Asus D2 / D2X

Yes it's a Oxygen HD sound card.

A good one at that, BUT it only has EAX 2. So for gamers this isn't a card for us. Gamers only can rely on either XFI or Auzentech Prelude.

As for music i am not sure whether it deserved the hype or not ....
 
uhhh WTF is with that legal mp3 ripping crap.

sounds a lot like they will watermark or add drm to your mp3s for you.
 
Agreed. $199 and supports less than the X-Fi. Bust for gamers. $50ish XtremeGamer variant of X-Fi destroys this Asus card.

EAX2.0 though really is plenty. In a soundcard, I just look for any hardware acceleration for games. Don't know if it's the case anymore, but back in the day on a Northwood 2.4ghz playing UT2k3, the onboard Realtek of the day would drain a beefy 20-30 fps difference over audio vs. no-audio on my system. I would have to drop resolutions and quality levels in order to play.

Live cards, Audigy cards, had negligible fps drop with audio enabled, but crackled and popped when playing audio, especially when the harddrive was thrashing. Some major interrupt and driver conflicts.

In order to avoid Creative drivers and hardware I found a fortissimo III, which had 3d hardware acceleration and did great. The same minimal hit to FPS as creative. Supported only EAX 1 and 2 I think vs. Creative with 3 and 4 versions out. But it was plenty, the audio quality was great.
 
Woohoo thread resurrection...

I recently found this card on the asus website and I have to say I am impressed. I did some searching and found this review comparing it to the X-Fi.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/preludeandxonarsoundcards/index.php

Any thoughts in light of this review and/or experience with the card since the last post? Note all the Dolby features as well as the fact that it runs $40 less than the prelude. (I am unsure if the drivers for the prelude are out yet that support DTS and Dolby Digital Live.)

I should mention that I REFUSE to buy another Creative card after the trouble that my last one (X-Fi platinum) gave me.
 
Woohoo thread resurrection...

I recently found this card on the asus website and I have to say I am impressed. I did some searching and found this review comparing it to the X-Fi.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/preludeandxonarsoundcards/index.php

Any thoughts in light of this review and/or experience with the card since the last post? Note all the Dolby features as well as the fact that it runs $40 less than the prelude. (I am unsure if the drivers for the prelude are out yet that support DTS and Dolby Digital Live.)

I should mention that I REFUSE to buy another Creative card after the trouble that my last one (X-Fi platinum) gave me.

It's just another Oxygen HD sound card. Not that I think they're bad, but nothing really new here.
 
Back
Top