ASUS A8V Deluxe won't even POST?

At first I had installed the board end everything ... well at the moment, it,s sitting on a cardboard box out of the case with only the power switch, reset switch and the 2 power cables from the power supply (one has a square 4-pronged connector, the other is the standard 20-pin power connector).

When I put the PSU's power on, the green light on the motherboard turns on. When I press the power switch, the CPU fans and the PSU fans spin, but nothing else happens. At first I was listening for beep codes ... NOTHING. I even tried plugging in some headphones in the audio jack to listen for a supposed voice ... again NOTHING.

At the moment, the only thing on the board is the CPU. No ram, no vid card, no peripherals, no drives NOTHING. Even with nothing plugged in I should hear SOMETHING.

Does anyone have a clue instead of me returning the thing? At least I bought it from a brick and mortar shop so i can return it and get an MSI NEO2 platinum or even the Abit AV8.

The only thing I haven't tried is firing it up without a CPU installed. I did disassemble the HSF from the CPU once already to make sure it was properly mounted. no problems there. I also cleared the CMOS and removed the battery for a minute. I see a lot of discussions concerning this issue and a lot of them mention flashing the BIOS or changing some BIOS settings ... I can't even get to the POST much less enter BIOS.

Here's the set-up I'm trying to build:

ASUS A8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 3200+ (s939) Stock cooling
Antec Case w/350Watt PS (SX635B-II)
Maxtor SATA 8MB Cache 80GB
Lite-on CD-RW
ATI 9600-XT 128MB
OCZ 2*256MB PC3200 Ram

The psu is the issue. It is way underspec'd for that system. Try a higher end NAME BRAND psu from a friend to confirm this but I think that is your issue...

It's the Antec 350W PSU ... how much more name brand do you want????

It can't be the PSU ... there's nothing plugged into the motherboard but the CPU. The mainboard is getting power, just not posting.

My friends mostly have 3 year old rigs with 250W or 300W very very generic PSU's :D

I'm calling the shop this afternoon.

i have exactly the same problem. I rma'd my board and cpu and they tested fine. Everything else tested fine, only thing i havent tested is the HDD and the PSU. Another HDD is arriving tomorrow, so i can test that. But the PSU is a Hiper 480watt. A good PSU, that worked fine before i tried it with this mobo. If you find a remedy please give me a bell on msn: [email protected].

Check to make sure the 24 to 20 pin power connecter is good.
In my case, a pin got pushed back. Everything spun up, but the CPU was dead.
Look at my web site for pictures, scroll down about half way.
Pull apart the power connectors and make sure no pins got pushed back. And of coarse, make sure the 4 pin power connector is plugged in and no pins got pushed back on that one either.
http://www.nogodforme.com/MyBabyTera.htm

I got mine to work. Kind of. I put 1 memory stick in the 3rd slot from
the processor (it is supposed to be B1) and put the vid card on and
gave it a whirl with just those on there and it POSTed.

The reason it wasn't working for me is that my processor is a 3200+
and it has on-chip memory controller which doesn't recognise anything
unless it's only 1 stick of ram in slot B1. That allowed me to flash
the BIOS. Then I was able to install both sticks of RAM and have them
recognised by the BIOS and it could POST.

The kind of part is that now i can't get Windows setup to recognise my
SATA drive.

Things I did:

- Plug in both power connectors (1 is a standard 20-pin connector and
the other is the 12v 4-pin connector). It plugs into a square 4-pin
slot above and to the left of the processor when the faceplate is on
your left.
- Install processor
- Install 1 stick of RAM in the the third slot from the processor (the
blue one furthest from the processor)
- Install the video card
- Hook up monitor to vid card, keyboard and power to the PSU and fire it up.

Something that i thought might not be directly a problem may actually be hampering progress.
Basically, i cant just turn my pc on for the switch on my case. It only powers on when i flick the switch on the backon the PSU. I know everythings plugged in right, is there aa way to remedy this problem? It might help.

my experience with the A8V no post-- make sure the square 4 pin connector is FIRMLY attached or no post because of no power to CPU. Winchester CPU's will demand ONLY 1 ram stick in slot B1 only until flashed to a newer bios. Finally, remove all the cards to make sure you dont' have one misseated or god forbid what happened to me, my criticool II PCI card flat out shuts down my MSI Neo2 plat, I had to remove it totally. Still havent' resolved that one yet. OH, and also, if it still won't post, clear the cmos, making sure to turn off the power supply first so the green light goes out. Hope this helps. Another thing, sometimes the cmos battery arrives dead, you might invest a couple bucks in a new one.

Ive decided that ive had enough of asus shite. Im going to sell the board on ebay, along with my 6600gt agp. The board tested fine so theres absolutly nothing wrong with it and my 6600gt is a very nice card.
I plan to buy the Gigabyte mobo with the nforce 4.4-x mobo with PCI-e (not sli) and gettting a pci-e 6600. Hopefully it'll work then :p

I have the same exact power supply working with my Asus A8V Deluxe and 3400+ processor, (2) harddisk, (2) burners, another removable hdd, etc. Its not the power supply unless it is physically bad.

Ryland said:
I have the same exact power supply working with my Asus A8V Deluxe and 3400+ processor, (2) harddisk, (2) burners, another removable hdd, etc. Its not the power supply unless it is physically bad.

Hiper type R 480w? Its almost certainly not bad because it worked fine before i put it in this machine. I have no idea what i can do to get this damn machine working.

With my friend's A8V Deluxe and 3200+ combo I was building for him, I put a stick of Corsair XMS3200C2 in DIMM slot B1, put the latest BIOS on the floppy with the filename A8V.ROM, booted up, hit ALT+F2 to go into the BIOS flash utility. It worked the first time for me. He's also running a SmartPower 350W, they're quite good for the money (a lot better than the generic doorstops).

It wont even boot nevermind have a chance to update the bios. This isnt just a doorstop PSU, its a good psu. It was on review at bit-tech.net not so long ago.

This makes absolutly no sense at all. I posted my problem at bit-tech here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=888905#post888905
It was suggested i clear the CMOS and try the 1 stick of ram like you guys suggested. So i cleared it and it gave me the message "system failed VGA test". So i took out my 6600gt and put in an old 9600 and low and behold it POSTed, but i didnt have any disks or anything ready to update the bios or anything so i turned it off. It wouldnt POST again. I resetted the CMOS and it booted, i didnt take the opportunity to update and turned it off again. I now have the latest bios on floppy and am ready to update. I turn the swith and it wont POST. I reset the CMOS and it wont post. Now nothing i do will make the damn thing POST and all i get is this scatty bitch telling me that my system has failed becuase of the CPU. This DOESNT MAKE SENSE!!!!

I wouldn't be so sure it isn't your power supply. Mine was showing the same symptoms, so I RMAed it and it tested good. Next I got a new power supply, and it has worked fine ever since. The original power supply was an Antec True 380S, which still works fine in my old system.

Well I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad experience with this motherboard. Like you, I had problems, but they were all related to my void of knowledge about the capriciousness of the memory controller and correct installation procedure. Initially I had not plugged in the 4-pin connector. After that, I was installing 2 sticks of RAM out of the box.

In the end I had a problem getting the windows setup to see my SATA drive (even after having formatted it using the MaxBlast3 software from Maxtor), but I was under the wrong impression that the SATA controller (non-raid)was the promise controller. The promise controller is the IDE controller and the RAID controller (the red SATA connectors). The SATA controller's drivers are in the VIA 4in1 directory on the CD. As soon as I used those drivers, installation was flawless. I subsequently updated all the drivers from the ASUS site with 0 problems(including the Vid card's catalyst drivers).

This computer is not for me, but was had entirely for 900$ Can$. I will build myself a better one soon. The requirement was for a 1000$ PC which is pretty damn close after taxes.(We get ripped on taxes around here ... about 15.5%)

Antec SX635B-II case with 350Watt PSU
Maxtor 80GB SATA w/8MB buffer
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Lite-ON 52X CD-RW
ASUS A8V-Deluxe Motherboad
AMD Athlon 64 s939 3200+ (Stock cooling)
512MB RAM (Dual 256MB) OCZ PC3200

I managed to get it working, ish. Ive managed to get it to boot now, i managed to get it to boot by chance and i updated the bios and now im running smooth apart fromnow i cant format my hdd in nfts -_- Oh well, at least ive got something to work with.

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I didn't use the Windows formatting for my drive.

I had a Maxtor 80Gb and downloaded an application which you can set up to boot from floppies or a CD (I opted for the CD). The application was MaxBlast3. The documentation and How-to's I found were shoddy at best and it's confusing as hell on Maxtor's site ... they never mention the utility is for SATA drives as well. They even have jumper settings for my drive ... HELLO MAXTOR! It's an SATA drive and has no jumpers. (They're there but useless ... the same drive housing must be used intercgangeably for SATA and IDE hence the presence of the pins with no actual functionnality).

Anyway ... I used that to format/partition the drive the drive. The software didn't recognise the controller my disk was on, but it formatted it just fine. In fact i wasn't sure it had succeeded because it took just 5 seconds to format the entire drive. I guess it's because it could detect the drive was brand new.

Windows Setup can format the drives for you, the only caveot is that you need to have the RAID drivers on a floppy and hit F6 (I think) when it asks for 3rd party drivers. After you load the drivers it will detect the Raid controller and then you should have access to your drives for formatting and installing windows.

Back