Asus A8N32 Overclocking Tools?

CraigJay

n00b
What tools are you using to overclock your A8N32? I usually use Clockgen, but it does not work with the new nForce4 chipset on the A8N32. What other utilities are there to change the HTT in windows?

Craig

Using the BIOS means a reboot between every increment. Using Clockgen, one can increment a Mhz at a time while running Prime95 to test limits. It would take days using the BIOS.

I'll check the CD for the Asus AI software and see if that works.

The truth?
Or at least mine?
I've so far had fairly shitty results. AI is only good for 5% stable on my combo. Minimal experimentaion in straight bios overclocking has only got me 10% stable.

System:
AMD 4200 X2
Zalman 9600(?)
Corsair 3200 pro Cas 2
PC Power&Cooling 510

Relaxed memory to T2, bumped memory to manual 2.75v
CPU bumped to 3/4 max (can't remember)
Dropped multiplier, raised FSB.

Temps went from around 38C to 42C with the extra voltage. Not bad. My guess is there's more available, it's just going to take more experimentation.
This board is gioing to take more work to get significant numbers.

Things to keep in mind:

The original Nforce 4 was a single chip design.
The A8n32 retros to a split northbridge/southbridge chipset. In the bios, you can manually set the multipliers for the individual busses. I can't remember the splits offhand, or what they affect, but my guess is understanding what's running on each side is essential to estimating workable permutations. It was something like the northbridge does the memory, one of the PCI 16X slots, the southbridge does the SATA, the othe 16X, etc.

Do not quote me, or take any of the above as gospel. I'm just relating vague recollections of reviews, and a few outright guesses. I haven't seen any recipes for success, though hopefully someone will come up with some guidelines.

Problems:

The collective has difficulty assimilating consistent data due to the wide range of socket 939 CPU designs. Secondary is memory design/capability. PSU voltage requierments are frusterating many hopefulls.Get the basics straight.

Random thoughts:
The payoff of overclocking ain't what it used to be. Overclocking a Celeron 300A to 506mhz on a BX chipset was fricken amazing. Taking a Duron 900 to 1.2Ghz a year before a 1ghz chip was available was great. I honestly can't tell the difference between a stock 4200 X2, and a 10% overclock, unless I'm looking at synthetic benchmarks or reporting software. I think the proper bios settings, and physical hardware can beat the shit out of a 10% overclock. I don't think we will ever match the joy of the old days though.

I do promise that at some future date, I'll get my shit straight, and thrash the hell out of this board. If anyone gets farther, faster, let us know. I think the key is understanding the northbridge/southbridge permutations. This will make your head hurt, if you do it right. Somebody is going to get a righteous overclock out of this board.

I'd say use the bios also. Here's my results:

Opteron 165, stock speed: 1800mhz
Opteron 165 on water and an A8N32: 2560mhz

And that's with crucial value memory.

I'd say that's more than a 10% overclock.

The issue is that the mobo has a ton of memory options to dig through. Get it right, and you'll be amazed. Stable as hell too. I just spent an hour playing CS while doing a 135GB filter job in Virtualdub at the same time. With SLI cards at 1920x1200.

God life is good.

Back