Asus P4C800 E-Deluxe and Three SATA Drives

baldyguy

Limp Gawd
I currently have an Asus P4C800 E-Deluxe board and I’m running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2. I have 1 WD Raptor 74GIG on SATA1, and I also have a Seagate 160GB on SATA2. Both of these drives are separate and non-raid.

I’m thinking of getting a Seagate 200GB SATA Drive and putting that hard drive in SATA RAID1. Is this possible? I want this to be a separate SATA drive (non-raid). How can I go about doing this?

You can but the array capacity is the size of the smaller drive. Meaning about 40gb of space will be wasted. If your looking for gaming performance, the raid 1 won't provide enough of a gain over the Raptor to make it worth while.

Yes you can use the SATARAID1 with a non raided drive, just go into bios and set the raid option to IDE instead for the promise controller (pg 4-20 in the manual) There are no limitations to the size drive you can install. Then you'll have 3 drives just as you want them. I suggest you use the sataraid1 port for storage, since the promise controller (sataraid1, sataraid2) share bandwidth with the pci bus, so don't put the OS on there either
twajetmech

Back