Asus G1S Battery Life... How to increase

AmongTheChosenX

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought one of these used. I do love the look and feel of the laptop. I haven't used the gaming capabilities yet.

my only gripe is that even with the brightness down, I can only watch the office xvid rips i have for about 90-110 mins.

Im currently running 2GB's of DDR2 667 RAM, with an Intel Core 2 T7500 CPU.

That is a 65nm CPU running at 2.2 ghz with 4MB's of L2 Cache. so basically a mobile version of an E6600l.

would upgrading to this CPU increase my battery life?
Intel T8100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111003

I found it on sale at AAT for $90 shipped, so i am contemplating.

if this is normal for this laptop then i may just ditch it in a little while for something with more battery life.

every little change you do to the system to help increase the battery life will add up. IE going with the T8100, perhaps going with a SSD, lowering the backlighting on battery.... etc

But you spend quite a bit of money to get all that, why don't you just buy a larger cell battery

If you are running Vista, go into the power management and set your min/max processor state to 5%/50%. This helped alot on my Dell laptop. There's alot of other power saving features you can play with, such as the power saving mode on your wifi card, pci cards, and even the graphics card (called ATI PowerPlay for mine).

If you are running Vista, go into the power management and set your min/max processor state to 5%/50%. This helped alot on my Dell laptop. There's alot of other power saving features you can play with, such as the power saving mode on your wifi card, pci cards, and even the graphics card (called ATI PowerPlay for mine).

well I'm running XP, so i don't have too much flexbility on the embedded power options.

I did download the Asus Power4 Gear utility, which pulls the CPU to 25% of its total speed (or just under 500mhz, 482 to be exact) when I am on battery. I've also pulled the brightness to about 25%. maybe I can set my onboard LAN to be disabled under battery power since I'd normally be on WiFi.

I will have to think about the T8100. $90 for that CPU is a good deal IMO.

Also, I would think re applying thermal paste would help with heat, and thus should help battery life as well, correct?

I think the G1S uses the same battery as the G50V... I bought a 9 cell for my G50 and it's great in comparison to the stock 6 cell.

no, its actually an 8 cell battery according to specs.

if i can upgrade the battery i'd do so in a flash

could anyone possibly tell me what percentage of battery life increase i would see by going from a Merom Core 2 T7500 2.2ghz to a Penryn Core 2 T8100 2.1 ghz?

I just need a relative figure, then I'll think about upgrading.

i did find this: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3195&p=2
and this: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3195&p=2

both CPU's are listed on this page as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s#.22Merom.22_.28standard-voltage.2C_65_nm.29

lower backlight.

that should help a bit

AmongTheChosenX said:
my only gripe is that even with the brightness down, I can only watch the office xvid rips i have for about 90-110 mins.

Battery life is the only thing holding me back from getting the Asus G50vt A2

if you want increase the battery life while watching movies, disable the wireless card
the wifi, uses a bit of power when is in operation

you are not going to see much of an improvement if you upgrade the processor, save your money

your options are limited with that laptop, i used to have one
the video card is the main culprit, doesn't have options to power save
and also the battery size, I think is a 6 cell battery

what I did notice from using XP @ vista on the laptop, the power saving settings on vista help a bit.
the asus power tool in xp doesn't help much

if you want increase the battery life while watching movies, disable the wireless card
the wifi, uses a bit of power when is in operation

you are not going to see much of an improvement if you upgrade the processor, save your money

your options are limited with that laptop, i used to have one
the video card is the main culprit, doesn't have options to power save
and also the battery size, I think is a 6 cell battery

what I did notice from using XP @ vista on the laptop, the power saving settings on vista help a bit.
the asus power tool in xp doesn't help much

meh thats why i wanted a thinkpad originally since it had the radeon 3670 graphics, and intel hybrid graphics so you could shut off the performance graphics... :(

well looks like that'll be my nest notebook. i'll have to save up and then resell this puppy.

unfortunately, that's not an option since the video card is soldered right on the motherboard

Last edited:
unfortunately, that's not an option since the video card is soldered right on the motherboard

damnit. so i need a new motherboard, in which case i need a new laptop pretty much. unless i can snag a motherboard for an Asus G1Sn board which has the Geforce 9500m GS, which is built on a 65nm processo instead of the 8600m gt built on the 80nm process.

Used rmclock to lower the voltage on the cpu during different speeds

Used rmclock to lower the voltage on the cpu during different speeds

i dont think the CPU is pulling alot of power to begin with though. its basically a 2M conroe... :(

its all the GPU, it has to be. I wish there was a way to make it hybrid so it could use the integrated 965 graphics.

Battery life is the only thing holding me back from getting the Asus G50vt A2

Battery life isn't the greatest... but if you're buyin a g50 battery life isn't your top priority. I absolutely love mine.

Back