Asus GTX460 1GB Overclocked Edition With DirectCU Cooler $210

SylarPowers

[H]ard|Gawd
I just snagged two of these Asus cards in the title here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WUXNPO/ref=oss_product

SLI for $420 on Overclocked GTX460's with advanced DirectCU cooling and voltage features. These were like $260-something each for the longest time (list is $277 plus change). Now I'm off to the sell/trade forums to sell my reference style XFX 5850!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Darn it! I just paid about that for two ASUS 465s from Newegg!

Gah, just ordered and it's already back ordered. Estimated delivery August 25-September 2, even with Prime :(

Gah, just ordered and it's already back ordered. Estimated delivery August 25-September 2, even with Prime :(

I don't think it's backordered much. It's most likely just not out yet. It has been listed on Amazon as a preorder stating it was about a month out for a a good week. Now it's an add to card deal for 2-4 weeks out. My delivery date is the same as yours in fact. I could have ordered it last week, and maybe it would arrive a week sooner, but the price is much better now! I can wait a week. But backordered or not, it never shipped yet, and never listed an earlier date to ship.

Last edited:
Ah, weird... When I originally clicked on it I must have missed the "Usually ships within 2-4 weeks" bit. Coulda sworn it wasn't there initially. Strike what I said then, haha. Just excited to finally be upgrading after 5 years :)

yea, I owned a 5850, and even I had to upgrade, this is a better deal than I thought. I should have listed it as [H]ot!

oops, sorry the newegg card is not a TOP edition, amazon says theirs is...

This is the 1gb overclocked DirectCU edition GTX460, I can't find a better edition anywhere from Asus. Interestingly, the non overclocked version of the DirectCU 1gb on Amazon is more money right now. Huh.

Amazon is better in my case, even if I have to wait. I love Newegg, but I have credit with Amazon, plus Newegg will charge me tax in NJ where Amazon will not.

Last edited:
This is the 1gb overclocked DirectCU edition GTX460, I can't find a better edition anywhere from Asus. Interestingly, the non overclocked version of the DirectCU 1gb on Amazon is more money right now. Huh.

Amazon is better in my case, even if I have to wait. I love Newegg, but I have credit with Amazon, plus Newegg will charge me tax in NJ where Amazon will not.

Same here... Living in CA means putting up with Egg tax. This deal is killer, though, even if I do have to wait until after I start grad school to get it in my new rig.

I love Amazon to death. Fast shipping and no CA tax. Their prices are usually really competitive too. Would've jumped on the GTX 460 train if I didn't get the 5870 a few months ago.

Does anyone know if amazon chargers your card at the time of purchase or when the item ships? I want in on this deal so bad but funds are tight for the next 2 weeks or so.

Amazon will only charge when it ships, but they may put a dollar on your account to check if it's real. I think. Back when it was $265 or so, I must of ordered and canceled this card a bunch of times, nothing happens. But for this price, I will stick with it for sure.

By the way, TC, thanks a billion for posting this. I've been wanting to pick up a GTX 460 for my build and I woulda missed this for sure.

My XFX 5850 reference card sold quick for $224, the reference cards are still popular and impossible to find (you can adjust the voltage for overclocking, unlike the non reference XFX cards of today), so after shipping and paypal costs, I made about $200. So I spent $220 to upgrade from the XFX 5850 to overclocked Asus DirectCU GTX460s in SLI. I think i did good.

My XFX 5850 reference card sold quick for $224, the reference cards are still popular and impossible to find (you can adjust the voltage for overclocking, unlike the non reference XFX cards of today), so after shipping and paypal costs, I made about $200. So I spent $220 to upgrade from the XFX 5850 to overclocked Asus DirectCU GTX460s in SLI. I think i did good.

Awesome... Now if I only I could get someone to buy my 7800 GTX for $200 I'd do the same thing, haha. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone waking up from a 5 year coma...

How do these cards compare to the gigabyte 460 1GB ones? The Gigabyte run really cool and quiet. Are these quiet as well?

May or may not be the upper end overclocked one, but here is a review on this model.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_geforce_gtx_460_1gb_directcu/1

EDIT: Upon reading this link again, it's not a great review really. It does nothing to mention some clear advantages of this card. From what I'm reading lately, Fermi scales better with multi monitor setups and SLI is killing Crossfire. He points out that a single 5850 stock is slightly better than this overclocked Asus 460, and only gets better with overclocking, but in SLI I read the 460's win over 5850 Crossfire. Plus this heatsink on the Asus is better than a stock 5850's, and has special voltage Asus stuff for overclocking. With the price high on 5850's lately, and with this sale on the Asus card here, I don't see how his logic holds up in recommending the 5850 over the Asus. Perhaps the pricing is better here than in his country on the 460's. If you are comparing stock to stock from trusted brands, the 5850 is a lot more, like $70 more. And again, this Asus is a souped up card with cooling and features, a better competitor is here for $320, the Asus 5850 version of this:

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-E...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281144873&sr=8-1

One is more on sale, but clearly the 460 is priced better even if slightly weaker, and yet even still, 2 of these 460's will kill 2 5850's in crossfire from what I am reading. I might be wrong, but I am reading nothing but "460 in SLI wins" lately in reviews. To sum it up, I have read better reviews than this on Anandtech or other sites.

Last edited:
I couldn't stand it anymore, I bit. Now for the wait till it arrives...... I hate waiting.........

May or may not be the upper end overclocked one, but here is a review on this model.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_geforce_gtx_460_1gb_directcu/1

EDIT: Upon reading this link again, it's not a great review really. It does nothing to mention some clear advantages of this card. From what I'm reading lately, Fermi scales better with multi monitor setups and SLI is killing Crossfire. He points out that a single 5850 stock is slightly better, and only gets better with overclocking, but in SLI I read the 460's win over 5850 Crossfire. Plus this heatsink on the Asus is better than a stock 5850's, and has special voltage Asus stuff for overclocking. With the price high on 5850's lately, and with this sale on the Asus card here, I don't see how his logic holds up in recommending the 5850 over the Asus. Perhaps the pricing is better here than in his country on the 460's.

He seems hung up on the price. He quotes £195, which comes out to $311 American. Obviously when we're talking about the same card for $100 we're coming away with a no doubt steal ;)

He seems hung up on the price. He quotes £195, which comes out to $311 American. Obviously when we're talking about the same card for $100 we're coming away with a no doubt steal ;)

Yea, that would suck, lucky we get it for much less.

BTW, was this out of stock to begin with while showing 2-4 weeks wait? Or did someone actually get it in stock and have shipping confirmation already?

BTW, was this out of stock to begin with while showing 2-4 weeks wait? Or did someone actually get it in stock and have shipping confirmation already?

I answered this already. It's just being released in 2-4 weeks, to my knowledge, noone has sold these yet. It was a pre order for all of last week even.

I'm thinking of getting this. how much of an upgrade would it be if I have a 8800 GTS 512 with the rig in my sig. Thinking I might want a new vid card for Final Fantasy 14 and Cataclysm.

The newegg card you linked is at reference speeds (675 core / 3600 memory). The one on Amazon, linked by the OP, is overclocked to 775 / 4000 and also has other overclocking features if you want to take it higher.

Last edited:
The newegg card you linked is at reference speeds (675 core / 3600 memory), the one on Amazon, linked by the OP, is overclocked to 775 / 4000 and also has other overclocking features if you want to take it higher.

Yeah, they're different cards.

http://www.coolcomputing.com/article.php?sid=4095

That article lists the TOP version as a distinct card:

"The all-new ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5, ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5, ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 and ENGTX460/2DI/768MD5 deliver a full spectrum of features, better performance and true Windows 7 optimization."

Let me clear this up. There are three Asus GTX460 Cards on Amazon. This is the one you want, it's the flagship GTX460 offering from Asus at this time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WUXNPO/ref=oss_product?tag=atmlinr-20

This is the one you don't want, it's not overclocked as much and it's not marked down as much right now:

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-G...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281153015&sr=1-1

This is defiantly the one you don't want, it's shy on ram and does not have the cool heatsink:

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-G...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281153015&sr=1-2

Nuff said.

Would bite if if was shipping now. Another deal could come along during the 2-4 weeks

Would bite if if was shipping now. Another deal could come along during the 2-4 weeks

Yea they don't charge you until it ships though and you have the option to cancel, I couldn't pass it up finally gave in now the waiting begins. :D Only thing that sucks is i got reamed for 18$ in tax thanks washington

I wish I waited 2 weeks :\
I got the 470 instead and had to buy a new 750 watt antec psu and more fans to cool the 470 :/ for exhaust

Back