ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Bios question.

Jimrob25

Weaksauce
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this motherboard. The version of BIOS I am currently using is 0705, and I checked the site and there were a few updated BIOS version available.....Would it be a good idea to try and update the BIOS?

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this motherboard. The version of BIOS I am currently using is 0705, and I checked the site and there were a few updated BIOS version available.....Would it be a good idea to try and update the BIOS?

General rule of thumb is if your stable and not needing something resolved(Cpu support,memory,etc)leave it alone.Asus easy flash through the bios is super easy and pretty safe to use,just do not flash from windows.

Been having alot of problems lately with my videocard.....I've updated the chipset and vc drivers.....figured it may be worth a shot.

I hope you don't mind if I "steal" this thread a bit ;)
If one buys the ASUS M4A79T Deluxe and a relatively new CPU(a CPU that gets support at a later bios version then the board has at the time of purchase), will one be able to flash the bios with that CPU to get full support of the CPU in question or will the system simply not POST at all?

I hope you don't mind if I "steal" this thread a bit ;)
If one buys the ASUS M4A79T Deluxe and a relatively new CPU(a CPU that gets support at a later bios version then the board has at the time of purchase), will one be able to flash the bios with that CPU to get full support of the CPU in question or will the system simply not POST at all?

As long as your current BIOS support any CPU from the same product line, the system will boot but it may not detect the CPU correctly so you need to flash to a newer BIOS. Sometimes it won't boot at all or it will have difficulties to boot like it will only boot with one RAM stick and etc.

So... It will boot but sometimes it wont?
That makes it kind of a gamble :eek:
CPU in question is either 605e(45W) or 905e(65W)...

I don't know how CPU-detection etc works so this might sound "stupid"...
Why not have CPU-spec(multiple/busspeed/voltage and whatever) stored at a specific address at a specific pin of the CPU(yeah, I don't know how CPUs work either :D) for true PnP and no more need for bios updates just to add CPU-support for a CPU-version that doesn't differ from the CPU-model-spec?

I'd recommend the latest BIOS. I haven't seen any stability issues, but I had no problems flashing it and my overclocking seems a bit more flexible now. I mean, I'm still topping out with my cooling setup, but it doesn't seem to argue with me as much when I try to run things.

Been having alot of problems lately with my videocard.....I've updated the chipset and vc drivers.....figured it may be worth a shot.
As I took the liberty of stealing your thread a bit, it's only fair that I try and help you with your issues =)
What are the issues like? BSOD/Freeze/Spontaneous reboot/Something else?
How long was it stable before the issues started?
Did you make any changes to hardware/drivers(even versions)/software(even versions) close to when the issues started?

So... It will boot but sometimes it wont?
That makes it kind of a gamble :eek:
CPU in question is either 605e(45W) or 905e(65W)...

I don't know how CPU-detection etc works so this might sound "stupid"...
Why not have CPU-spec(multiple/busspeed/voltage and whatever) stored at a specific address at a specific pin of the CPU(yeah, I don't know how CPUs work either :D) for true PnP and no more need for bios updates just to add CPU-support for a CPU-version that doesn't differ from the CPU-model-spec?

If it will boot then it will boot, what I mean by sometimes it won't boot is, for some CPUs, it won't boot unless you are using only one RAM stick and etc.

A friend of mine has a M3A32-MVP Deluxe and he needs a BIOS update to solve the big mouse cursor issue on his HD5770.

I usually like to keep up to date with my Bios Firmware. Usually you can read the details and judge for yourself if you should install it or not. The built in easy flash works great for my M3A78-T motherboard.

I had just noticed a new 1601 release for my board, it contained an update about Kingston SSD drives. I updated anyways and I swear. With Raid enabled and my G.Skill SSD the raid screen auto detect would take up around 7-10 seconds alone before I flashed with the 1601. Now after flashing it only takes about 2-3 seconds (or period indicators onscreen during detect).

Only word of caution is that sometimes using the easy flash and updating my firmware, once done and reboot, all my settings would be at default. So you might want to write down your settings before flashing if you don't remember any custom settings you made. HD boot order can be a good one if running more than one drive!!!

I also like to keep up to date every 6 months or so, like an annual or semi annual cleaning, decluttering of the hard drive etc. and bios update.

I must've updated over a hundred times over the last 10 years with never a problem or issue, even did it over windows a few times but the new bios updaters from within bios work great with a mem stick.

As said above, very rarely does an older bios give you new hardware problems, those are 90% drivers in my experience and with vid cards, about half and half cleaning out all the old drivers first and using beta or third party drivers.

Its no big deal mine came with the 0705 version I upgraded it to the 1202 version and it enabled the ACC functions capabilities also it opened up the 4th core on my Phenom II x3 BE 720.Little more tweaking abilty for OCing if your into that.I beleive the latest update is 2202.

the first thing i with motherboard is update to latest bios, then after everything installed and working fine, i'd never check the bios version again until new problems arrived and time for more troubleshooting...

Back