ASUS Announces The X99-M WS

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today ASUS announced the X99-M WS, bringing workstation features to a compact microATX motherboard that's perfect for powerful small-form-factor builds.+ The X99-M WS combines the reliable performance and extensive validation required by professionals with the overclocking prowess and fine-grained control expected by power users.

Based on the Intel X99 chipset, the X99-M WS is the first ASUS microATX motherboard that can run two dual-slot graphics cards at full PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 x16 speeds.+ Two-way NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX configurations can tap into a staggering 32GB/s of bandwidth direct from the CPU, enabling peak performance for demanding graphics workloads. ASUS’ X99-M WS is priced at $279.99 and available at ASUS authorized resellers now.

I recall when Abit went legacy free. That was music to my ears. Seems now everyone still uses all the legacy crap: serial port, parallel port header, P/S 2 ports. How long did it take to finally get rid of the single floppy drive connector?

And an x99 board with PCIe 2.0 for its M.2 slot...*sigh*.

Really a shame considering it is a great looking board.

Dear Lord... why does stuff still have PS/2 ports?:rolleyes:

NKRO and potential device performance issue over USB Hubs are two immediate answers to that question. Other answers relate to things like polling time on USB (which is referential to the performance issues) vs PS2 interrupt time, as well as higher degrees of compatibility for things like KVMs.

USB is awesome, and it's "easy", but it most assuredly isn't objectively better than PS2 for keyboard input. :D

PCIe 2.0 x2 M.2 is disappointing.

ASUS went towards spending the lanes on true dual x16 PCIe slots for SLI but honestly I think that's a missed opportunity. ASUS could have easily gone with a x8x8 setup and a decent 4x M.2 configuration and I think the motherboard would have sold fine being a mATX X99 motherboard.

Having said that, if you SLI two high end cards on that thing you will cook the shit out of your M.2 drive possibly hurting it's longevity and performance. ASUS knows that.

Build and componenets definitelly above others. I will build 24/7 daily/work rig with it.

Ram oc is not easy because of manuall tuning.

No ram oc profiles in bios like those ROG boards.

Lot of settings for cpu oc...

CPU OV

Last edited:

That is a very nice OC on a 5960X for that low of a Vcore..Is it 24/7 stable (Prime95 etc) at that setting?

This seems like a nice board..I have been considering a MATX build, but I can't bring myself to scale down to a smaller watercooling setup...I love the silence, and also love to OC the living shit outta my gear, so having as much rad space is :D:D:D to me...I suppose it would offer a hell of a challenge for a scratch build, but I would have to offload my higher end large rads and go with some super thick smaller rads...hmm...

Back