Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe orientation

Neutrino

Gawd
I have a quick question about the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I plan to purchase one to replace my DFI (mainly to get rid of that annoying chipset fan).
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=744&l1=3&l2=15&l3=226

Anyway my dilemma is: I have a Lian Li V1000 case which sports a reverse ATX design hence the mobo sits upside down with the CPU at the bottom and the PCI slots at the top. Now since the A8N-32 uses heatpipes to cool off the chipsets will they be affected negatively by the fact that the board is upside down?

I was never sure how much are heatpipes affected by positioning.

And a few final questions for the owners of this board: How happy are you with it, how picky is it about memory and how well does it cool?

Thanks in advance for your replies.:)

I have that board in that case and I have no problems. My temps are the same as they were in my other case. The only problem I had with this case/mobo, was that I had to reverse the pins on the HDD LED in order for it to light up.

spazzard said:
I have that board in that case and I have no problems. My temps are the same as they were in my other case. The only problem I had with this case/mobo, was that I had to reverse the pins on the HDD LED in order for it to light up.

Glad to hear that it works.

Also if you don't mind me asking: I'm actually quite curious what kind of temps do you see on the mosfets and chipsets?

mid to high 30's, occasionally low 40's here. using thermalright si-120, so might get a bit lower temps due to the 120 fan blowing directly down on the passive chipset heatpipe cooler thing. tt matrix vx case, 6800gt sli.

ClintE said:
mid to high 30's, occasionally low 40's here. using thermalright si-120, so might get a bit lower temps due to the 120 fan blowing directly down on the passive chipset heatpipe cooler thing. tt matrix vx case, 6800gt sli.

good temps

Jasonx82 said:
Made my temps rise

Coolermaster Wavemaster
CPU: 35c
MOBO: 29c

Lian Li V1200
CPU: 37c
MOBO: 39c

:eek:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=996448&highlight=Jasonx82

Auch 10 degrees that is a lot, this is what I was afraid of.

To work a heatpipe as designed it is suppose to be upright.the fluid in the cooler turns to vapor and is made to rise and condence in the radiator on the top of the board.reversing the board,putting it in upside down defeats the way its suppose to work ideally.others have run there boards reversed and they work but usually with higher temps.the cooling fluid dosent circulate correctly.so if you use it reversed be prepared to have higher than normal temps.you also would want to consider putting more fans blowing on the motherboard chipsets to compensate.kinda defeats the silence of the design.just think about the design.....hot air rises to the radiator where it cools and condences into liquid and runs down to the hot chipset where it boils and vapor rises to the radiator over and over again.upside down the vapor cant rise and the hot liquid and vapor stay on the chipset.some cooling may occur but very little and cooling is not efficient.
Ideally you need a standard case for that motherboard or a motherboard with fan cooling.as much complaining i read about with small fans i always prefer the active cooling.i can always change a fan out and have cooler temps than the heatpipe coolers.my asus a8n-e has a modified cooler on the nf4 chiset and its always about 35c.cooler than most nf4 chipsets.its quiet and looks great also.if the fan goes out in a year or two so be it,ill spend the 7 dollars and put another one on it.
well good luck with whatever you decide to do....just my 2 cents.
another thought its like freon in an airconditioner,liquid to vapor ...condences to liquid...removes heat ,vaporizes moves to condenser and turns to liquid.

Thanks for the info wesleys_dad. I had a decent understanding of heatpipe tech but I was never sure how much did their positioning affect their efficiency in the real world.

Anyway it seems that they still do offer decent cooling, but as Jasonx82 stated they are hotter by about 10 degrees. That is quite a bit.

Also I understand your position on active chipset coolers; however I reached a point where I had enough of them. Had to replace a bunch of them on several of my friends’ boards recently plus on my board is even worse because the video card partially overlaps the chipset so my selection of replacement coolers is very limited. Not to mention even with active cooling my chipset runs hot, to reduce its temps I had to rig an extra 80mm fan to blow on it. And now to top it of from time to time it randomly decides to set of a nasty resonance in my case.

I think I found a solution though: the Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe.
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1042&l1=3&l2=15&l3=268

It’s based on the R580 chipset which seems to get good reviews and with the ULi M1575 south bridge which also seems to get good reviews. It seems the 580 runs cool even with a basic passive heatsink so it might be the answer to my problems.

Doh, I think I just realized why mine is hot. I switched to this board and a Lian-Li 1000 PCV-1000. I even replaced the paste with arctic silver and still it was running at like 48-52 degrees. Hmmmmmmm... How to flip it over... :(

if you want one, i got one for sale :D

Used but in near perfect condition. My computer had a meltdown and i bought a replacement mobo thinking it was the root of the problem but it was an HDD issue so i decided to keep the new motherboard. When i said near perfect, well i had a slight tug of war with my PCI-Express cards in two different instances and snapped off the retention clamp on both pci-e x16 slots, but other than that small thing, it works great!! asking 150+shipping.

havok735 said:
Doh, I think I just realized why mine is hot. I switched to this board and a Lian-Li 1000 PCV-1000. I even replaced the paste with arctic silver and still it was running at like 48-52 degrees. Hmmmmmmm... How to flip it over... :(

Bummer, and without some serious metal fabrication skills I cannot see how you could flip it. One thing though that you could do is: lay the case on its side or even upside down for a while to see if that is your only problem. If it is your temps should drop a lot, if not maybe there is another problem.

board2death986 said:
if you want one, i got one for sale :D

Sorry but i've alredy decided it will not work for me because of the case so i've already oredered the Asus A8R32-MVP

Wow, Im currently using a Lian Li PC-V1000 series case and was about to order this motherboard. Guess not now...

just put some active or large passive heatsinks on the chips. not that difficult at all, i did it for 3 users who didn't care about the warranty or the small increase in noise. 2 of them didn't even have reversed atx cases, just wanted to make sure the chip temps were controlled properly. the thermal pads / paste the manuf uses is not very efficient for its purpose, and just replacing that helps temps by at least a few degrees.

if my a8n32's temps were higher, i'd do it in a minute.

as for warranty, if the heatpipe hardware is carefully removed, you could always replace it before sending in for repair.

I ran my board upside down for a few hours before buying the case, just to make sure it wouldnt be a problem.

current temps are cpu-34c mobo-31c

Back