ASUS Offers Solutions To Intel Sandy Bridge Issue

Thank you ASUS for offering a VERY reasonable solution to Intel's fail. Intel is the company that everyone should be pissing and moaning about giving compensation, not Asus. Come on people…

Thanks again Asus!

Asus and all of the other board partners had chipsets for months and also failed to find the issue.

WTF.. Asus is doing everything they should & then some for this issue.. If you want to bitch about not getting an upgrade option then return your fucking shit & but someone else's product..

& An advanced replacement with a CC is the norm.. They dont know that your going to return the old one.. Try getting a replacement cell phone without returning the old one.. You get popped with a 500 dollar charge on your bill for not returning a 100 dollar phone..

That is standard practice, if customers hadn't fucked over so many companies by asking for cross-ship then not returning the product, or getting cross-ship, then smashing the product with hammers / dropping screws on live motherboards, water damage etc knowing the new one was already on the way.... they wouldn't of had to go this route. I have never heard of anyone not getting it refunded and I work in a repair shop so I deal with RMA's almost daily.
I understand that. But it's not like they are going to use the board people ship back anyways. Asus will lose nothing by simply shipping us a replacement board.

So you expect them to just ship you a $200 product and hope you'll return it?
Like I said, they will not be able to resell them, so they are worth $0, not $200.
I'm sure that would work out well for them. And your credit card number and address are personal information you are reluctant to provide to a company in exchange for goods or services? It must be hard for you to shop. How many more made up reasons can you come up with to be pissed about?
Maybe I don't have a credit card to use so I don't have to go 2 weeks without a computer?

First you bitch about there not being an advanced RMA (which they clearly DO offer), just a knee jerk tantrum w/o taking the time to actually READ before commenting.

Then to save face you bitch about the existing advanced RMA process w/ credit card.... which is what every other manufacturer, vendor, 3rd party does in cases of advance returns....

pathetic...
Well there are two sections on the site that explain the same process of returning it. One has more information than the other. I would expect the FAQ to cover the questions (like consumers like I would have) but obviously "ship it to us then we return a new board to you" is supposed to be taken differently than shipping them a board and waiting a week for another to arrive.
good luck in school
Thanks!

Chris, how old are you?
You clearly must be a school kid. Your PS3 is over there--->

More to the point, instead of posting teenage drivel here, can you please learn how the REAL WORLD works? You've NEVER done an advance RMA before.

EVERY single manufacturer who accepts them REQUIRES you to give them your credit card information (yes, a debit card works too--Professor Falkentyne teaching you something). They do this because they want INSURANCE that you will return the board. Your card is **NOT** charged. The MOST that happens is you get a $1.00 temporary debit on the card (this isnt even a real debit-its basically a bank check is to insure that the card is valid; if you are an existing customer who has purchased items before, they might not even do the $1.00 check), and then that debit gets erased later), and then when they receive the old board, the card is released.

End of story.

I did an advance RMA with newegg at the end of December, OVER THE PHONE. Supplied my card info, they shipped the videocard, I returned it with the UPS label in the same box, RMA accepted two days later on their end, presto.

Seriously, if you don't know how the real world works, IT'S FINE TO ASK QUESTIONS. We WILL answer them as long as you ask nicely. But to run around acting like you KNOW how the world works when us older folk know far more than you, is /FACEPALM.
Quite an ironic post. An attack on my maturity with the age-old Internet come back that I must be a 10 year old. Quite frankly the mature response would of been to simply ignore my rant like most people did, not attempt to prove how mature you are, like we care? By the way, go to this page, scroll down to the 3rd email, and read it with it's response. You'll get a chuckle out of it.

I've done plenty of RMA's on old products, but not on manufacturing defects that are completely out of my control.

You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you? Clearly you're the wonderful type of person who prefers to sweep things under the rug just because it doesn't piss you off to the 9th degree. Tiger Direct is offering a PCI SATA card in an effort to mend this situation somewhat as soon as possible. Offering a refund is not enough when you factor in hassling with this situation in general, possibly risking your own parts, and the ever so much fun of RMA/Shipping Risks/Costs/Time.

I'll give you an example - I was at a nice sandwich joint about a month ago - we ordered our food in line, then sat down at a table where they are to deliver your food. We waited ~20 minutes before we stopped an employee walking by to note it. He said he would check. A couple minutes later, I got up to say something to the people up front about it. Before I could get back, the manager had already delivered the food fresh, apologized out the ass, and gave us (me and my significant other) $30 in gift cards. It was definitely quite the good gesture to keep your customer's happy. As we walked out, the manager walked by us and again kept apologizing and felt the need to offer us each a desert too

Needless to say, I was floored by such good management. Some people know how much word of mouth can hurt your business, and others really don't. Dan, you obviously have no idea how much this is the bare minimum of customer satisfaction.

I can definitely say after this due to the bare minimal offering of support that I am going back with a more satisfying brand such as EVGA.
until they do something to tick you off. ALL companies make mistakes, it is how the handle them that sets them apart. we just differ on what is required to make right the mistake. i know this , when my car was recalled for a safety defect, those bastards promptly notfied me and replaced the part, but why they didn't offer to upgrade me to next years model is beyond me! one thing i've learned from reading this and every other forum or blog is that every company messes up sometimes and they all have people who swear at them or by them. the " i"ll never buy from so and so again" is an endless drone everywher.:p

'

Allthough I appreciate ASUS's way of handling this for US users, I'm quite dissappointed that for, e.g. the Asus clients in Europe, no detailed replacement info is available on their site yet.....

Please post this info ASAP Asus!

Allthough I appreciate ASUS's way of handling this for US users, I'm quite dissappointed that for, e.g. the Asus clients in Europe, no detailed replacement info is available on their site yet.....

Please post this info ASAP Asus!

Agreed!

In the UK it looks like we'll have to run the RMA gauntlet with our retailers, no cross-shipping options or free sata cards for us, unlike our chums across the pond :(

I understand that. But it's not like they are going to use the board people ship back anyways. Asus will lose nothing by simply shipping us a replacement board.

Like I said, they will not be able to resell them, so they are worth $0, not $200.Maybe I don't have a credit card to use so I don't have to go 2 weeks without a computer?

I've done plenty of RMA's on old products, but not on manufacturing defects that are completely out of my control.

I think the thing they are trying to avoid are people looking to get a free MB with the advanced MB replacement program. If they don't take down any information (name, CC, etc) and just advance ship you a MB, anyone can start plugging away at the Asus site (and any other mfg for that matter) to get a free MB, or multiple ones. As I'm sure you're aware and have experience with, regardless if they can/cannot resell the product it's a generally accepted policy to return the defective items. This is typical for most all products, not just electronics.

If your BlueRay player breaks (or has a mfg defect) and you take it back to Best Buy, chances are they aren't going to fix it and resell it, but that doesn't mean they'll just hand you over a new one without giving back the old one first. If they ever did do something like that, there would be a line of people waiting to get free product (and I'd probably be one of them). Manufacturing defects obviously are out of consumers control and a pain for everyone - consumers, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers alike.

After reading through some posts, I think what some people take issue with on your posts is that some posts seem to be arguing and nitpicking just for the sake of complaining. Some of your arguments are valid (no CC, FAQ being unclear) but there will always be outliers from the norm and no process will ever be 100% error free and satisfactory. The outliers will certainly present different challenges and require a different way of handling it, but I'm sure most people will follow the traditional path of RMA'ing and not have a problem with it.

So if I understand correctly. Come march when the new rev boards come out. Asus will send us an email saying your new board is ready, please send us your old one and we will mail you the new one? Is that pretty much how they intend to do it?

So if I understand correctly. Come march when the new rev boards come out. Asus will send us an email saying your new board is ready, please send us your old one and we will mail you the new one? Is that pretty much how they intend to do it?

They'll also do an advance ship, if you give them a credit card number.

I obviously expected Asus to replace my motherboard but I'm fucking furious that they will not do an advanced return. I have online classes and one PC. I can't go without a PC for two fucking weeks while I wait for a return to ship.
wait for summer

You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you? Clearly you're the wonderful type of person who prefers to sweep things under the rug just because it doesn't piss you off to the 9th degree. Tiger Direct is offering a PCI SATA card in an effort to mend this situation somewhat as soon as possible. Offering a refund is not enough when you factor in hassling with this situation in general, possibly risking your own parts, and the ever so much fun of RMA/Shipping Risks/Costs/Time.

I'll give you an example - I was at a nice sandwich joint about a month ago - we ordered our food in line, then sat down at a table where they are to deliver your food. We waited ~20 minutes before we stopped an employee walking by to note it. He said he would check. A couple minutes later, I got up to say something to the people up front about it. Before I could get back, the manager had already delivered the food fresh, apologized out the ass, and gave us (me and my significant other) $30 in gift cards. It was definitely quite the good gesture to keep your customer's happy. As we walked out, the manager walked by us and again kept apologizing and felt the need to offer us each a desert too

Needless to say, I was floored by such good management. Some people know how much word of mouth can hurt your business, and others really don't. Dan, you obviously have no idea how much this is the bare minimum of customer satisfaction.

I can definitely say after this due to the bare minimal offering of support that I am going back with a more satisfying brand such as EVGA.

Oh I see this works. Your the type of person who thinks you deserve free shit at all times & If you dont get your way you piss and moan like a child. It all makes sense now.

I obviously expected Asus to replace my motherboard but I'm fucking furious that they will not do an advanced return. I have online classes and one PC. I can't go without a PC for two fucking weeks while I wait for a return to ship.

You took the Risk on buying a product early so its more your fault then Asus. Did you people honestly think that Sandy bridge was going to come out flawless? It sucks you will have to find other means to get your school work done but its life. Nothing is perfect by any means (Well except for 4LC4PON3 that is)

Last edited:
You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you?
Nor, clearly, do you understand what it takes to run a business.
I'll give you an example - I was at a nice sandwich joint about a month ago...
How a local shop deals with a handful of customers is entirely different than how a multinational company has to deal with a problem like this.
...I am going back with a more satisfying brand such as EVGA.
Which had no SB boards available when you made your purchasing decision. But don't worry, they'll eventually let you down too. Unrealistic expectations tend to have that problem.

Like I said, they will not be able to resell them, so they are worth $0, not $200.

Asus would have plenty to loose. Imagine what all of those people with two boards are going to do when they figure out they only need one of them...eBay. They wouldn't just be giving YOU a free board, they would also be taking away sales from themselves. You don't seriously expect them to shoot themselves in the foot, do you? That's no way to run a business.

As others have said, any motherboard left in the wild is potentially going to cost a future sale.

Also I believe they will be stripping them down for parts that can be reused.

Hoping they will offer advanced RMAs in the UK, but got a feeling that I'll be getting my RMA confirmed with my supplier then shipping it back after I've swapped in a replacement. Annoying as I'll be out the replacement cost for a few days, but better than be without a working computer.

Asus would have plenty to loose.

It's lose, not loose. Otherwise it's correct that it would be stupid for Asus to leave the inventory in the field. The defect is in a chip, one which can be replaced. Leaving the boards free to be used as replacements or perhaps sold as refurbs. Whether or not they're going to refurb the actual boards or strip them for parts is anyone's guess. Don't know what compensation details Intel has for the vendors. But regardless, it would be a pretty stupid idea to leave the defective ones in the field.

Back