ASUS EAH5550 1GB DDR3 Question

isai95

Limp Gawd
Is this card good enough to play The Sims 3 game with the computer described below?

We are having the following problem.
The game shuts it self and returns to desktop or sometimes the computer freezes.

All other games work just fine: The Sims 1 and The Sims 2, except for the Sims 3.

WIN7
HP 3GB RAM
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.0Ghz
500GB hard drive
PS 300watts
22" monitor 1440 x 1080 or so. I have tried other resolutions but still get the same problem.

Please help. This is my cousin's computer. She loves The Sims 3.

Last edited:
A 5550 is more than enough. I wonder if you might have a bad hard drive and when the game hits that certain area, it turns off/locks up the pc.

A 5550 is more than enough. I wonder if you might have a bad hard drive and when the game hits that certain area, it turns off/locks up the pc.

Thank you for your answer. I'll try to change the hard drive, Power Supply and update the Bios. I'm puzzled because the problem is only with Sims3.

If its a SATA or IDE drive, just run HD Tune from hdtune.com. Look at the S.M.A.R.T data and see if there are any reallocated sectors, bad sectors etc.

If its a SATA or IDE drive, just run HD Tune from hdtune.com. Look at the S.M.A.R.T data and see if there are any reallocated sectors, bad sectors etc.

It's a SATA hard drive. My cousing lives like 130 miles away from me. Next time I visit her I'll have the chance to troubleshoot her computer.:p

also make sure you look at the game patches. sometimes patches cause more issues than they solve. if the game was never patched, you may want to try updating it. honestly your problem doesnt sound like a video card issue. video drivers maybe. the other thing you may want to check is the power supply. i know the 5550 is a budget card, but if the psu is a no-name piece of crap it might not be even close to the stated load.

also make sure you look at the game patches. sometimes patches cause more issues than they solve. if the game was never patched, you may want to try updating it. honestly your problem doesnt sound like a video card issue. video drivers maybe. the other thing you may want to check is the power supply. i know the 5550 is a budget card, but if the psu is a no-name piece of crap it might not be even close to the stated load.

Thank you! I'll do that.

Back