Asus P5B OC weirdness, help?

TS28

Limp Gawd
Hello, all.

I finally decided to give overclocking a try, and boy is this stuff weird.

First of all:

Asus P5B
E6600
2x2GB DDR 800

I took the Bus speed up to 329. THis should result in about 3.0ghz. Now, when I go into CPU-Z to check on that, it says my multiplier is now 6, instead of 9. If I stare at it for a little bit, it says the multiplier is 9. Then it goes back to 6....And then 9 for a sec...and then 6...

Is this normal? Am I actually getting the speeds I want? Or is something going wrong here?

Ugh. In BIOS, disable speedstep and EIST and all that shizzle.....

It's really not a big deal though. When your CPU get stressed it will ramp up the multiplier to what it needs to be. So when you need it the speed is there.

Thanks for the replies :D That worked great! And my idle temps @ 3.0Ghz is 32 and 33 :D

Under load, they are 43 and 42. Should I go any higher? What is considered the highest safe zone for the E6600 on a P5B?

Go for it!

Memory ratio to 1:1, then up the FSB to 378 for a cool 3.4GHz.

When you get to that level you may need a touch of voltage to the north bridge, and maybe a bit more tp the CPU.

Right now temps don't seem a problem. If you are reading them accurately you got until you near 70 before you even have to worry about it.

My ol' P5B deluxe was able to do 490FSB, so you might have some FSB headroom. Sounds like you got some CPU voltage overhead too.

If you're really daring, you may even want to trying kicking it up to 500FSB. My P5B Deluxe has been holding it flawlessly ever since I got it last summer. These are old boards but they sure are beasts. :)

I suggest you leave EIST/Speedstep and C1E enabled. It won't hurt your performance, and you'll save power and reduce heat when your system is idle.

Back