Asus Maximus VI Hero PCIe not detecting gfx cards

TheGamerZ

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got an interesting situation with a buddy's PC...

He's got an Asus Maximus VI Hero with an i5-4670k.

It was working perfectly fine until he came over today and we started tinkering in the BIOS to overclock it.

Now, it flat out refuses to detect any graphics card in any of the PCIe slots. We've cleared CMOS uncountable times, unplugged all but necessary hardware, tried multiple cards that are known to work, etc.

Now here's the interesting part...

We plugged his PCIe 1x Sound Blaster Z into one of the x16 slots, and it detected and worked perfectly?

So, why the hell is it flat out refusing to work with an actual graphics card?

We're at our collective wits end here...

Why not try reflashing the bios and see what happens on it then.

Last edited:
Just wondering what you guys did? BLCK maybe ran the PCIE slots too far? I've always been scared to mess with that but the strap seems critical if you go that route. Just speculating, forgive my uselessness.

Seems pretty open and shut to me considering you've cleared CMOS but I guess the only other obvious thing to try would be to choose the option in BIOS to revert to optimized settings.

Just wondering what you guys did? BLCK maybe ran the PCIE slots too far? I've always been scared to mess with that but the strap seems critical if you go that route. Just speculating, forgive my uselessness.

Seems pretty open and shut to me considering you've cleared CMOS but I guess the only other obvious thing to try would be to choose the option in BIOS to revert to optimized settings.

We loaded optimized defaults after every CMOS clear.

When you try to boot the PC with a graphics card and it fails, do you get a consistent BIOS error code, for example code 25, together with one short beep and two long beeps?

does Onboard (Intel) graphics work?
Is your Graphics priority set to PEG (discrete) or IGP (onboard)?

I had a similar problem. My GFX card would only run at x1.

This was out of the box. I returned it and got another.

Turns out it was a buggered up trace on the CPU from delidding it. -_-

It happens. He knew the risks going into it and I had JUST delidded mine a few minutes beforehand with no problems. I feel bad about it, but he's ordered another one now.

Back