ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Yep...

Item Status Item# Product Name Qty Unit Price Total
Ready for pick up with open box items
8237286 Aus PG278Q G-Sync 27" LED Monitor,2560x1440Resolution,144hz Refresh, 1msRT,1,000:1CR,Display Port,USB 1 $799.99 $799.99

I guess I'll find out the details when I get there. Honestly I don't give much of a crap either way as long as the thing works. These are computer parts we're talking about, not socks. I might be able to bargain the price down, too.

Yep...

I guess I'll find out the details when I get there. Honestly I don't give much of a crap either way as long as the thing works. These are computer parts we're talking about, not socks. I might be able to bargain the price down, too.

I bet you anything its the one from that guy in the amazon reviews, said it had a dead pixel on bottom left, he posted a pic and everything. Returned it too

I bet you anything its the one from that guy in the amazon reviews, said it had a dead pixel on bottom left, he posted a pic and everything. Returned it too

It's possible, but...

For one that guy doesn't even list where he got it.

Two, the GA Fry's stores weren't even supposed to have this till tomorrow. I'm surprised my order even went through. If anything, they might have been considering having it as a display model.

Three, the guy in that Amazon review never actually said whether he returned his or not. Shrug.

Oh and four: I'd have to see, either way.

It's possible, but...

For one that guy doesn't even list where he got it.

Two, the GA Fry's stores weren't even supposed to have this till tomorrow. I'm surprised my order even went through. If anything, they might have been considering having it as a display model.

Three, the guy in that Amazon review never actually said whether he returned his or not. Shrug.

Oh and four: I'd have to see, either way.

Oh haha I thought urs was from amazon. And as pissed as that guy was he had to of returned it hahah

<--in GA, went by one of the Frys on Monday and he told me they would not show up till next Tuesday. Both showed in stock at each store, tried to order at first got to end, no stock. Tried the other store, got to end, no stock. Now both show none available. Don't know if I was just to slow or what. No biggy, will be to busy this weekend to enjoy it anyway.

<--in GA, went by one of the Frys on Monday and he told me they would not show up till next Tuesday. Both showed in stock at each store, tried to order at first got to end, no stock. Tried the other store, got to end, no stock. Now both show none available. Don't know if I was just to slow or what. No biggy, will be to busy this weekend to enjoy it anyway.

I guess I'm lucky enough to get an open box based on what you said.

Yep...

I got them to knock off $50 off mine if I bought their extended warranty. It was the display unit that was out for 2 days so I wasn't too worried about it being f-ed up. I'm still debating if I want to try to return/refund the Frys warranty since mfg is 3 years.

GOT IT, I haven't been able to hook it up yet but it is waiting in the back of my truck now. Funny thing is I told my UPS man to put it in my truck instead of bringing it upstairs, when I went down to look at it there were two back there. I checked my order and I didn't accidentally order two, just then he came pulling back in and he said the other one was for someone else down the street. But I live in the middle of nowhere in some little redneck white trash town so it was kinda weird. I was going to give the second one to one of you guys;)

Amazon - shipped today - will be in my hands tomorrow.

hCAE8F35D

So, for people who have the monitor- how is g-sync?

I was reading on a different forum that it was causing stuttering in a lot of games.

Does it work at ~45 fps and stop the screen tearing?

Yep...

I would like to know how it goes. Keep us updated and good luck :)

So, for people who have the monitor- how is g-sync?

I was reading on a different forum that it was causing stuttering in a lot of games.

Does it work at ~45 fps and stop the screen tearing?

I've had G-SYNC since launch in March and never had a single problem. Every problem I've read has been from people with SLI systems.

That said, it's not a cure-all. For instance, Watch Dogs won't be magically fixed with G-SYNC. G-SYNC can only compensate for when your graphics card can't maintain a steady framerate, not when the game lags due to poor coding.

So I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be in 144hz mode all the time? Even if the framerate drops in-game, it would still be better than 60hz right?

So I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be in 144hz mode all the time? Even if the framerate drops in-game, it would still be better than 60hz right?

I've heard some horror stories of trying to use Nvidia Surround on monitors that don't have the same refresh rates. So if you have two side monitors that aren't also 144hz, Surround could cause troubles.

60Hz is just there mainly for a convenience factor I would think. Can't hurt. Most people would be running 144hz or 120hz for the majority of the time.

I've had G-SYNC since launch in March and never had a single problem. Every problem I've read has been from people with SLI systems.

That said, it's not a cure-all. For instance, Watch Dogs won't be magically fixed with G-SYNC. G-SYNC can only compensate for when your graphics card can't maintain a steady framerate, not when the game lags due to poor coding.

Gsync works fantastic with smooth gaming like on a CRT back in the day. It works at 35fps on up just great, I love it. I concur that Watch_Dogs is still a dog and stutters so gsync won't magically cure it. The only negative a found is if the frame-rate gets below appx 32fps then it stutters bad, so I need to re-think my video settings to make sure I keep high FPS. Also, the monitor works great without gsync if you want to use adaptive vsync instead. The 144Hz + low latency means not really any tearing for me. Although I like gsync smoothness, going without it is still an option.

This has got to be the funniest launch ever. We've got it! Oh, no we dont. I mean yes we have it for pre-order. Nope, we dont have it anymore. We'll have it in 2 weeks. We'll have it in 2 days. We'll have it in a month. No wait, we've got it now.

Funny thing is that it seems to be several different retailers that are doing that. LOL! This will definitely make for a good story in a few years when one of those "remember when" threads pops up. :D

Alright, I obtained my monitor. It turns out it actually wasn't an open box. It was brand new. I guess they just got them in. All of the accessories were still wrapped up and everything.

So let's see... impressions...

1. The coating is grainier than I thought it would be. It would have done them well to go with the Qnix coating, but this thing is closer to a certain VP2770 that I had.
2. No dead or stuck pixels as far as I could tell. I did a very thorough scan for dead pixels, did not find any. I could find one later, but eh. It's harder with grainier coatings. For stuck pixels, I did a scan on read and blue, but it's hard to stare at a pure blue or pure red screen for too long so I just stopped after a cursory scan.
3. The backlight is uneven, but nothing I would remotely notice in a remotely lit scenario. Especially considering the stock brightness was stupid anyway.

I've yet to try games with it, but overall pretty happy thus far. At least my almost karmic bad luck with monitors has not plagued me for this one.

I will note one thing though: I do have a weird little smidgen in the lower right. I'm not sure what that is. It's pretty hard to see, but I think the manufacturing process in that area is a little flawed. It's probably where the control panel is connected at or something.

Anyway, where are the profiles for this thing, before I begin gaming?

Ok, after some finagling, I got mine to work.

I had a bit of a shocker when I first plugged it in and got no video in Windows (bios and Safe mode were fine). Then, I dragged my computer into the living room, and hooked it up to the TV. After installing the latest video drivers, I was able to get video, and a couple of restarts later, I was able to get the monitor to go to 85 hz with the long cable that I bought to go with the monitor. I eventually figured out that not all displayport cables are created equal, and the one I bought wouldn't go to higher refresh rates at 2560x1440, and I had to switch to the stock cable to get 144 hz.

Now naturally, with the stupid "turbo" button that they have on the monitor, I then went to testufo.com to see what it did... and laughed. All the "turbo" button does is tell the monitor to drop tons of frames, and the "60 hz" mode doesn't display anything close to 60 frames per second... maybe more like 15-20. I'm not great at counting frames, but it was significantly worse than what the 30fps result looks like on other monitors. A really bad gimmick is all it is.

The colors cannot even remotely compare with my TV (Samsung C8000) but the important thing is how this thing performs in gaming. The TV is still on the coffee table in the living room so I'll need to move it back before I can give any feedback on how that works.

could i please get a link to the testing pages/videos/programs you guys are using to test for stuck/dead pixels?

thank you, is there a general procedure to follow for identifying dead and stuck pixels?

Looking closely.

Dead pixels show up best on white backgrounds.
Stuck pixels can show up on black backgrounds.
Dead subpixels will show up on one of the pure color backgrounds.

I will note one thing though: I do have a weird little smidgen in the lower right. I'm not sure what that is. It's pretty hard to see, but I think the manufacturing process in that area is a little flawed. It's probably where the control panel is connected at or something.

Anyway, where are the profiles for this thing, before I begin gaming?

Hmm, several people have pointed out a similar 'smudge' in the bottom right corner.

Only profile I've seen posted is the usual TFTCentral: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database They set brightness to 20, contrast to 50, RGB at 100 each.

Ok, after some finagling, I got mine to work.

I had a bit of a shocker when I first plugged it in and got no video in Windows (bios and Safe mode were fine). Then, I dragged my computer into the living room, and hooked it up to the TV. After installing the latest video drivers, I was able to get video, and a couple of restarts later, I was able to get the monitor to go to 85 hz with the long cable that I bought to go with the monitor. I eventually figured out that not all displayport cables are created equal, and the one I bought wouldn't go to higher refresh rates at 2560x1440, and I had to switch to the stock cable to get 144 hz.

Now naturally, with the stupid "turbo" button that they have on the monitor, I then went to testufo.com to see what it did... and laughed. All the "turbo" button does is tell the monitor to drop tons of frames, and the "60 hz" mode doesn't display anything close to 60 frames per second... maybe more like 15-20. I'm not great at counting frames, but it was significantly worse than what the 30fps result looks like on other monitors. A really bad gimmick is all it is.

The colors cannot even remotely compare with my TV (Samsung C8000) but the important thing is how this thing performs in gaming. The TV is still on the coffee table in the living room so I'll need to move it back before I can give any feedback on how that works.

Lol I'm sorry dude but after reading you had a hard time hooking up a monitor, used cheap ass long cables, and didn't have the latest video driver, what kind of enthusiast are you? I doubt the monitor just skips a bunch of frames. Asus couldn't sell it to anyone if that was the case.

FYI testufo doesn't work properly with Chrome as of August, and it will only go up to 100hz in Internet Explorer.

@ Get a game going at >120hz and put her into "Turbo." You've probably done it already. I bet it looks pretty good, huh?

Anyone else have problems with their Turbo key not working? its only displaying current refresh for me. And I can't load BF4 either. The loading screen just gets stuck with GSYNC on.

Fixed my BF4 problem. I disabled Origin in-game overlay. I guess it was conflicting with RivaTuner Statistics Server. Now to find a fix for my Turbo Key not working...

Last edited:
G-Sync is bugged to fuck.

First time stuttering was so bad it was unplayable.

Second time it worked fine but introduced some flickering on menus and 2D games like Another World.

Third time after a power on the G-Sync option removed itself completely from the control panel. Unplugging the display port and plugging it back it fixed it.

Its working for now but still introduces some flicker. I have just set it to disabled because I can't be arsed with it. I did do a fresh, clean installed using driver sweeper to remove my previous installation before I got the latest drivers from nVidia.

I'll be waiting until they release a new driver before I start dicking about with it again.

Back