Asus GTX 760 Mini in the works

Followup - the GTX760 DirectCU II is seeing some holiday discountage; I'm actually seeing it at MicroCenter for basically the same price as the GTX660 (finally). With GTX660s in shrinking supply, the thought of a GTX760 in 660 price turf (and power turf - the DCU II takes a single 8-pin/6+2 power plug) is definitely attractive.

The 760 is spec'd for 170W, whereas the 660 is spec'd for 140W.

The 760 is spec'd for 170W, whereas the 660 is spec'd for 140W.

The issue is the number of plugs a particular GTX760 requires - the ASUS (despite being totally non-standard) requires only a single 6+2 GPU plug; EVGA's bottom-end GTX760 (Superclocked ACX) requires a 6-pin in addition to the 6+2-pin and also costs $25 more (MicroCenter). The typical GTX660 requires only the 6-pin GPU plug and uses no more space than a standard GTX550 Ti or other dual-slot GPU - that is why I have recommended the GTX660 as an upgrade for GTX550Ti owners.

The problem I am facing is expected, but early - the GTX660 is going away, with the GTX760 taking it's place in the price range. Price isn't the issue - power consumption is. (Specifically, the extra GPU plug requirement is the problem.) The ASUS GTX760 DirectCU II is, in fact, the only GTX760 that requires a single 6+2 GPU plug - from anybody. That it is also the lowest-priced, despite being overclocked and using non-standard cooling - is icing.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/427723/GTX760_OC_ITX_2GB_PCIE

MSI version of the Mini 760 available at Microcenter.;)

And while it's advertised as ITX, why wouldn't it fit in standard mothherboards? (Slot sizes and layouts on ITX motherboards are different in only two ways from their mATX and ATX counterparts - number and layout; the slots themselves are no different.) Therefore, an ITX-sized GPU could certainly fit ATX, let alone mATX motherboards - it will just take up less space. I would actually think that such GPUs would be a relief for those that WANT to build around SFF chassis.

More info - http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N760-2GD5-OC-ITX.html#overview

The biggest surprise is the full-sized HDMI port and just one DVI - dual DVI is still far more commonplace, and with a mini - not full - HDMI port - yuck!

My only unanswered question is the power requirement. Dual 6-pin? Single 6+2?

Back