ASUS ASUS RT-AC66U Vs. NETGEAR R6300

Moshe1010

n00b
Hi,

I'm trying to establish a strong signal around my house for more than a year now, but I have not luck doing so. I have 3000 sqft house that has 2 floors. My main router (Verizon Fios) is on the second floor, and the computer that has problems, with connection drops and getting 30-40% of max ISP speed, is on the first floor on the other side of the house.
Right now I have Netgear WNDR3700 V1 connected as a bridge to the Verizon Fios router (wireless is disabled there). In addition, the Netgear is connected to an Amped Wireless SR10000 (Access Point) on the first floor.
The computer on the first floor is connected with Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW (tried all kinds of antennas: 5,7, and 9dBi). I also tried Linksys WMP600N that was much worst than the Alfa.

So after all that, I'm trying to find a way to get 90-100% of ISP speed on the problematic computer on the first floor. I start to think that it's impossible and there is something in the house itself that prevents that from happening. Do you think one of the routers above would help to fix this problem?
What's interesting is that my MacBook Pro (15" Retina) gets 100% of ISP speed from the same room, but it's not constant (ranges 80-100%, but still much better than the PC next to it.)

Any thoughts what to do in order to fix it? I can't get a wire there and LAN over power doesn't work very well since it's on different power network than the main router.

Thank you.

Last edited:
For thiese two router, I would recommend ASUS RT-AC66U, it has a better specs than the R6300, you can see the comparison, the AC66U has a bigger ram memory than R6300.

But I think for your situation, if you need everywhere has a strong sign in your house, you may need two routers.

Back