Asus anti-surge warning

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I just had a reboot and got the Asus antisurge has protected your computer ETC warning.

I had a 600 watt Themal take in this machine and when just transferring files I got total shutdown no warning little led in Psu went out. I rebooted and it happened again. Being as this was an older Psu I swapped it out for an Antec 430 earthworks that had never given me a problem in another machine.

All seemed well then I got another reboot only now I get Asus Anti surge warning pre os saying press del to enter Bios. What are the odds of 2 psus both being bad?

system specs are: Asus A88XM-E, A10-7870K, 16 GB Gskill ddr3, Msi R7-250, 4 ssds 2 intel 2 Sansung, Liteon Blue ray Drive also have latest bios.

The only difference was all this appeared to start after I added 2 ssds and the Blueray drive. According to a Psu calculator 430 watts is way over the required power.

Also event veiwer show Kernal power error 41.

This is new build.. I don't like instabilty i even ran Intel burn in test without problem WTF is going on here?

I have also heard that Asus boards are over sensitive to minor power variations..Should I turn off anti surge protection? PS I am on a UPS.

What do you have plugged in via USB ports and motherboard headers?

I've only ever had this issue when something tried to pull more juice than allowed via USB such as a failing AIO pump.

Is the PC plugged into a UPS as well? Could be something else that is failing in-line. I've had an Asus motherboard do that me twice, and then never happened again after I swapped PSUs, just figured that was it. That initial PSU is also powering another machine just fine..

We also have crappy power at my house too, so it could have been that.

a bluetooth dongle and a wifi dongle, hmm come to think i had trouble booting with both dongles pluged in a few times I had to unplug the bluetooth dongle. I wouldn't think the bluetooth would draw that much current.....

also I just bought a new psu, maybe if the usb is the problem I can return it.

Mother(&&%) Asus anti surge BS again, no F#$@@#) ing way do I have 3 bad PSUs in a row One of which I bought yesterday. System seems stable ran it all last night for 5 6 hour no crashes bsods pl ayed a little gaming ran prime 95. WTF is this. My system is plugging into an APC ups, The PSU is a brand new Antec 450vp. I am going to turn off the anti surge it is obviously too sensitive....now I just have to find where Asus hid the settings....

I am going to push the crap out of this machine I think nothings wrong here. Screw the anti surge BS.

Isn't the anti surge meant for the fans? I thought, but could be entirely wrong on this, that it prevents sudden changes in fan speed. Going by memory I thought that the anti surge was in the fan speed selection section of the Bios. I don't have my Asus connected ATM so cannot check it as it is awaiting a rebuild.

Mother(&&%) Asus anti surge BS again, no F#$@@#) ing way do I have 3 bad PSUs in a row One of which I bought yesterday. System seems stable ran it all last night for 5 6 hour no crashes bsods pl ayed a little gaming ran prime 95. WTF is this. My system is plugging into an APC ups, The PSU is a brand new Antec 450vp. I am going to turn off the anti surge it is obviously too sensitive....now I just have to find where Asus hid the settings....

Check out the specs: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/antec-vp450-power-supply-review/6/
only 15A@5V / 2,5A@5VSB
Since the problem appears when you plug in usb devices, and since usb devices are being fed from the 5V rail (*from what i know, not 100% sure though), then it is likely that your PSU can not handle the USB's demands.

I have seen this warning on a couple of my ASUS MB machines.

Both were running minimal setup and no exotic peripherals.

I simply disabled that in the BIOS, the computers are still running without issue.:D

I bought the Antec 450vp a week ago after reading the review I am certain that Asus anti surge is a joke....

I have rebuilt my Z77 system and took a look in the Bios and the anti surge setting comes just below the Fan control settings which must of been what made me think that they were somehow related.

The anti surge setting does show uvp (under volt protection) and ovp(over volt protection) in the information when the anti surge is selected.

The thing is I have had some problems with BSOD and failing to successfully resume from Standby on my Z77 board while using a Corsair HX520 with. However I also remember have the same problem with a Gigabyte board before it while using the same PSU so I do not think that the anti surge setting is what is causing the problems. It is a dodgy (faulty) Corsair PSU which has a power good fault it seems. It does not occur all the time but when it does it means that I lose the work that I was doing at the time.

I swapped the PSU for a Tagan 480 on my older X48 core 2 system and have not had any problems with it since doing so. Therefore I don't the anti surge causes my systems any problems.

Back