ASUS ARES True Dual 5870 Spy Pics

I dont see a problem if you have a half decent case. most mid range cases come with 5+ 120mm fans which is more then enough. This card is as much as a high end gaming rig itself it would mean that most rigs this card goes into will be very high end which excellent cooling.

Agreed, my chassis alone has 9 x 120mm and 6 x 140mm fans (excluding other fans) so this card blowing a portion of the heat into the chassis is a none issue for me.

To bad the card will likely cost a fortune compared to just buying two 5870s.

Agreed, my chassis alone has 9 x 120mm and 6 x 140mm fans (excluding other fans) so this card blowing a portion of the heat into the chassis is a none issue for me.

To bad the card will likely cost a fortune compared to just buying two 5870s.

expecthing this to be in the 1000-1200 US range

which is about 3 5870's...

max draw of 450 watts is pretty impressive, oc'd cores hitting 1000-1100+ on water would be nuts

It's would probably still run fine on a 750W.

The card could pull 450W based on it's connectors. Assuming you don't want to pull more than 80% capactiy of your PSU that leaves you 150Watts for the rest of your system. An i7's TDP is 135W so you could probably run one on a 750W if you didn't OC your CPU or the GPU. But who would buy one of these and run everything stock?

Some are already saying that they need to ditch their 750W. Running fine is different from running @ OC levels. A 5970 runs fine on a 650W but it would be better to run it on a 750W. As for the pricing, I wouldn't spend this much on one card since a refresh or new generation is appoarching very quickly. Two OC 5870s would be fine.

I'd suspect that at the price they're going to charge for this thing, you're going to get better performance from two GTX 480s in SLI for the same or less $$$

This is crazy fast. I am glad I have waited before buying my DX11 card, this one has moved up to the top of my list now.

Can you run Metro 2033 2560x1600 maxed settings on this thing? That's what I want to know. That game brings my current rig to it's knees. It's sad.

Well, ASUS Mars was Nvidia, which always seems to "cost more" to manufacture. ATi's tech, however, seems "cheaper" to manufacture, hence their price point (initially, anyway). So, maybe it wont be the $1,200+ that the ASUS Mars was since it's ATi.

That being said, even though it is a friggin' gorgeous card with absolutely insane performance, it's still a "sandwich card", hence could have the same problems as running CF, SLi etc., so it begs the question: with all the games that seem to have issues with dual-GPU set-ups, what will happen to it's performance in said games?

Not to mention that the drivers in both camps for dual-GPU set-ups have not had the greatest track record in terms of support.

Also, as others have mentioned, would it indeed end up being cheaper to just buy to 5870's etc. and run in CF? Of course, for those who don't or no longer OC (such as myself) then going with two GPUs and OC'ing is not an option.

Still, though this thing even looks f'ing spectacular and it's performance seems astronomical, I cant imagine myself every paying $1k+ for any GPU, especially given that, even though ATi yields a much lower power requirement for their GPUs, you'd still need at least a 750W PSU for that beast (I'm running 620). I'd yet again upgrade my CPU first to an i7 Extreme before doing that...

...though it's mighty friggin' tempting, new PSU and dual-GPU issues or not, heh.

I'm just hoping ATi's "refresh" really has something to offer over even the current gen of 5870's.

You know, if Asus decides to drop the hammer and release this at a pricepoint of exactly $1000, this card will go out of the shelves so fast that we'd think of Boxing Day as a mere joke. The form factor after all is something that we will think hard comparing to the cost savings of going crossfire.

Well, ASUS Mars was Nvidia, which always seems to "cost more" to manufacture. ATi's tech, however, seems "cheaper" to manufacture, hence their price point (initially, anyway). So, maybe it wont be the $1,200+ that the ASUS Mars was since it's ATi.
5970s are on the market for 700$+ atm. 295s were on the market for 500$. So by MSRP comparison the Ares should be almost 1700$. do I think it is going to be that much? No. Is it going to be 1000$? Probably.

That being said, even though it is a friggin' gorgeous card with absolutely insane performance, it's still a "sandwich card", hence could have the same problems as running CF, SLi etc., so it begs the question: with all the games that seem to have issues with dual-GPU set-ups, what will happen to it's performance in said games?

Not to mention that the drivers in both camps for dual-GPU set-ups have not had the greatest track record in terms of support.

Also, as others have mentioned, would it indeed end up being cheaper to just buy to 5870's etc. and run in CF? Of course, for those who don't or no longer OC (such as myself) then going with two GPUs and OC'ing is not an option.

Still, though this thing even looks f'ing spectacular and it's performance seems astronomical, I cant imagine myself every paying $1k+ for any GPU, especially given that, even though ATi yields a much lower power requirement for their GPUs, you'd still need at least a 750W PSU for that beast (I'm running 620). I'd yet again upgrade my CPU first to an i7 Extreme before doing that...

...though it's mighty friggin' tempting, new PSU and dual-GPU issues or not, heh.

I'm just hoping ATi's "refresh" really has something to offer over even the current gen of 5870's.

A couple points to note:

It seems to be a single PCB, not a "sandwich card". It is so thick due to the massive amount of copper.

It is going to be more expensive than a pair of 5870's mostly because it has twice the vram PER GPU.

This will likely be the direct competitor to a pair of 480's as ASUS is likely OC'ing these guys over reference 5870 levels.

That thing frags noobs without even being on.

This of course means we now wait for the [H] review :)

A couple points to note:

It seems to be a single PCB, not a "sandwich card". It is so thick due to the massive amount of copper.

It is going to be more expensive than a pair of 5870's mostly because it has twice the vram PER GPU.

This will likely be the direct competitor to a pair of 480's as ASUS is likely OC'ing these guys over reference 5870 levels.

The closest ATI solution would be two Eyefinity 5870s in Crossfire. Seeing as how those are $499 each, I'd say the Ares would be at least $1k. Add on the limited edition "tax", and $1100 - 1200 is a good guess.

The closest ATI solution would be two Eyefinity 5870s in Crossfire. Seeing as how those are $499 each, I'd say the Ares would be at least $1k. Add on the limited edition "tax", and $1100 - 1200 is a good guess.

Err.. Meant to say two Eyefinity 6 5870s.

Whew, If this didn't have such a premium price, I'd be very interested. I'm really happy with my Visiontek 4870x2 and if I upgraded I'd want a similar card - I got my current one on a deal for about $380 at its first launch (due to a BestBuy online pricing screwup, if I recall), but the $1000+ price for this thing...whew. Truly, this is what the 5970s SHOULD have been, and more like my old 4870x2. The fact that its using 2gb chips is even better.

If ATI wants to maintain their dominance, I'd like to see them come in notably cheaper now that Fermi has shown itself to be overall underwhelming. If this comes in $600-800 I'll definitely consider it, but if not I'll probably just grab 2gb 5870s.

I dont see a problem if you have a half decent case. most mid range cases come with 5+ 120mm fans which is more then enough. This card is as much as a high end gaming rig itself it would mean that most rigs this card goes into will be very high end which excellent cooling.

yes but would you rather the extra heat in the case or out of it? im not denying that good cases will take care of it but id rather not have to deal with 300+watts at a minimum of heat being dumped into the case extra compared to majority of it dumped OUT of the case, no matter how good your cooling setup, that is going to increase ambient case temps by a noticeable amount and mean you have to have a louder cooling setup to keep the case at the same temps as before, at least with the reference cooler design you have minimal heat dumped into the case

grrrrrrrrrr

water cooling on this would certainly be a fun thing to see how it overclocks though i will admit, pair of these on water in a single box... :)

Damn, well worth every penny if it falls between $800 and $1,000... Anything above that may be a premium that is well deserved regardless (due to it being a limited production card).

I doubt I will have my duck in a row when the time comes but if I do I would love to sell off my card and upgrade to one of these bad boys.

I thought this card was going to use 2x8 and 1x6 PCI pin connectors but from what I'm seeing it uses dual 8 pin connectors which is nice. The card itself looks nice, but Sapphire's 5970 OC clocks are at 900Mhz. Also, I want to see XFX's 5970 OC as well.

I knew there was a good reason for my 1KW PSU. :p

I am still amazed there are people that don't have one. Even all of my 850W PSUs can handle up to 1K. I don't buy any PSUs anymore that can't handle at least up to 1K of Wattage and have a liberal amount of 12V Amp rail capabilities.

seems to me like if a lot of manufactures start making these suped up 5970s prices should me much lower than the MARS

any chance I'm going to go spend $700 on a 5970 now only to find these for $800 a few month from now?

Back