Asus DirectCU6850 noise..

Beadle

n00b
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
4
Hi all, I have an Asus DirectCU Radeon 6850 and it's making quite a bit of noise at idle. It's not a "smooth" fan noise, either.. there's a slight (very slight) buzz to it. Is there any way to determine if this is normal? Just trying to investigate before I contact asus.

I have verified that the fans are running at their normal speed (22-23% at idle, not sure what that translates to in terms of RPM).

thanks
beadle
 
I RMA'd two 5850 DirectCu's for that very reason. When you tap the centre of the fan when it's spinning, the noise goes away briefly, so I'm sure it's a bearing issue. Even my third card does it, but less than the first two - very annoying! If you can be bothered with the hassle, I would RMA...
 
Ah thanks for the info.. wish I'd known before I picked it up.

I can definitely be bothered, noise bothers the crap out of me :)

Thanks a ton for the post.
 
No sweat, hopefully your replacement works properly, when it does it's a very quiet and cool running cooler...
 
Back
Top