• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Asus P4pe Prescott Support

DrCool

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 10, 2003
Messages
73
I'm looking to upgrade my current system.

I have an ASUS P4PE Deluxe bios 1007
will my board work with an Intel P4 2.8E (prescott) processor?

I know the chip isn't listed on ASUS's supported CPUs for this board, but technically is it possible? Would this chip run at 1.50 volts instead of 1.40 volts?

From my research that would be the only reason why this board doesn't officially support prescott cpus. As it supports 800MHz FSB and HT.

thanks in advance

DrCool
 
i'm running a 3.2ghz prescott on an Asus P4P 800-E Deluxe right now... it's running perfectly smooth
 
Yeah but the P4PE and P4P800 Deluxe are completely different. I believe the P4PE is a 845PE based motherboard, not a i865PE based board. It only supports 533MHz CPU's. I even checked the Asus website on the CPU support and they don't have support for any Prescott's for that board.

Which shouldn't be surprising, since Prescott power requirements weren't given to board manufacturers until the I865xx and I875x chipsets and design guides were sent to companies like Asus. And several so called Prescott ready boards weren't actually built with Prescott's power in mind. So even on some so called Prescott-ready boards a Prescott chip may actually not work with the Prescott.
 
after doing some more digging, i found more detailed core voltage requirments for the Prescott CPU's. They run at 1.25 - 1.40 Volts. So chances are trying to run it at 1.50 Volts would kill it.

It seems a 2.8C (northwood) should run fine in my board, so I'll just go with that.

I'm currently running a 1.8 (L1 256Kb / 400MHz FSB), so I figure the speed boost should be substantial.
 
DrCool said:
after doing some more digging, i found more detailed core voltage requirments for the Prescott CPU's. They run at 1.25 - 1.40 Volts. So chances are trying to run it at 1.50 Volts would kill it.

It seems a 2.8C (northwood) should run fine in my board, so I'll just go with that.

I'm currently running a 1.8 (L1 256Kb / 400MHz FSB), so I figure the speed boost should be substantial.


your board doesnt do 800mhz FSB so your SOL for a 2.8c
 
The board will do 800mhz FSB with the 1005 or better BIOS. Asus says it'll go up to a 3.2EE.
 
You can run a Prescott in that board with one stick of ram. I researched it when I was considering upgrading to a Prescott 2.4a. I wound up buying an IS7 and 3.0C.

Either do the same, or deal with the one stick limitation.
 
Back
Top