchmarks or tried to overclock it yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance this week sometime.

I disabled the onboard sound from within windows, in device manager. (easy shortcut to device manager is to type in the search/run field: devmgmt.msc and hit enter). Once I found 64 bit drivers for my fatality sound card my sound was up and running great.

As for fans - I have a very small case and one fan is making more noise than the others. I haven't installed a fan controller yet but plan to soon. I'm going to have to remove the case cover and try to isolate which fan it is. The case's rear fan is blasting alot of cfm though.. it blows a tapestry up against a wall over a foot away from it :p I mention the noise because I don't know if the cpu fan is running harder than it needs to since someone mentiond the 0405 bios and fans. I suspect it is more probably my video card hsfan though.

Here are a few pics of the zerotherm nirvana cooler installed, early on in my build. I had wondered whether it would fit. It fits even with the bulkiest ram - dominator + ram fans.

dom-ram_zcooler-2.jpg

qmicra_expcards1.jpg

I did have to take the plastic box-cage off my video card though. The lower inner corner was covering my sata ports completely. It was also tight with my pci sound card. The cover removes easily with a few screws.

palit-9600gt_case-cover-vs-sata-ports.jpg

ok i got the Mobo (yeah!!)
but i got a question (maybe kinda stupid but still kinda new to it all)
do u need the memory from the QVL or can u just buy any memory within the specs ??

Those modules on the QVL are just the ones that ASUS has actually tested and proven to work. ASUS would probably tell you its best to stick to that list but ASUS doesnt test every module in existance so others not listed may very well work and past history has shown there are RAM not on those lists that have worked fine. Usually I tell people to use the QVL when in doubt because its the safe bet of finding compatible RAM. In theory any RAM within the specs should work. There's just no guarantee it will. When a person chooses to use RAM not on the list he sort of becomes the tester/guinea pig. :D

Might be different resistors on the P5K... was that V in bios or read in windows with a util like speedfan or cpuz? Could be proc needs same V but Vdroop was higher with P5E

Both board (P5E-VM & P5K-VM) I did the Vdrop mod follow in this thread.

The difference voltage of 1.23 & 1.25 might be small, but consider the broad-range of options available on P5E, I was disappointed.

Also, I could not run FSB 500 with DDR2 1000 on 1:1 ratio. Memtest+ would generate error. (That was E8300)

But I can do FSB 438, DDR 1051 without any problem with 1:1.2 ratio :confused::eek:
(Q9450)

p.s. Mistake in previous post, I was using E8300 instead of E8400 . Sorry for the miss...

alright thnx Skott, yea i wasnt sure so i asked but still i prefer being the guinea pig :p
caus it will safe me alot of money if it works ocz 2x2gb (800) 4-4-4-12 is just 89 euro here and i always wonder why the QVL list are always sssssoooo expensive :p...

@ Elvn : can u give me the measurements of ur V card ?? and did it cover all 6 sata ports or 4 of the 6 ( and do u have any space left between the sata ports and V card where the 90 degree sata port could fit ?? caus i believe the gainward 1gb 8800gt (gs) is exact the same size :S

Will it breach any copyright or things? I don't want ASUS come after me :p

Why not just e-mail them and get the BIOS :confused::confused:

I have emailed them but have yet to hear back.

Would love it if you can post it or email it! Did they say its the final version of the bios or is it a beta?

edited my post a few back. My webserver choked on my pics file names for some reason. Should work now that I changed the filenames.

You can see in the pic below how the video card plastic cage was covering the sata ports. It was easy to remove though. I also could have dremeled a small section of that bottom corner if I had wanted, but I needed the room for my soundcard next to the cooler too.

http://www.3dalchemist.com/images/elvns-sff_3-08/palit9600gt_cover-vs-sata.jpg

ah k now i see yea.. hmm does ur palit gets plenty of air like that, with ur soundcard in front of it?? i know its a great cooler caus the gainward (i prob wanna get that one) has the same design, what are ur temps of ur gpu when in idle and stress ?

@Allsop or anyone else about the Vdroop mod .. i know it maybe sounds stupid but can sumone explain how the pencil mod works just pencil it ?? with what and how ?? ( i know u guys handled this so many times but i still dotn get it :s )

Thanks for the heads up pvhk, I will update tonight.

For the brave souls that try it before I do, please provide feedback.

if you want to flash 0503 bios be prepared to do a "cmos clear". couldn´t do anything with bei system till i made it... ;)

Just a small update on this board for me.. I still have the original factory bios.. I have since tried different settings but I am really enjoying my current settings..

I am at 3.5ghz, with a 500 FSB, on a quadcore processor no less! Using the 7x multiplier on my Q6600 kinda throws 3dmark06 for a loop.. LOL. CPU-Z, Everest Ultimate and Core Temp all read my CPU speed correctly.. This board rocks!

35ghz500FSB.jpg

3dmark0635ghz.jpg

DSCN9571.jpg

I haven't benchmarked/stress tested properly yet. Everything is staying nice and cool from what my monitoring software is telling me. However one fan in my rig was very loud and I narrowed it down the the video card hsf. Unfortunately the stock hsf power on my 9600gt is a mini 4 pin like a tiny audio plug so my cheap-o analog fan controllers I have laying around wouldn't fit it.

I decided to spend a bit extra to quiet my case down. The case is a very hollow metal which in most reviews is soundproofed, so I ordered some soundproofing material for the top+sidewalls. I also ordered a thermaltake DuOrb Cooler since I've read good things about gpu temps and low noise, and they work on 9600gt.

In some of my rigs years ago I used to attach a fan to the other side of the video card as well, and maybe aim a 120mm or dc-blower (snail-shell) fan down onto the card's heatsink from above to help keep the hsf running in lower rpm rather than ramping up rpm + db's. I may do this in the new rig too.

Even with the above additions/mods I think I could use a fan controller. My temps are all good but I think I'm pushing way more cfm than I need to. The only really loud fan is that gpu fan however.

Just a small update on this board for me.. I still have the original factory bios.. I have since tried different settings but I am really enjoying my current settings..

I am at 3.5ghz, with a 500 FSB, on a quadcore processor no less! Using the 7x multiplier on my Q6600 kinda throws 3dmark06 for a loop.. LOL. CPU-Z, Everest Ultimate and Core Temp all read my CPU speed correctly.. This board rocks!

35ghz500FSB.jpg

Hi officermartinez, can you share your BIOS setting? :D

With 0405 BIOS I can NEVER get E8300 to work at FSB 500. The memory will throw error when doing Memtest+ (Running FSB:DRAM = 1:1, DDR 1000). I even set the clock mutiplier to 6 so effectively running the E8300 @ 3G, to make sure it's not the CPU causing trouble. (P.S. I can run the RAM at DDR 1080 with FSB 450, no error one day loop..)

However I can get the CPU to work at 466*8.5 without any problem. Memtest+ or Orthos.

p.s. The person sold me the E8300 has no trouble making it run at 600*6 using ASUS Maximus. So it means the CPU is not FSB bounded..

Hi officermartinez, can you share your BIOS setting? :D

With 0405 BIOS I can NEVER get E8300 to work at FSB 500. The memory will throw error when doing Memtest+ (Running FSB:DRAM = 1:1, DDR 1000). I even set the clock mutiplier to 6 so effectively running the E8300 @ 3G, to make sure it's not the CPU causing trouble. (P.S. I can run the RAM at DDR 1080 with FSB 450, no error one day loop..)

However I can get the CPU to work at 466*8.5 without any problem. Memtest+ or Orthos.

p.s. The person sold me the E8300 has no trouble making it run at 600*6 using ASUS Maximus. So it means the CPU is not FSB bounded..

There was an interesting article that I read on the "new" half multipliers... I spent 15 minutes trying to find it but can't. Have you tried to use a whole number vs half number multiplier? I'd give it a whirl just to rule that out, right off the bat. I see you used a 6x multiplier..

My QX6700 did WEIRD things on a 6x multiplier (not saying yours is weird too, but that would effectively rule that out as well)! As for your testing, sounds like you pretty much covered all the bases.. Here are some noteable settings in my BIOS:

CPU Ratio Setting: 7.0
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
FSB Frequency: 500
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1001mhz (***This # may be different if using other than 1066 ram***)
DRAM Timing Control: Manual (***Use your manufacturers rated timings***)
--DRAM CAS# Latency: 5
--DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Activate to Precha: 15 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM Write Recovery Time: AUTO
--DRAM TRFC: AUTO
--DRAM TWTR: AUTO
--DRAM TRRD: AUTO
--DRAM TRTP: AUTO

Clock Over-charging Mode: 0.80v

CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.45v
CPU Voltage Reference: AUTO
CPU Voltage Damper: ENABLED
PLL Voltage: 1.64v
DRAM Voltage: 2.16v (***Use your manufacturers rated spec voltage***)
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.46v
North Bridge Voltage: 1.47v
North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO
South Bridge Voltage: 1.20v

Just wanted to give a heads up about the new bios. I flashed it this morning, and inital results look good. First and foremost, the system no longer hangs when disabling the onboard sound.

Secondly, i was having a problem getting anything recognized in my pci slot with 0405. Tried 2 sound cards, a wireless card, and a 10/100 nic, none were recognized, however the nic's link light worked jsut fine, indicating the card was getting proper power. with 0503, immediate detection and functionality of the pci slot (Hell yeah!)

I did not have an opportunity to test overclocking to see if any changes were made (vdroop corrections perhaps) but with the simple mods available, i'm not concerned. So far, I give this new bios two thumbs up!

good news!

So are there any problems with this board other than V-Droop?

Any new Ram Dividers?

Have you tried those settings yet?

Will test it today ^^. I'll also post my BIOS setting when back home.

It's really amazing to make the 4 core up to FSB 500 ;) Great work!

My current BIOS is 0502 and will try flashing to 0503 today. Let's see if there is any improvement!

Will test it today ^^. I'll also post my BIOS setting when back home.

It's really amazing to make the 4 core up to FSB 500 ;) Great work!

My current BIOS is 0502 and will try flashing to 0503 today. Let's see if there is any improvement!

Can't wait to hear the results! Good luck!

I'm going to start a thread about quadcores and front side buses.. Surely this isn't a rare thing.

I just flashed to 0503 and it appears that I've lost the ability to Manually set the CPU multiplier :eek: Anybody else flashed to 0503 yet???

Doh! It seems it wants a number instead of looking for "Manual" and then a number. And I have to write in "Auto" to switch it to auto, I'm sure that is different in 0503, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I just flashed to 0503 and it appears that I've lost the ability to Manually set the CPU multiplier :eek: Anybody else flashed to 0503 yet???

Doh! It seems it wants a number instead of looking for "Manual" and then a number. And I have to write in "Auto" to switch it to auto, I'm sure that is different in 0503, but correct me if I'm wrong.

the "+" and "-" keys are your friends.

Geez!!! Finally got the computer back together and working. I started yesterday replacing my old P4 rig with a P5E-VM, Q6600, Corsair XMS2's, all the while maintaining an XP / Vista dual boot. It was a pain getting all the right drivers rounded up but its back together, dual boots ( even though I had to reinstall Vista ) and both OS's are reactivated.

Haven't started to OC yet, my idle temps are in the low 40's and I've already reseated my Arctic Cooler 7 once so I want to be sure I don't have a heating problem right off the bat. Wish me luck or give me some tips! Nighty night.

Geez!!! Finally got the computer back together and working. I started yesterday replacing my old P4 rig with a P5E-VM, Q6600, Corsair XMS2's, all the while maintaining an XP / Vista dual boot. It was a pain getting all the right drivers rounded up but its back together, dual boots ( even though I had to reinstall Vista ) and both OS's are reactivated.

Haven't started to OC yet, my idle temps are in the low 40's and I've already reseated my Arctic Cooler 7 once so I want to be sure I don't have a heating problem right off the bat. Wish me luck or give me some tips! Nighty night.

Awesome! Do u have any pics of your setup??? You and I are running very similiar setups!

So are there any problems with the new bios ver 503 ? I've downloaded it but didn't want to mess with it until I have time over the weekend. :cool:

I don't see any problems with the new 0503 bios, but I need to poke around a little bit more. One issue is getting my SATA hd to run in AHCI mode, I've only got it working in IDE mode at the moment. Any ideas from anyone on this? I read the Microsoft workaround of going into the root file for msachi and changing a parameter from 4 to 0, but that still didn't work. Just trying to get the hd to ahci for faster operation and ncq on the seagate drive.

@ officermartinez --- Pics? Its nothing special. I've retrofitted an old HP Pavilion case so its like an old jalopy --- with mega-horsepower under the hood.

Hi, I just found this thread, I'm looking into getting this mb. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the P5E-VM and the P5E-VM DO?

Thanks.

Back