• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS Lion Square @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,452
ASUS Lion Square - The Lion Square incorporates a nickel-plating copper base, four copper heat pipes, aluminum wave fins, and a 9 cm LED inner fan. ASUS claims that this Lion Square can keep your processor safe for up to 180w. Even good for your Phenom guys!

The Lion Square is a solid heat sink in both construction and performance. I was really surprised to see the level of performance ASUS was able to squeeze from a 92mm fan. ASUS is really starting to make its presence known in the enthusiast heat sink market. The Lion Square is one of the more expensive heat sinks reviewed here today though you certainly get what you pay for. Besides cooling down that furnace we call the CPU, the Lion Square shows some love to the rest of the motherboard with its downward facing fins. Any airflow, even a small amount, will certainly keep those voltage regulators happy.
 
a circle heatsink with square in its name. brilliant!

I was thinking the same thing. It is a good looking cooler for those worried about asthetics. I dont think I will be upgeradeing anytime soon from my Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro.
 
I was thinking the same thing. It is a good looking cooler for those worried about asthetics. I dont think I will be upgeradeing anytime soon from my Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro.

Thermaltake always seems to focus more on looks so thats no surprise. At least its not as ugly as their cases.
 
Looks like I have a replacement for my Thermalright 948u and that bastard 92mm Tornado!!
 
How come the Xigmatek is not included in the reviews? Seeing as how it competes with the TRUE on a price/performance basis and given it's evident popularity, it seems that it would be a shoe-in for inclusion.

That aside, great review. I really love the value chart. Puts it into perspective.
 
How come the Xigmatek is not included in the reviews? Seeing as how it competes with the TRUE on a price/performance basis and given it's evident popularity, it seems that it would be a shoe-in for inclusion.

That aside, great review. I really love the value chart. Puts it into perspective.

I agree. Unless you have specific installation requirements, I don't see any reason to not get the price/performance leader, currentl $26.99 AR with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
 
Well, I am not saying you haven't reviewed the cooler. I suppose I was just asking if we are going to see the cooler included in the chart(s) of future reviews. Especially since the TRUE is at the other end of the spectrum in regards to price, yet they both cool competitively.
 
good to know that Thermalright is still making the best heatsinks out there. With the Scythe S-FLEX fans I can barely hear my PC and I still have great air flow.

The Lion Square does have an interesting design.
 
Thermaltake always seems to focus more on looks so thats no surprise. At least its not as ugly as their cases.


It's made by Asus, not TT.

nice looking HSF, thou it think i'll stick with with my ZeroTherm
 
What's the max airflow on the fan? I couldn't find any listing of it, or did I miss it somewhere?
 
Oh, another thing. Are you guys going to start changing your cpu fan reviews if this design takes off? You know, include motherboard temps around the cpu as well. I think that's what this review is missing. I mean it is one of the features for the HSF right?
 
Oh, another thing. Are you guys going to start changing your cpu fan reviews if this design takes off? You know, include motherboard temps around the cpu as well. I think that's what this review is missing. I mean it is one of the features for the HSF right?

Perhaps. Wouldn't a good air intake and exhaust flow through the case solve that issue?
 
using a Sperry Digital 4 Point thermometer...Now you may be asking why we didn’t just use a quad core CPU and continue monitoring temperatures through software. Take a look at this table. These measurements were recorded using the Intel stock cooler with the CPU at default settings. Core-Temp reports the individual temperature from each core. With large discrepancies and variations between programs, this is why we chose hardware monitoring.

Anyone able to post linkage to an article re how to mount/attach such temp monitoring HW to the CPU? Googled it but couldn't find anything. Thx.
 
I agree. Unless you have specific installation requirements, I don't see any reason to not get the price/performance leader, currentl $26.99 AR with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

Wow, that is quite possibly the ugliest cpu cooler outside the Jetengine by asus ever haha. ;)

I think I will stick to my Zalman CPNS9700 for the time being, but This new asus went near the top of my list next time I revamp the look of my PC. Very nice cooling and very nice looking.
 
Wow, that is quite possibly the ugliest cpu cooler outside the Jetengine by asus ever haha. ;)

I think I will stick to my Zalman CPNS9700 for the time being, but This new asus went near the top of my list next time I revamp the look of my PC. Very nice cooling and very nice looking.

that depends on how you see ugly and beauty, For myself there is an elegance in function and form, simple and effective. It could be considered very attractive in the same way a smart woman is more alluring then dumb pretty one.

then again I no long use a case with a window and could care less on how it looks compared to the performance.
 
I am one of those guys that doesn't overclock, but what can i do with an AMD 5000+......
 
Wonder what would happen tempwsie if you attach a bigger fan to the HS.

Since the sperry probe reports temps similar to the Asus probe and Speedfan, this would be the temp to focus on (CPU Temp).
 
that depends on how you see ugly and beauty, For myself there is an elegance in function and form, simple and effective. It could be considered very attractive in the same way a smart woman is more alluring then dumb pretty one.

then again I no long use a case with a window and could care less on how it looks compared to the performance.

Very true, but it is still hideous looking and honestly the performance difference is rather minimal. But it is like anything else and personal taste over everything. Of course if you do not have a window then it likely doesn't matter.

Concerning the analogy of a smart woman vs a dumb pretty one. Eh, smart is obviously preferred, but if she is ugly enough you can't get it up then what's the point? :rolleyes: heh sorry couldn't resist.
 
Great review as always, but I just can't grasp why huge companies like Asus can't come out with a better performer. I would think they'd look at everything out there and learn from other companies mistakes or their own. Why come out with a more expensive heat sink that doesn't perform as well as cheaper ones already on the market? :confused:
 
I imagine it is because there are so many patents on the designs and funtionalities of the coolers already out.
 
Installed the lion square in my pc over the weekend. It took some time for me to get my mobo out of the case, but I can verify that it does cool off the chips around the cpu area on my formula rampage mobo. My temps went down a great deal, as I was oc'ing my q6600 from 2.4 to 2.95. I'll probably be pushing it to 3ghz real soon.
 
not only to non-overclockers exist on [H], there were a bunch at RoGcon with the audacity to admit it!!! to kyle!!!
 
Picked up one of these a few days ago for my e8500. Loving it. =)

48C under full load
 
Just like Earth said, I picked one up too! Great temps and a hell of a unit
a223c6b3710f85df22e9377d6c4f7553.jpg
6c1da886822c67822bcf3679d04369fa.jpg
0e3a37aa85a14e359df74fa77eded3f6.jpg
 
It is a very good unit. Not the best, but damn good. Hard not to be happy with.
 
I had the Lionsquare on a XFX 790i Ultra board. Went and bought a EVGA X58 because im done with Nvidia motherboards and not only does the lionsquare not fit, but there is no kit to put it on a socket 1366. so i needed a new heatsink unexpectedly. Got a Thermalright 120 All copper. WOW this thing keeps it chill for real
 
Back
Top