Asus laptops?

Superfly3176

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone have any experience with Asus laptops? Good, bad indifferent. How is build quality and such?

I've had one for about a year now. Its been fantastic. I got a great deal on it last black friday. I have had absolutely no problems what so ever.

I've had the Asus in my sig built 3 years ago and it's still running strong. I'm surprised that the hard drive hasn't failed yet, since I've accidentally dropped my laptop once, although it was in the laptop bag. I kind of wish it could fail now, so I can get another one :).

I've had an Asus A8Jp since February '07 - love the thing to death. It's actually one of their "crappier" build items and has held up. I had to send it in for an issue with cracks on the LCD bezel, but there's been a lot of their issues. When I got it back, I had problems with the lid staying closed and had to call back - their support had changed. When I sent it in the first time, it was painless and everything taken care of in the US. Now they've outsourced their tech support, which I'm guessing is because of the EEE's popularity.

How about sqeaks? I am guessing these are made mostly of plastic.

I am eye balling one of the Asus units on Newegg right now.

Mine still has no squeaks, no cracks at seams, and still a pretty stiff lid (can barely open with one hand, even though your not supposed to). Ive lost a screw holding the plate on the bottom though.

I bought this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220403

Came yesterday, very nice and well built. I was scare when i saw the alone in the dark sticker on it that said 9700 gt graphics, not that it's a bad card but I wanted the 9800 GS. So when i booted i checked right away and it was the 9800GS.

I didn't play around with it much but will over the next few days.

That is the unit I am looking at picking up. Can you tell me more about it? The newegg page is lacking on specs. What does it have for OS? x32 or x64? Blue tooth? Gigabit lan? ports?

x64 vista premium, gigabit ethernet, centrino wireless

usb (multiple), firewire, SD card

I really didn't get the chance to use the extra software much yet. I can probably let you know more tomorrow as I'll have time to play. Thus far it seems fairly annoying. Everytime you use the Resume button this splash screen comes up, you exit and it enters you into windows.

Seems like there's a little bloatware, but nowhere near as much as Dell/HP/Emachine/Etc.

There's 2 partitions, but one HDD. A "Vista" and a Data partition both equal in size. There's also a hidden fat32 partition.

A mate of mine swears by them. They're better than paying for a name - pay for decent spec instead.

I just ordered one today, the one quoted a few posts above.

Hoping to have it Tuesday, I did shell for the over night shipping.

I am hoping its not a disappointment. I am picky.

I just ordered one today, the one quoted a few posts above.

Hoping to have it Tuesday, I did shell for the over night shipping.

I am hoping its not a disappointment. I am picky.

I however don't know what it is but there's something I'm disappointed in. While the computer runs most games great, it seems to have some startup, and overall lag in WoW. All other games I play it doesn't have this problem so it may be a setting.

The sound is okay. After listening to it for awhile I can't say its great or horrible.

I however don't know what it is but there's something I'm disappointed in. While the computer runs most games great, it seems to have some startup, and overall lag in WoW. All other games I play it doesn't have this problem so it may be a setting.

The sound is okay. After listening to it for awhile I can't say its great or horrible.

Mine will be here tomorrow.

I do not play wow, so I won't be able to help ya there.

I would try to google the start up issues in general of wow, and see if there is some common ground between your system and what is causing it. It could be the x64 of windows, IDK.

Eh, I think it's add-ons with the game. Prolly if i took some of them out i'd be fine. I been listening to music on it all day. Music sounds good, some game sounds are better then I'd expect from a laptop. I've seen some pretty poop laptop sounds but this is nearly on par with my desktop in terms of quality.

It stays pretty cool when you are just doing office stuff (word, music, internet, etc) and not gaming. Battery Life while gaming is bad, but I pretty much expected that.

I just want to comment that the ASUS support here in the US is fantastic. My G1S-A1 was affected by the dreaded nvidia video chip problem. I called them up and they emailed me the overnight fedex rma sticker. I dropped it off at Fedex on a Wednesday evening and by Friday it was already back at my house!

Out fo box experience was dissappointing.

Instead of getting the options of what it installs, it installs all the crap for you.
Another thing, when I was first using it out of the box, every time I would hit tab it would do the alt+tab thing. I removed all the chinese keyboard configurations and now it seems fine.

The keyboard feels weird. I am on the fence about that. The LCD hinges could also be stronger IMO.
The power cord is short.
A lot of stickers on it.

I think thats what I have for the cons out of the box.

Pros, um...it looks nice?

Out fo box experience was dissappointing.

Instead of getting the options of what it installs, it installs all the crap for you.
Another thing, when I was first using it out of the box, every time I would hit tab it would do the alt+tab thing. I removed all the chinese keyboard configurations and now it seems fine.

The keyboard feels weird. I am on the fence about that. The LCD hinges could also be stronger IMO.
The power cord is short.
A lot of stickers on it.

I think thats what I have for the cons out of the box.

Pros, um...it looks nice?

The Alt+Tab thing is your fault TBH. Mine gave me the option of language packs to install. I haven't had a problem with the Tabbing. All laptops come with alot of stickers. I totally agree on the bloatware though. Not sure about the LCD hinges, I never owned a laptop before this one.

The power cord is like 6-8 Feet. Not sure how big you need it, but I wouldn't call that short. Every laptop I've seen comes with alot of stickers. Just remove them?

Back