ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and Opteron 170 Work Without Bios Flash?

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
Will I need to update the BIOS on the mobo before the Opteron 170 will work?

Or will it work just fine.

Also, I've never flashed a mobo before. Is it possible to flash it even though the processor doesn't work yet?

It should still work either way. CPUZ will tell you if things are wacked.

If so, have no worry. The Asus Update proggy works like magic :) Think it takes 2 clicks of the mouse! My abit mobo only takes 1 :p

qbackin said:
It should still work either way. CPUZ will tell you if things are wacked.

If so, have no worry. The Asus Update proggy works like magic :) Think it takes 2 clicks of the mouse! My abit mobo only takes 1 :p

I was just worried because I read somewhere that the motherboard won't even post if the BIOS doesn't support the Opteron. I couldn't figure out how you'd update the BIOS if you couldn't get anything to post.

Thx for the help though. Just relieved a bit of my new system anxiety (first build jitters).

You may need to update the chipset drivers.

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Why did my system failed to shut down or restart after I updated BIOS to latest beta version? My system was set on RAID disks.

Answer
Please note that latest beta BIOS has to be used with the following chipset drivers.

For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later
For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later
For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later
For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V

Back