ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Well maybe with them being available in the rest of the world, we'll get some more reviews and info of how it actually performs. I was really wanting to grab up one of these monitors when I first saw them. The hype has died down now though, and I'm questioning if I want to drop $800 on it.

I saw Bluesun311 mention a Benq monitor that may be similar to this one, anyone have any info on that monitor? Maybe when some competition comes out it might cut that price tag a bit. I could probably wait a little while longer for that.....

See here http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1268-benq-gsync-displays-xl2420g-xl2720g

Those were due out first quarter of 2014 but I had asked Benq on their facebook page a few weeks back and they said September. I am assuming they are having similar issues with the GSYNC modules that ASUS had.

No pricing info yet either.

See here http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1268-benq-gsync-displays-xl2420g-xl2720g

Those were due out first quarter of 2014 but I had asked Benq on their facebook page a few weeks back and they said September. I am assuming they are having similar issues with the GSYNC modules that ASUS had.

No pricing info yet either.

Thx for the info. I will have to keep an eye on that.

I wonder why we haven't seen any other Gsync monitors hit the market yet. You would think the 1080p Gsync units wouldn't need to be "overclocked" and would have already hit the market by now. I need to do some reading, I've been focused on the swift far too long :)

Do these monitors get a special dead/bright pixel guarantee being that they're ridiculously expensive? I mean it would suck to get such a "premium" monitor and be stuck with a bunch of dead pixels.

And I *know*, 100% fact, that if I get this monitor it will have at least one. Every 1080p phone I've bought, and every monitor >= 2560 resolution has had at least one. It's really depressing.

@dragindime
I mean Gsync essentially doubles the price of most 1080p monitors for something that only a very niche market cares about (the upgrade from vsync to gsync). I'm not surprised that companies are having a hard time creating sensible, marketable products with gsync.

ULMB is the real deal though, and this monitor also happens to be the only native 1440p 144hz monitor so... :)

"Next month, North American customers will be able to purchase this monitor at Digital Storm, Falcon Northwest, Maingear and Overlord Computer."

Bah... so Amazon isn't going to have a batch of these when they come to USA???

Grrrr... for the price, I really wanted a guarantee...

@dragindime
I mean Gsync essentially doubles the price of most 1080p monitors for something that only a very niche market cares about (the upgrade from vsync to gsync). I'm not surprised that companies are having a hard time creating sensible, marketable products with gsync.

ULMB is the real deal though, and this monitor also happens to be the only native 1440p 144hz monitor so... :)

Yeah, I figured someone would be rushing to the market with them though. You would think the first ones will fly of the shelves, since there are no others. Maybe that's what they are doing with the Swift. If you want Gsync, pay up $800 for this, or continue to wait... guess that works :D

JJ Says early august for announcement, so sometime mid August we should expect the first units to be shipped to buyers

1726009shut_up_and_take_my_money_super_thumb.jpg

JJ Says early august for announcement, so sometime mid August we should expect the first units to be shipped to buyers

I've given up on it, I'll buy something else. Been waiting since March and I would bet it gets pushed back again or released with zero stock so you can't get them until 2015 anyways. My eyes can't take the flickering of my VG236HE backlight going out any more, I need to get something now.

I partially fault NVIDIA for this. They've not done enough to really sell people on the idea of non-isochronous display refresh. Obviously, gathering three industry giants in the same room extolling its virtues does connect with some people, but I really think they should've gone a step further and done some sort of G-Sync road tour or something. It's something you have to experience to understand, so "taking it to the street" was what they needed to do.

That said, the onus is on display vendors to do their portions as well, and countless delays haven't exactly helped their cause.

I guess this is the only upcoming 2560x1440 display with 144hz?
Currently running 2x R9 290 and a Benq XL2411t 144hz 1080p.

I think atleast it should would work with AMD cards?

btw if there ever comes a non G-Sync version, is a DUAL LINK DVI 5 meter cable capable of displaying 2560x1440 @144hz?

my cable does 1080x1080 @ 144hz flawless, but not sure where the limit would be?

It seems this has been released now, some shop has it in stock here in scandinavia, and
"varying by region, and the monitor should be available in Taiwan, APAC and EU today, with China in mid-August and North America by the end of August." (from anandtech).

@grandpatzer:
It actually varies depending on cable quality. I run 2560x1440x120hz right now on a dual link dvi cable fairly successfully (but short, like 2 meters or say 6 feet). 5 meter cables are quite likely to not work, especially when you try to push to 144hz. If you have a thicker cable (24AWG) you might do better, but i'd be fairly surprised if you got 144hz to work over 5 meters of cable.

Which, of course, is why this uses the DisplayPort specification as it handles more bandwidth more reliably.
I partially fault NVIDIA for this. They've not done enough to really sell people on the idea of non-isochronous display refresh. Obviously, gathering three industry giants in the same room extolling its virtues does connect with some people, but I really think they should've gone a step further and done some sort of G-Sync road tour or something. It's something you have to experience to understand, so "taking it to the street" was what they needed to do.

That said, the onus is on display vendors to do their portions as well, and countless delays haven't exactly helped their cause.
its 100% nvidia's fault lol. Honestly though I don't give a flying fuck about gsync it's by far the least desirable feature of this monitor (to me).

If it didn't cost 200 bucks for something that AMD says they can do for free, and if it actually did anything more than eliminate tearing then we'd be seeing products rushed out etc.

OCUK are saying they are shipping out their 1st batch tomorrow, so there will be some happy gamers on Saturday!

I've given up on it, I'll buy something else. Been waiting since March and I would bet it gets pushed back again or released with zero stock so you can't get them until 2015 anyways. My eyes can't take the flickering of my VG236HE backlight going out any more, I need to get something now.

Qnix QX2710 for me. Im not waiting any longer. The Qnix is so cheap that I wont regret it even if I decide to grab this down the road

My DVI Dual Link cable is thicker then normal DVI cables, also it gives perfect picture @ 1920x1080 144hz. It's 99.99% copper.

But I guess I won't find out if my 5 meter (30ft) cable will work until I test it with a 2560x1440 144hz display.

I really like 1080p 144hz, incase my DVI cable does not work I'll have to find a DP 1.2 5meter cable then?

But atleast with this display only DP 1.2 is available

@grandpatzer:
It actually varies depending on cable quality. I run 2560x1440x120hz right now on a dual link dvi cable fairly successfully (but short, like 2 meters or say 6 feet). 5 meter cables are quite likely to not work, especially when you try to push to 144hz. If you have a thicker cable (24AWG) you might do better, but i'd be fairly surprised if you got 144hz to work over 5 meters of cable.

Which, of course, is why this uses the DisplayPort specification as it handles more bandwidth more reliably.

Edit---> follow up question: are there any DP 1.2 5meter(30ft) cables that can handle 2560x1440 @144hz?

Rome wasn't built in a day. Sad thing is that G-Sync (and its equivalents) may or may not take off. Marketing will ultimately decide. Or... Perhaps visual tearing doesn't annoy the crap out of anyone but a minority? I know that while I personally would rather not deal with tearing, it doesn't annoy me that much.

Qnix QX2710 for me. Im not waiting any longer. The Qnix is so cheap that I wont regret it even if I decide to grab this down the road

I'm looking at those as well, I haven't looked in a while because I bought a Catleap when they first became big and it caught fire, huge flames came out of it and I had to repaint the wall.

I won't buy one if they are more than msrp here in the states. I'm already toying with throwing in the to well on this and just buying a benq.

AnandTech released an article about this today: "ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Monitor Released in APAC/EU, North America Coming September".

AnandTech released an article about this today: "ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Monitor Released in APAC/EU, North America Coming September".

LOL

think I might pre-order a 120hz Overlord Tempest instead. They told me pre-orders will ship on July 28th

$350 less and IPS+120hz and don't have to wait till Sept :p

The article must have been edited, cause now it says "end of August".

I don't mind. My current rig can't handle this monitor (GTX 470 SLI) so I will be waiting to build a new machine. Hopefully all the parts I want will come out in September or soon after (GTX 880, Haswell-E, DDR4). No point in building a machine now with so much coming.

Also, while $800 is a tad steep, this monitor is packed with all the features (1440P, 144Hz, 3D, G-Sync, etc.). I think it deserves the premium.

Do these monitors get a special dead/bright pixel guarantee being that they're ridiculously expensive? I mean it would suck to get such a "premium" monitor and be stuck with a bunch of dead pixels.

And I *know*, 100% fact, that if I get this monitor it will have at least one. Every 1080p phone I've bought, and every monitor >= 2560 resolution has had at least one. It's really depressing.

This is the results of my Googlefoo... Even tho this isn't our monitor, the info is there.

http://support.asus.com/Warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VE247H

the Premium Range of ASUS LCDs offers a unique Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) warranty.
Then there is a table, that can't be easily pasted, follow the link to see.

http://support.asus.com/Warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VE247H

Enough googling showed me that this monitor will, of course, be a premium monitor.

My DVI Dual Link cable is thicker then normal DVI cables, also it gives perfect picture @ 1920x1080 144hz. It's 99.99% copper.

But I guess I won't find out if my 5 meter (30ft) cable will work until I test it with a 2560x1440 144hz display.

I really like 1080p 144hz, incase my DVI cable does not work I'll have to find a DP 1.2 5meter cable then?

But atleast with this display only DP 1.2 is available

Edit---> follow up question: are there any DP 1.2 5meter(30ft) cables that can handle 2560x1440 @144hz?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the DP 1.2 spec only guarantees quality of signal up to 3 metres. Beyond that you're looking at visual artifacts and the like as signal quality is reduced over distance. DP 1.2 has a lot more bandwidth than DL-DVI, and with that bandwidth comes more restrictions on cable length as far as signal quality is concerned.

BTW, 5 metres == 16.4 feet. 30 feet == 9.1 metres. :cool:

I'll wait even into next year for this. It's the clear winner for gaming for those who have NVidia GPUs.

I'm hoping beyond hope somebody releases a VA competitor to this soon, but more than likely I'm buying this thing the second I can. Re - selling it if I don't like it.

I'm hoping beyond hope somebody releases a VA competitor to this soon, but more than likely I'm buying this thing the second I can. Re - selling it if I don't like it.

An eizo 2560x1440 120+hz variant, would be very nice.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the DP 1.2 spec only guarantees quality of signal up to 3 metres. Beyond that you're looking at visual artifacts and the like as signal quality is reduced over distance. DP 1.2 has a lot more bandwidth than DL-DVI, and with that bandwidth comes more restrictions on cable length as far as signal quality is concerned.

BTW, 5 metres == 16.4 feet. 30 feet == 9.1 metres. :cool:

Maybe I will have to settle for 1080p 144hz then, I might need a 5 meter cable for my current PC :D , maybe if I move my PC / monitor I might just barely make it with 3meter cable.

I guess for 2560x1440 144hz a DP 1.2 cable 3 meters / 9.84 feet is the limit then?

I did some calculation, 2560x1440 144hz is a increase of 77.78% data over 1080p at 144hz.

Now if running the 2560x1440 @ 100hz the difference is only 23.45% more data.

One "ugly" solution would be to run Single player games at 1440p 100hz and then for the competitive online gaming run 1080p 144hz as long as the display scales well....

One "ugly" solution would be to run Single player games at 1440p 100hz and then for the competitive online gaming run 1080p 144hz as long as the display scales well....
With G-Sync, I don't think the difference between 100 Hz and 144 Hz will be particularly obvious. It doesn't seem like too ugly a solution.

I'm presuming, of course, that G-Sync will actually work at 100 Hz.

I will be waiting to build a new machine. Hopefully all the parts I want will come out in September or soon after (GTX 880, Haswell-E, DDR4). No point in building a machine now with so much coming.

Yeah, I've got the same thinking. I've basically been waiting for this monitor and a card better than the GTX 780 Ti (3gb). There were rumors of a 6gb version but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. If the GTX 880 isn't too far away, maybe a second 1440p competitor to this monitor will come out so we've got more than just one to pick from. I'm not sure if I can wait for the next gen of the Intel CPUs though.

Back