ASUS Offers Solutions To Intel Sandy Bridge Issue

I obviously expected Asus to replace my motherboard but I'm fucking furious that they will not do an advanced return. I have online classes and one PC. I can't go without a PC for two fucking weeks while I wait for a return to ship.

Umm, Asus is doing advanced replacement, and extending it beyond year 1.

I'm very impressed that Asus is offering not only extended advanced RMA beyond year 1, but 0 cost shipping both ways (tho I bet that's part of intels 1 billion cost, they are underwriting it).
Umm, Asus is doing advanced replacement, and extending it beyond year 1.

Since when is pulling your board, sending it to ASUS, then having them return a board to you an advanced RMA?

And advanced RMA is you getting the replacement board, then sending the old part back.

Asus said:
Check to see if your product is affected here.
Fill out the Service Registration form.
Backup any data that you may have and prepare for return shipping with only the contents found in the original packaging. ASUS is not responsible for any lost data or return of any unrelated items.
Receive prepaid shipping labels from a carrier of ASUS’ choice and ship (either scheduled pickup or drop off at an authorized shipping location) the affected product(s).
ASUS will replace with an equivalent/new product(s) and ship your product(s) back to you.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Not advanced RMA, regardless of what they call it.

*edit*

Oh yeah, I also see they have a credit card option where I have to pay for the motherboard then they will refund me once they receive the old one back. I wonder how many of them they'll refuse to refund due to customer caused damage... I can see it now.

Not only are they assuming customers will steal the boards / not return them, I have to provide them with personal information. It's still bullshit.

Last edited:
Holy Christ! Did people not read what was presented? You do have options... a number of them in fact- return the board for a refund, use your board without issue since the issue has yet to be seen outside a lab, and/or wait until the new boards are ready and then a) get and advance RMA, or b) a cross ship, or C0 send yours in and wait for a replacement to arrive.

As far as the pissers and moaners... give me a break. This doesn't rate more than a *minor* inconvenience... you make out like the world is crumbling around your ears. Better call mommy to come save your ass...

For the reading challenged:

Three different return options will be offered upon the issuance and approval of the RMA as part of this return program.
1.ASUS will provide a cross-ship option that offers the customer the least amount of system downtime. Upon the receipt of a valid credit card number and approval, a temporary charge hold will be placed against the customer’s credit card for the MSRP value of the replacement product. The replacement product will be shipped to the customer and a prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided. Upon return of the defective product and verification against the RMA, the temporary charge hold on the customer’s credit card will be lifted.
2.ASUS will provide an advanced tracking option that expedites the delivery of the replacement product compared to our standard return process. A prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided by ASUS. A valid credit card number is required for this process. Upon notification that the defective product is marked as “In-Transit” at the carrier, ASUS will ship the replacement product to the customer. If the returned product does not match the RMA, a temporary charge hold will be placed against the customer’s credit card for the MSRP value of the product until resolution of the RMA, at which time the hold will be removed or the credit card charged for the MSRP value of the product.
3.ASUS will provide a standard shipping option. A prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided by ASUS. Upon return of the product to ASUS and after verification of the product against the RMA, a replacement product will be shipped to the customer.

You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you? Clearly you're the wonderful type of person who prefers to sweep things under the rug just because it doesn't piss you off to the 9th degree. Tiger Direct is offering a PCI SATA card in an effort to mend this situation somewhat as soon as possible. Offering a refund is not enough when you factor in hassling with this situation in general, possibly risking your own parts, and the ever so much fun of RMA/Shipping Risks/Costs/Time.

I'll give you an example - I was at a nice sandwich joint about a month ago - we ordered our food in line, then sat down at a table where they are to deliver your food. We waited ~20 minutes before we stopped an employee walking by to note it. He said he would check. A couple minutes later, I got up to say something to the people up front about it. Before I could get back, the manager had already delivered the food fresh, apologized out the ass, and gave us (me and my significant other) $30 in gift cards. It was definitely quite the good gesture to keep your customer's happy. As we walked out, the manager walked by us and again kept apologizing and felt the need to offer us each a desert too

Needless to say, I was floored by such good management. Some people know how much word of mouth can hurt your business, and others really don't. Dan, you obviously have no idea how much this is the bare minimum of customer satisfaction.

I can definitely say after this due to the bare minimal offering of support that I am going back with a more satisfying brand such as EVGA.

did you taste the semen in your food?

Since when is pulling your board, sending it to ASUS, then having them return a board to you an advanced RMA?

And advanced RMA is you getting the replacement board, then sending the old part back.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Although advanced RMA options are offered on our standard range of motherboards in the first year (P8P67 PRO and above) of warranty, we will extend this advanced RMA option to all products affected by this Cougar Point design error. Details of this option are available here - http://service.asus.com/notice/FAQ.aspx .

---

And from the page they say to check for advanced replacement:
# ASUS will provide a cross-ship option that offers the customer the least amount of system downtime. Upon the receipt of a valid credit card number and approval, a temporary charge hold will be placed against the customer’s credit card for the MSRP value of the replacement product. The replacement product will be shipped to the customer and a prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided. Upon return of the defective product and verification against the RMA, the temporary charge hold on the customer’s credit card will be lifted.

So try again where there is no advanced replacement?

^^^^^^^^^^^

*edit*

Oh yeah, I also see they have a credit card option where I have to pay for the motherboard then they will refund me once they receive the old one back. I wonder how many of them they'll refuse to refund due to customer caused damage... I can see it now.

Not only are they assuming customers will steal the boards / not return them, I have to provide them with personal information. It's still bullshit.

bigdogchris, are you and Cyraxx related?

did you taste the semen in your food?

lol, Cyraxx must not watch the movies or have inside knowledge of food customer service. When you act like a dick towards the employees and demand free food to be satisfied, I can assure you that "extra ingredients" are going in your food. This is why I don't try to pissed of my server or cook/chef.

That is standard practice, if customers hadn't fucked over so many companies by asking for cross-ship then not returning the product, or getting cross-ship, then smashing the product with hammers / dropping screws on live motherboards, water damage etc knowing the new one was already on the way.... they wouldn't of had to go this route. I have never heard of anyone not getting it refunded and I work in a repair shop so I deal with RMA's almost daily.

Stop being so cynical.

I obviously expected Asus to replace my motherboard but I'm fucking furious that they will not do an advanced return. I have online classes and one PC. I can't go without a PC for two fucking weeks while I wait for a return to ship.

Can you not use the pc's at your school?

also:

21m9j5l.jpg

Last edited:

Why didn't you bother to read the statement given at the link? Instead of that, you'd rather bitch about something that isn't even true.

I want to personally Thank Asus and the other manufacturers for offering an extended RMA process and replacement board.

I am not generally an early adopter but I have been around the block enough to know that there are going to be issues. I knew this when I purchased my parts. Anyone who is upset that they have to deal with issues knowing that they are purchasing a product in its early stages really needs to evaluate their choice of hobbies.

Technology isn't perfect, neither are manufacturers. People need to stop whining and be happy that their precious motherboards will be replaced.

If you aren't happy with the solutions offered by the manufacturers then you should have bought something that has been on the market long enough to have the bugs worked out.

So you expect them to just ship you a $200 product and hope you'll return it? I'm sure that would work out well for them. And your credit card number and address are personal information you are reluctant to provide to a company in exchange for goods or services? It must be hard for you to shop. How many more made up reasons can you come up with to be pissed about?

The difference is not being able to use what I purchased in the mean time. Believe it not - time is money. A dollar today is not necessarily a dollar tomorrow (unless you're a complete moron like paesan).

Your board works fine. You're not out anything while you wait for this to happen, you don't need a PCI SATA connector...because you're not having the problem that the recall was instigated by. Like Dan posted, it's a problem that 5-15% of people -may- have down the road, but right now you're not losing anything because your motherboard works.

Your board isn't worthless in the mean time. You CAN use your board right now...if you don't use the SATA connectors affected, you'll never even see the problem in the first place. This isn't an issue where your board is dead and you're losing time with it because of the recall.

I think the advanced rma option is fine.

Asus is doing about the best they can with the situation.

What do you expect?

Do you want them to pay you?

Wipe your ass?

Lay your wife?

Go to work for you?

stfu and return your board to the reseller if you don't want it.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue on using our boards until new chips are available.

Wow, some people really have entitlement issues. Bad things happen; forgive and forget.

Personally, I think the Asus policy is reasonable. The only issue I have is with their suggestion that people wanting refunds (like me) should go to their retailers NOW. Now?...with no replacement boards in place? That means I will be without a machine until they're ready...that's not cool.

I hate to say it...but I kind of agree with Cyraxx.

I am not angry or upset, but it IS a hassle - the whole situation...and it would definitely make me happier if Intel threw in a voucher for some discount of a future processor or motherboard or something like that.

Heck - even a $50 Amazon gift card would work...maybe they should strike up a deal with a company like that.

Either way - it is not ASUS's fault and they are doing things right...but I am disappointed in Intel as their little fuck-up is causing a lot of headaches.

You really have no clue what customer satisfaction means in this day in age, do you? Clearly you're the wonderful type of person who prefers to sweep things under the rug just because it doesn't piss you off to the 9th degree. Tiger Direct is offering a PCI SATA card in an effort to mend this situation somewhat as soon as possible. Offering a refund is not enough when you factor in hassling with this situation in general, possibly risking your own parts, and the ever so much fun of RMA/Shipping Risks/Costs/Time.

I'll give you an example - I was at a nice sandwich joint about a month ago - we ordered our food in line, then sat down at a table where they are to deliver your food. We waited ~20 minutes before we stopped an employee walking by to note it. He said he would check. A couple minutes later, I got up to say something to the people up front about it. Before I could get back, the manager had already delivered the food fresh, apologized out the ass, and gave us (me and my significant other) $30 in gift cards. It was definitely quite the good gesture to keep your customer's happy. As we walked out, the manager walked by us and again kept apologizing and felt the need to offer us each a desert too

Needless to say, I was floored by such good management. Some people know how much word of mouth can hurt your business, and others really don't. Dan, you obviously have no idea how much this is the bare minimum of customer satisfaction.

I can definitely say after this due to the bare minimal offering of support that I am going back with a more satisfying brand such as EVGA.

The only thing i get from this post is that you exspect people to hand you the world when something doesnt go 100% perfect. Im sorry to say if you think that the way its always gonna work you are sadly mistaken. Also there a HUGE difference between a $2 slice of pie for dessert and a multi million dollar booboo that wasnt even asus fault. Go back and ask that manager to give every customer $30 in gift cards and free dessert he will prolly laugh at you and send you packing.

USA and Canadian customers only? Pretty disappointed there's no info for us Aussies. They just send you on a loop, directing you to the website, which gives you a hotline to call, which when you call tells you "for all motherboard enquiries please contact your reseller."
It's great they're offering 2 way shipping for North American customers, but its not really fair if we have to pay for international shipping, especially when Intel is supposed to be footing the bill.

First you bitch about there not being an advanced RMA (which they clearly DO offer), just a knee jerk tantrum w/o taking the time to actually READ before commenting.

Then to save face you bitch about the existing advanced RMA process w/ credit card.... which is what every other manufacturer, vendor, 3rd party does in cases of advance returns....

pathetic... good luck in school

you gotta put in a ser with like ABM ACM or B1M
the rep on hotline said its a white sticker either between cpu and ram or under the PCI slots or ON the side of PCI slots

apparently they put it in dif places at dif times
I cant find it

anyway the guy said shipments will start in MAY

I looked at the serial number on the original box, and yes it started with ABM. Still no avail.

Chris, how old are you?
You clearly must be a school kid. Your PS3 is over there--->

More to the point, instead of posting teenage drivel here, can you please learn how the REAL WORLD works? You've NEVER done an advance RMA before.

EVERY single manufacturer who accepts them REQUIRES you to give them your credit card information (yes, a debit card works too--Professor Falkentyne teaching you something). They do this because they want INSURANCE that you will return the board. Your card is **NOT** charged. The MOST that happens is you get a $1.00 temporary debit on the card (this isnt even a real debit-its basically a bank check is to insure that the card is valid; if you are an existing customer who has purchased items before, they might not even do the $1.00 check), and then that debit gets erased later), and then when they receive the old board, the card is released.

End of story.

I did an advance RMA with newegg at the end of December, OVER THE PHONE. Supplied my card info, they shipped the videocard, I returned it with the UPS label in the same box, RMA accepted two days later on their end, presto.

Seriously, if you don't know how the real world works, IT'S FINE TO ASK QUESTIONS. We WILL answer them as long as you ask nicely. But to run around acting like you KNOW how the world works when us older folk know far more than you, is /FACEPALM.

Thank you ASUS for offering a VERY reasonable solution to Intel's fail. Intel is the company that everyone should be pissing and moaning about giving compensation, not Asus. Come on people…

Thanks again Asus!

The only reason you got so much free stuff is that you're what makes them money. If a mistake happens, they can overcompensate, spend a little money on you so that you leave with an "OMG AMAZING" experience about the place. You then tell your friends about it, who then patronize the place, some of them regularly. Word of mouth works BOTH ways.

I for one have never had an issue with ASUS yet, and while I don't have a sandy bridge system, I appreciate the efforts they are making to remedy it. It's not their fault the chipset was faulty. So it's not their responsibility to fix it. Yet they work to do it to please you, the customer, their bottom line.

tl;dr: shut up you're not entitled to the world. little shops that overcompensate have more to lose if they mess up, so when they do they make a big gesture so that you might promote their business to others, making them money.

****sigh****
I knew this would wind up as a 400 post flame war
C'mon mods - enough already

@bassdx
could be how you put in phone - with a 1 without a 1
all together or separated
etc.

How did you put in the number exactly?
You can show it here, no way to trace to you

For US and Canadian Customers Only - Please fill out the Service Registration Form to register your product(s) for replacement. Pending replacement part shipment schedules from Intel®, it may take several or more weeks for replacement services to begin. Customers will be serviced based on their order form completion date.

As mentioned preiovusly, how is ASUS dealing with non-US residents? I live in Australia and do not want to entail any downtime due to the shipping of my old board back, then a new one to me etc.

Upgrading - as in paying more for having the option to upgrade to Z67 by the time we finally get a replacement in March/April. Tiger direct is even offering free SATA PCI. You're out of your mind if you think anything other than this is the bare minimum that a major competitor should be doing.

Lucky to have an option to RMA at all? You're funny :p

Cool story, bro.

If thats all you want why not just get the refund from the RMA and buy the Z board?

I looked at the serial number on the original box, and yes it started with ABM. Still no avail.
If you have 0's make sure you are using the ZERO key and not the letter "O" key. That's all I can think of. The serial number was the top line of numbers on the sticker on my box... the P67 PRO version.

I don't - which is very much why I said this should be an option. OPTION. Such as the option of taking a PCI SATA card. Option of taking a full refund. Option of taking an advanced RMA... option...option...option... Not everyone wants a refund to hold $200 cash in their hand with their sandy bridge up their ass because it's worthless in the mean time.

This is a situation that obviously has many different angles. Not only is it a problem with a series of boards, but the ONLY boards.

The difference is not being able to use what I purchased in the mean time. Believe it not - time is money. A dollar today is not necessarily a dollar tomorrow (unless you're a complete moron like paesan).

A PCI SATA card isn't a solution. Those are shitty performers and even in a partially degraded state, the onboard SATA ports should be faster. That's how bad they are. What would you expect from a PCI card that costs $8. (Not that a card such as that would even be usable on boards like the P8P67 WS Revolution which lack legacy PCI slots.) Further more there is an option for advanced RMA. Evidently you are uncertain as to what that means in this industry. You keep saying you want options, options, options and that's what you have. You can get a refund for the board. Get a standard RMA, or an advanced RMA. That's more options than you typically get in such situations.

I hate to say it...but I kind of agree with Cyraxx.

I am not angry or upset, but it IS a hassle - the whole situation...and it would definitely make me happier if Intel threw in a voucher for some discount of a future processor or motherboard or something like that.

Heck - even a $50 Amazon gift card would work...maybe they should strike up a deal with a company like that.

Either way - it is not ASUS's fault and they are doing things right...but I am disappointed in Intel as their little fuck-up is causing a lot of headaches.

This is nothing. The i820 MTH issue and Intel FDIV bug were far worse and far more troublesome then this is.

If thats all you want why not just get the refund from the RMA and buy the Z board?

Sounds like a solid alternative to getting a new P67 board to me.

i found a sticker on the motherboard with some numbers, but apparently that wasn't the serial as they wouldn't accept it on the form. have to check the box when i get home.

so, what are they going to do with the boards we send back? seems like a waste if they have to scrap them. aside from the possibly-dodgy sata3 ports, mine works brilliantly.

i found a sticker on the motherboard with some numbers, but apparently that wasn't the serial as they wouldn't accept it on the form. have to check the box when i get home.

so, what are they going to do with the boards we send back? seems like a waste if they have to scrap them. aside from the possibly-dodgy sata3 ports, mine works brilliantly.

They may replace the chipset silicon and use them for warranty replacements if it's cost effective.

Make sure you select the board type first, before trying to enter the serial number on the form. It gave me an invalid serial number as well, when I entered the number and then changed the board type. I had to re-enter the number to get it to take.

****sigh****
I knew this would wind up as a 400 post flame war
C'mon mods - enough already

@bassdx
could be how you put in phone - with a 1 without a 1
all together or separated
etc.

How did you put in the number exactly?
You can show it here, no way to trace to you

Together, as it was shown on the box label:

eg.

ABMXXXXXXXXXXX (Not exactly like this, but I am on my laptop atm so I don't have the number on hand).

As mentioned preiovusly, how is ASUS dealing with non-US residents? I live in Australia and do not want to entail any downtime due to the shipping of my old board back, then a new one to me etc.

I don't know about Australia, but here in Japan, Asus sells through an importer so it looks like the exchanges will happen at the retail level. Japan is a small country though, so almost every retailer is "local"; shipping doesn't take more than a day.

And for all of you guys complaining about not getting a free upgrade, we don't even have the refund option. :mad:

http://www.asus.co.jp/news.aspx?N_ID=muuf66qDWTGM0OwX

Together, as it was shown on the box label:

eg.

ABMXXXXXXXXXXX (Not exactly like this, but I am on my laptop atm so I don't have the number on hand).

Two things come to mind
Turn off adblocker plus
Use IE (activeX compatible)
Any time you make a mistake you just cant redo it - you have to go back to first page refresh it and repick and go back to form
And like the other guy said watch out for 0's and O's

FWIW I called the ASUS P67 hotline and a nice knowledgable guy (in US - Cal.?) offered to take my info on the spot - no form, but I didnt have my ser.

Edit: and he said MAY for mobo's - so you got lots of time - 3 months

Back