ASUS Eee PC 4G: Questions

-O-rigin

Weaksauce
Ok, I'll try to make this simple:

It's the perfect size laptop I'm looking for just to do very basic things with.

However, I need to do two things with it:

- install XP Pro
- upgrade the RAM

I've never worked on laptops before, so I've no idea how to even find out what RAM to get, how to install it or if I need anything like with my desktop rigs, such as mobo drivers when installing XP.

I'm a little tight on time, but highly mechanically inclined (build my own rigs, among other things) so if someone could drop me a line with simple instructions about:

- what RAM to get (would like 2GB)
- how to install it (the proper way to crack the case)
- whether or not I need to get any software for the mobo for changing the OS...

...that'd be a huge help.

Thanks.

There's guides for installing XP on eeeusers.com. You are either going to boot from a flash drive or have to get an external CDROM drive in order to install XP. RAM install is as simple as opening the case and swapping out the memory.

Note that you need to buy the 'non-Surf' 4G version to upgrade the RAM. I believe the Surf versions are soldered into the motherboard.

Also, there is a small sticker near one of the screw holes on the memory compartment. It says "Warranty void if removed". I'm sure Asus raised their status on this but you can easily (and carefully) remove it in order to unscrew the compartment.

As for what memory. Get a single 1GB or 2GB PC2-5300/5400 DDR2 200-pin module. The Eee only has one DIMM slot, so you're going to have to decide on 1GB or 2.

Installing via USB flash drive is relatively easy but I think it's more practical to purchase an external optical drive.

Definitely go with 2gb instead of 1 because its only like $2 more for it. Plus look at getting a sdhc card for a little more storage unless you have very little files with you on the go. I have a 16gb card and it works perfect for school and music

Thanks for all that info. Unfortunately, after checking out the entire method of installing XP onto these things, that's way too much of a hassle and potentially risky, from all I read.

I think I'll pass on fussing with all of that. I guess my search continues...

Please dont think its hard to do. I thought it might be a bit of trouble as well but all i did was plug in usb drive, hit f2 on bootup and changing to start install on the bios, insert xp disc, delete the partitions shown by hitting d, then xp did the rest. After that loaded the xp drivers and its been perfect ever since. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about installing.

Also, there is a small sticker near one of the screw holes on the memory compartment. It says "Warranty void if removed". I'm sure Asus raised their status on this but you can easily (and carefully) remove it in order to unscrew the compartment.

Correct. Assus has publicly stated that opening it to upgrade the ram will not void your waranty.

Correct. Assus has publicly stated that opening it to upgrade the ram will not void your waranty.

Sweet. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still gonna be a little careful removing the sticker though. I want my Eee PC to look 'brand new' or feel brand new. Ya know?

Back