Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Promise controller help..

n00binator

n00b
Bought the P4C800-E Deluxe to replace my old Intel 875PBZLK MB, but ran into a small problem with the Promise Controller.

Got the 74GBRaptor on ICH5 SATA 1 as OS, WD120 on ICH5 SATA 2 as backup drive, and just got another backup drive (WD200) to put on Promise Controller but this MSG (This device cannot start. (Code 10)) comes up after enabling the controller in BIOS and installing the latest Promise ATA drivers.

I changed the BIOS option to ENABLED first, then from RAID to IDE while booting, it detects my WD200 in Promise BIOS, but WINXP Pro SP2 is giving me that nice ! next to the device after installing driver 378ATA100130 from Asus' website, and the 200 HD is not showing up under Disk Drives. :(

MB is Rev 2.0, BIOS 1019

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Got the same Board. To get the Promise hard drive to work make sure the Bios is set to ide not raid. And in windows use your disk you got from asus and go to add hardware and install it manually. It will default to raid drivers if you do it automatically. So you have to manually add the hard drive through add or remove hardware. On the MoBo driver disk it is under the promise controller and then the 378SATA folder.

FAQ's @ ASUS has your answer. It only supports 2 SATA drives either Intel or Promise not both.

Leadsled said:
FAQ's @ ASUS has your answer. It only supports 2 SATA drives either Intel or Promise not both.

The Promise controller supports *four* SATA drives (SATA 1, SATA 2, SATA RAID 1, and SATA RAID 2); however, the Promise controller MUST be set to RAID for this to work.

To enable Multi-RAID (Intel or Promise) both SATA and PATA must be enabled. To use it with Intel, the Promise controller *must* be disabled. You can build your array during the POST process.

If you are not looking for RAID support, simply enable both SATA and PATA in the BIOS and leave the Promise controller set for IDE (or disable it, if you want to use Intel-native SATA and have a slipstreamed copy of Windows XP with SP1 or later).

Two of the four SATA connectors on the 800E Deluxe are set aside for the Promise controller and they are also labeled SATA RAID 1 and SATA RAID 2, respectively, if you will not be using the RAID functions of the Promise controller (or not using the controller at all), do NOT connect any SATA devices to these connectors! Instead, connect to SATA 1 and SATA 2; that way either the Intel *or* Promise BIOS can see them, depending on what you have the BIOS set for.

That may be what is tripping you up (you have a device connected to one of the SATA RAID connectors, but are not using RAID).

ON the subject of SATA, has anyone come up with a PATA-to-SATA data converter sufficient to handle *optical* drives? SATA-native optical drives are still as scarce as hens' teeth, and given the presence of two (or more in some cases) SATA connectors on most mainboards today (including my own P4C800E Deluxe), I'd like to move *whole hawg* if feasible.

You can, in fact, get 4 SATA devices (In a non-RAID config) on the P4C800E-Deluxe.

It requires updating your BIOS, changing some BIOS settings, managing your hardware settings in windows and moving some hardware around. But honestly, it's not that hard...... Once you actually figure it out. That part took me a few days.

I'm posting this here because there's a lot of stuff about this on the search pages, and this is one of the 1st few responses that comes up. Hope it helps someone out.

Since this forum won't allow attachments, you can find the directions for what you seek here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...ios-cpu/29928-hdd-hook-up-p4c800e-deluxe.html

This will work with multiple different setup combinations of non-RAID HDD's and optical drives. :cool:

I have 4 SATA drives on my P4C800-E Deluxe. OS Drive and Terabyte on Intel controller and 2x500gb in RAID1 on the Promise controller. Works fine for me.

The directions are for how to get 4 SATA devices with none of them in a raid config.

The promise controller works very well and very easy for RAID setups, getting it to work as an IDE setup is much more difficult and where people have problems

Back