• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS A8R32-MVP squealing?

psupef2k

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
73
Does anyone else have this board and experience a quiet, but high pitched squealing noise at times the CPU or GPU is under heavy load? This occured before I started any overclocking of any sort, so I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.
 
gigaxtreme1 said:
Usually a sign of leaking/bad capacitor.
so basically, what you are saying is I need to RMA? I am taking the board out of the machine today to install an SI-120, so I will take a look at all the capacitors. Anything specific I should look for?
 
Nothing to look at, noisy caps look just like quiet caps. ;)

The squealing caps is a known issue with the A8R32, so you should have no problem getting an RMA from your vendor or Asus directly.
 
Yeah, i had to RMA my first board because of this but i was able to send it back no problems :D

I have had no problems with my current board
 
The cap is shorted internally, no external signs in most cases other than squeeling, due to excessive loading.

MD
 
Overvolt said:
Yeah, i had to RMA my first board because of this but i was able to send it back no problems :D

I have had no problems with my current board
would it be better to RMA through ZipZoomFly or ASUS directly?
 
psupef2k said:
would it be better to RMA through ZipZoomFly or ASUS directly?
when I had to rma to zzf it took about a week and a half, never rma'd through asus though.
 
wouldnt the squeeling more likely be due to an inductor, not a capacitor?
 
Yeah, I thought it was usually the toroidal coils that squeal. The "wire-wrapped donuts."

Oh well whatever. Id go zzf. They are good. They replaced my Ultra-D. Didn't even end up being the Ultra-D's fault. Oops.
 
Of course it never hurts to unplug the fans temporarily to rule them out but It's probably the board. Transformers actually 'squeal' as well at times. Does it sound similar the the background noise a TV makes. How you can listen and tell that it's on sort of sound. Extremely high pitched and fairly annoying at times.
 
2uantuM said:
wouldnt the squeeling more likely be due to an inductor, not a capacitor?
Capacitor Failure Patterns in DC Circuits
The majority of capacitor failures, perhaps 90%, involve the internal shorting of the capacitor. Once shorted, the capacitor frequently causes power-supply overload, often causing the power supply to blow a fuse or other wise fail. In less drastic failures, the capaitor no longer functions to isolate DC voltages from one circuit to another. If power is still applied, this failure is easilly determined with a DC voltmeter since there is a zero voltage drop across a shorted coupling capacitor.

...If the electrolytics are bad, the oscillation can be a squeal...


James Perozzo: Practical Electronics - Troubleshooting

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/smpsfaq.htm#smpsstsm

High pitched, but audible, whine - Excessive load. Like (1), this may be caused by shorted components. For example, a common failure a Panasonic VCR power supply is for the 18 V zener diode across the 15 V output to short due to dried up electrolytic capacitors. The result in an overload and whine, but usually not a catastrophic failure of anything else.



And that is why I loathe cheap capacitors...

MD
 
Back
Top