Asus Chat Transcript: Z87 ASUS MB doesn't support LINUX!

techbob

Limp Gawd
Chat transcript from today. My friend is building a new Haswell system to support Windows and Debian. Windows under virtual machine.

I find this hard to believe! (btw I changed the names)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Thu, 7/25/2013 11:29:31 am

I'm looking at your Z87-WS motherboard. The motherboard "compare" web
page lists Windows 7 and Windows 8 as OSes. I'm planning to use Debian
7.1. Is there any problem using this Linux OS with Z87-WS motherboard?

Here's the referenced page:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87WS/#specifications

Alternatively, is there a motherboard you'd suggest suited best for
Debian 7.1?

Fred Thu, 7/25/2013 11:31:14 am

I'm sorry, but we don't support Linux or Debian 7.1 here.

Bob Thu, 7/25/2013 11:31:37 am

By "we" you mean ASUS?

Fred Thu, 7/25/2013 11:31:41 am

Yes.

Bob Thu, 7/25/2013 11:32:10 am

Ok, Thank you

Fred Thu, 7/25/2013 11:32:41 am

My pleasure. Is there anything else I can help you with? To let me know
how I am doing, please make sure to provide feedback by clicking the
"thumbs up" or "thumbs down" at the top of this chat window. Your
feedback is important.

Bob Thu, 7/25/2013 11:33:39 am
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Support" merely means "you are on your own if you encounter trouble."

It rarely means that it won't work at all.

Unfortunately the two potential meanings are often conflated.

Huh, I didn't know they kept a compilation of tested boards, that's interesting.

But yeah, I don't think really any computer hardware company supports Linux... well, other than server hardware. Linux supports hardware though, thank you open source coders.

I'm actually amazed at how well Linux compatibility has grown. I haven't had any issues with my hardware, and my wireless printer is picked up without fuss (HP).

Huh, I didn't know they kept a compilation of tested boards, that's interesting.

But yeah, I don't think really any computer hardware company supports Linux... well, other than server hardware. Linux supports hardware though, thank you open source coders.

I'm actually amazed at how well Linux compatibility has grown. I haven't had any issues with my hardware, and my wireless printer is picked up without fuss (HP).

I haven't had problems either, but my hardware is pretty basic. BTW I like this response from ASUS in the chat:

"I'm sorry, but we don't support Linux or Debian 7.1 here."

What he said is correct. If you ask for support "there" with Linux, you're out of luck.

I haven't had problems either, but my hardware is pretty basic. BTW I like this response from ASUS in the chat:

"I'm sorry, but we don't support Linux or Debian 7.1 here."

What he said is correct. If you ask for support "there" with Linux, you're out of luck.

His cubicle doesn't know what Linux is, thus no support :D

Compatibility with uefi can cause problems with linux but so far I've only heard of one computer model that wasn't compatible, a Toshiba laptop I think.

Compatibility with uefi can cause problems with linux but so far I've only heard of one computer model that wasn't compatible, a Toshiba laptop I think.

Yeah, it's just a pain in the butt to get set up correctly. At least the first time you do it....

Yeah, it's just a pain in the butt to get set up correctly. At least the first time you do it....

There's reasons I just dropped my old desktop motherboard, cpu and memory into my "fileserver"* when it needed a horsepower upgrade. It still had a BIOS, wasn't worth the major pain to get grub2 installed and everything converted.

having said that it was rather easier looking to do one from scratch as I recall.

*quotes as it's kind of a multipurpose server but mostly holds files

Back