• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS M2N-E SLI Recommended WATTS?

Razster

n00b
Joined
May 16, 2001
Messages
31
'm having an issue with my ASUS M2N-E SLI NF500 AM2: I bought a COOLER MASTER REAL POWER 450W RS-450-ACLY figuring 450watts was plenty.

When I try and start the system, the CPU fan doesn't run, the system doesn't boot and it is just blank.

Do I need more than 450watts? Or is this something to do with the PSU I bought?
I've checked google and review sites on recommended PSU's but found nothing, even Asus's website isn't any help.
 
I have the M2N-SLI Deluxe and the Manual states:

Minimum 600w PSU for a "fully loaded system."

However I ran my system on 450w for a few days with no issues.

Did you plug in the 4 pin MOBO connector? Is the 24pin connector in properly? Does the MOBO LED light turn on when the PSU is switched on? Is your Case Power switch cable plugged in the correct spot? Do you have a spare power supply to try? Have you tried reinstalling the MOBO to make sure it wan't grounded?
 
The Asus 7300LE 128mb.

14-121-009 VGA ASUS N EN7300LE/HTD/128M R 1
23-126-178 KB LOGITECH|MEDIA KEYBOARD ELITE 1
13-131-096 MB ASUS M2N-E SLI NF500 SLI AM2 1
19-103-637 CPU AMD|A64 3200+ 2.0G AM2 512K R 1
26-104-192 MS LOGITECH|LX7 BLU CRDLS OPTCL RTL 1
35-106-086 CPU COOLER THERMALTAKE|CL-P0371 R 1
20-211-064 MEM 512Mx2|A-DATA DII800 ADQVE1908K 1
 
I have the M2N-SLI Deluxe and the Manual states:

Minimum 600w PSU for a "fully loaded system."

However I ran my system on 450w for a few days with no issues.

Did you plug in the 4 pin MOBO connector? Is the 24pin connector in properly? Does the MOBO LED light turn on when the PSU is switched on? Is your Case Power switch cable plugged in the correct spot? Do you have a spare power supply to try? Have you tried reinstalling the MOBO to make sure it wan't grounded?

I tested the 450 on another SLI AMD 64 system and it ran ok just now. I haven't tested the ground.

The LED lights up, I have the 4 and 24 pin connected.

Thanks for your help by the way :)
I will test ground in a minute.
The ram is rated at 1.8v so I know that is ok.
 
Noob Question: Can the 20+4 pin connection work or does it have to be straight 24pin connections, because I don't think I understand the difference if their both 24?

I look at new egg and see 20+4 and 24 main connection pins for PSU. This mobo take 24, does the 20+4 = 24? Of is that the PS4 connection?

Argh!
 
Should be fine..... I have an old PSU and I used a 20 to 24 pin adapter... no problem so far.....
 
the cpu fan isn't on... are any other fans on? is the mobo powered up? or did it just get a jolt of power then shut off? did you try re-seating the cpu (but the cpu fan should still spin up... weird)?
 
Hmm, sounds like one of your parts are bad. Most likely the Motherboard is dead. Check it over to see if there are any brocken pieces or capacitors (the little Pop can looking things) They should all be completly flat on top with no bulging. Check to see if maybe one has been bent over.

If not, I still say it's the MOBO. If you just got it, RMA it for an exchange. If not, Asus has a 3 year warranty. This may save you alot of trouble-shooting time, unless someone else can give you a good suggestion.

Obvioulsy if you have another motherboard that is compatible then swap it in to test the other parts. Otherwise,.....mmmm....make sure all you have hooked up is the CPU, one stick of mem, and the video card to rule out some random componet issue.

Good luck and don't let it get you down, this is the fun part of building your own computer right...:rolleyes:
 
I have the M2N-SLI Deluxe and the Manual states:

Minimum 600w PSU for a "fully loaded system."

That of course is waay overstated. They have to protect themselves from cheap PSUs with their bloated specifications. Although, that Coolermaster Realpower 450W is rather weak itself with only 22A available on 12V line. It depends what CPU and card do you want to use with it.
 
Here is what happened.
The Thermaltake Heat-sink I bought from Newegg was broken and I didn't know until I tried it on my home system.
Came back to work and installed the AMD OEM heat-sink and the mobo booted, but gave me 3 beeps which is a ram issue, turns out I didn't have dual channel but just normal... So I placed them in different banks and it started right up - the 450watt Coolermaster works perfectly and now everything is right with the world :)

Thanks for your help.
 
Hmm, sounds like one of your parts are bad. Most likely the Motherboard is dead. Check it over to see if there are any brocken pieces or capacitors (the little Pop can looking things) They should all be completly flat on top with no bulging. Check to see if maybe one has been bent over.

If not, I still say it's the MOBO. If you just got it, RMA it for an exchange. If not, Asus has a 3 year warranty. This may save you alot of trouble-shooting time, unless someone else can give you a good suggestion.

Obvioulsy if you have another motherboard that is compatible then swap it in to test the other parts. Otherwise,.....mmmm....make sure all you have hooked up is the CPU, one stick of mem, and the video card to rule out some random componet issue.

Good luck and don't let it get you down, this is the fun part of building your own computer right...:rolleyes:

Yeah I made sure to do a once over on the compassitors after using Abit's for so many years, which the pop like candy here and there.

This isn't my first PC I've built - just one that stumped me because I've not built a newer system since my Socket A days... So I didn't know how much these puppies sucked up in wattage.

My work PC I built for my self was easy - A8N-SLI Prem with a Cooler Master 700w and AMD 939. - Booted up first time np.

This one was for our secretary using her old IDE HD... That too was a problem, I had to do a Windows XP repair in order to kill the older Gigabyte Mobo Drivers... I was just not prepped for this at all.
The thing that screwed me up was the broken fan, I figured there wasn't enough power to run the fan, so I was freaking out. We have tight deadlines at my company and I didn't want to get docked pay let alone waste time waiting for another PSU. oy!

Anyway, thanks for the help.
 
Back
Top