ASUS A8N-SLI DISK BOOT FAILURE

apopilot

Weaksauce
I just completed building an awesome gaming rig. The follow components are part of the system.

A8N-SLI PREMIUM
AMD 3200+ VENICE core
BFG 7800GTX
CORSAIR XPERT 1GB MEMORY
Thermaltake Liquid Cooling.
and a MAXTOR 250GB 16mb DIAMOND MAX 10 Hard Drive SATA 150

I have installed windows 3 times. Everytime I do a Windows update or install a drivers and do houskeeping I reboot when it asks. I then either get a frozen screen on the WINDOWS XP PRO startup image or usually in caps it states DISK BOOT FAILURE. PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK. Now, I have this on the NVIDIA SATA controller.

I also but rarely during all this have received a BLUE SCREEN stating Exception failure.

My CPU is running at 29 degrees C. The memory is right on I see it on the XPERT modules.

I am a little frustrated because last night I was enjoying DOOM 3 and FLIGHT SIM 2004 on my new rig and it was flying. Ironically it happened last night several times. I unplugged the PC overnite. This morning I plugged it back in and it booted and went to Microsofts CHECKDISK utility and it worked?

Is the hard drive bad? What do you think is wrong?

Please post.

Can you be more specific with the error. Does it have any filenames or hex codes with it (such as 0x000000 0x00000 etc...)

It did have a hex code. I should have wrote it down. I believe it was cX0021000.

Now I have anothe problem.

No actually it was booting properly. Now its even worse. It actually worked for once. Now when I tried the ASUS overclocking utility my computer froze in Windows. Then when I rebooted it wont even turn on my monitor and I can not boot from the CD to reinstall windows. Please help someone.

Ok its booting because I found teh AIS NOS overclocking utility and deactivated. Now it cant boot into windows because there is a bad winlogon.exe. ERROR.

Also it says it cant find the KDBUS.dll?

Well, I just formatted and reinstalled Windows. This is the third time by the way. Is there anyway I can test the MAXTOR hard drive and MEMORY to make sure thats not the problem. Everytime I do a WINDOWS UPDATE and install new drivers and reboot I get the BOOT DISK FAILURE. This 250GB MAXTOR is connected to the NVIDIA SATA 1.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Memtest is your friend. Get the ISO, burn the CD, boot it. Let it run at least one full pass.
Any errors at your stock settings means it's RMA time. (However you still have to find out if it's the ram, the motherboard, the processor, or perhaps the PSU.)

Let's ignore the HD until your ram checks out.

Not really. There's freeware tools for windows (XP only), or you can use the Nero demo.
Besides, if you've got a cd burner, I assume you've got some burning program?
All of the common ones can handle iso files.

You can also make a boot floppy, if that's easier. There's a package with the floppy image and a program to write it a bit further down on the page.

Well I received a Free copy of INTERVIDEO DISK COPY from ASUS. That doesnt work. IT basically copies the ISO to the Disc. I also did a search for freeware. I installed a couple of them and that doesnt work. I also went to NERO's website for a free trial version and they currently dont have one available.

Amazing I am running the PC off of a old IDE hard drive and so far so good.

My question is when there is a DISK BOOT FAILURE what makes this happen? Should I try the SILICON IMAGE SATA controller and not the NVIDIA?

GOOD UPDATE. Some more input would be appreciated.

I found out that it was the NFORCE driver that was causing all the havoc. Now I was installing the entire NFORCE package. I was installing the NFORCE NVIDIA drivers before I did the SP2 upgrade. Has anyone come across this with an SATA drive. I installed my older IDE HD and it worked fine with the NFORCE drivers?

apopilot said:
GOOD UPDATE. Some more input would be appreciated.

I found out that it was the NFORCE driver that was causing all the havoc. Now I was installing the entire NFORCE package. I was installing the NFORCE NVIDIA drivers before I did the SP2 upgrade. Has anyone come across this with an SATA drive. I installed my older IDE HD and it worked fine with the NFORCE drivers?
Stick to the standard MS IDE drivers, not the NVidia IDE drivers.

However, this sounds very strange, since that error message usually means that the BIOS couldn't find anything suitable to boot, and that happens long before any windows drivers get involved. It usually means you have a hardware failure of some sort (loose/unconnected cables are the most common, but several more permanent problems would give the same symptoms.).

We'll have to hope that you got that message at another point and from another source. :)
(And there's no reason for me to dive into the fun of burning iso files in windows if it now works for you.)

Also, did you update to the latest BIOS? I believe 1007 is the earliest version that supports the Venice cores.

The latest BIOS is the 1005 file. 1006 is now in beta for the A8N-SLI Premium.

I dont believe its the hardware and BIOS because now for about 24 hours without NFORCE drivers the system is running perfectly. I did install the NFORCE drivers before SP2 install. Do you think this was the problem?

apopilot said:
The latest BIOS is the 1005 file. 1006 is now in beta for the A8N-SLI Premium.

I dont believe its the hardware and BIOS because now for about 24 hours without NFORCE drivers the system is running perfectly. I did install the NFORCE drivers before SP2 install. Do you think this was the problem?

Ok, good. Software failures are definitely less stressful than hardware failures, so this really worked out for the best.
Yes, I would not be suprised if that mattered. It shouldn't, since you're supposed to be able to apply SP2 to all installs (as far as I know), but ...

BTW, what's up with the interesting capitalisation?

Back