Asus MX299Q 21:9 Monitor

I've wondered this as well. I'm looking at maybe buying a 29" but can't decide between MX299Q, PB298Q or the LG EB one.

Here in Sweden MX299Q is cheaper than PB298Q, has recieved excellent reviews from what I can see and has the same basic spec:s... so what's the difference?

29" height=23"=too short be be immersive IMO. Also, the frameless IPS inner black frame (video example) is so dark it makes the blacks look grayish vs. a display normal bezel with a similar contrast ratio when set to the same brightness. The NEC 29" is the only 21:9 monitor with a proper bezel but it has 1 frame of input lag & is overpriced.

The newer matte 1440p IPS/PLS panels have lighter matte (semi-glossy) coatings & better image quality

Last edited:
I actually have a 29" Dell monitor at work and I'd not recommend that one (also I agree that 2.35:1 is horrible for office work, just have it on loan). You get to choose between good colors and horrible input lag, or acceptable (but high) input lag in game mode but absolute shit for colors. At least in my experience...

Last edited:
29" height=23"=too short be be immersive IMO. Also, the frameless IPS inner black frame (video example) is so dark it makes the blacks look grayish vs. a display normal bezel with a similar contrast ratio when set to the same brightness. The NEC 29" is the only 21:9 monitor with a proper bezel but it has 1 frame of input lag & is overpriced.

The newer matte 1440p IPS/PLS panels have lighter matte (semi-glossy) coatings & better image quality

^^ That's the kind of information I was looking for. :)

I like the idea of more working space without quite as much need for GPU power as the 1440p monitors. I am after a glossy screen myself, and came across this gem http://www.amazon.com/Crossover-290HD-IPS-LED-Panorama/dp/B00DBP7WF2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3H9ATWX3EVW0V&coliid=I1FZGENZ8Q53DL, but there are no reviews on it anywhere. I will keep holding out until I can build a new rig, but I would grab a monitor before if I could get one at a great price....Qnix/Xstar prices have all gone up and require more GPU than the 21:9 monitors.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just purchased the Asus PB298Q on deal at Newegg. I'll let you guys know how it goes, I'm mostly into fighting games(KOFXIII Steam Edition) so I will test out input delay. Anyway from what I can tell about differences with the MX299Q is the stand and thickness of the monitor itself. The MX is a very "posh" looking screen while being very slim. The PB298Q has a different stand and is able to be swiveled into portrait mode.

Just purchased the Asus PB298Q on deal at Newegg. I'll let you guys know how it goes, I'm mostly into fighting games(KOFXIII Steam Edition) so I will test out input delay. Anyway from what I can tell about differences with the MX299Q is the stand and thickness of the monitor itself. The MX is a very "posh" looking screen while being very slim. The PB298Q has a different stand and is able to be swiveled into portrait mode.

...Aaaand thennnn???? How'd it go?

That bezel is hardly issue in my opinion in lit room. I don't find it annoying at all on the 23" model. It is rather personal thing though.

Back