ASUS ML249H

Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
29
Just got my Asus ML249H from amazon to replace my 2333T.

First impressions:

1. Has really good blacks (especially compared to my 2333 HD TN monitor, comparable to the 2333T).
2. No back light bleed, contrast shift is visible on edges of the screen but no worse than 2333T.No bad pixels (that I have seen so far, hopefully none exist)
3. Colors look good after some manual calibration: however, it seems red is under saturated compared to blue and green. I cannot get the color temperature controls in AMD Catalyst control panel (since apparently it's not supported for HDMI screens, only for DVI/VGA: any tips on enabling this?).
4. Have yet to test for ghosting but shouldn't be too bad considering I could game on the 2333T.

So far it's turning out to be a decent purchase.

If someone has inputs on best calibrating this screen, that would be great.
 
So ghosting is not an issue on this one (at least for me) but I am perplexed by strange banding upon image changes i.e. minimizing a browser window and going to the desktop displays a very banded desktop screen for a second (using the default windows 7 blue background)....can see this in some games too ...like nfs:hp initial screens...don't think I can calibrate this one out...will try..otherwise back to amazon it goes..which would be sad as it had so much potential.
 
If you mean you had the Samsung 2333t, then it is not a TN panel. The ML249H is a AMVA panel and the Samsung is a cPVA panel. Since they are both VA, they are actually pretty similar in workings with only some differences.

As for color banding, since its situational, I have personally seen some strange issues associated with HDMI through the graphics card software. But they tend to differ on some displays.
 
I had the 2333T - which is a cPVA panel and still have a 2333HD TN panel HDTV/monitor hybrid (a couple of years old now).

I see you mentioned HDMI might be related to this issue: Going to try the good old VGA connection and see if that changes anything.

P.S.: After searching a bit more, this issue seems very common with HDMI connections on certain monitor/video card combinations. Going to try ASUS bundled DVI -> hdmi cable and see it that improves things (should work as the OS will now think it's a DVI connection, should be better than my cheap $2 HDMI cable), if not will resort to VGA.
 
Last edited:
At this point, I'm not going to recommend either: the ML249H has great specs but I still have the banding problem regardless of input. Funny how my 2333HD TN panel has no such issue.

The 2333T is also good if you can find a good piece: after going through 5 of them my conclusion is that Samsung is just dumping them for a cheap price with little QA.

Looks I may make the switch to the U2412 from Dell.
 
Update: After fiddling with the settings as much as I could, I have decided to return the monitor. The banding issues were present regardless of the input type and the colors never looked that great: black levels were impressive though.

A bit disappointed but I think my next stop will be the ZR24W or U2412.
 
Back
Top