ASUS A8N-SLI differences

the only differences ive noticed are (for Deluxe) 4 more SATA ports w/ dual RAID, Dual gigabit LAN, though they both are capable of up to 10 USB ports.

is there something diff w/ SLI or performance? if dual RAID and dual gigabit LAN are the only differences, ill save the 15$ and just get the Vanilla. thats not worth 15$ to me.

How about for overclocking? I have a 3800+ venice and am planning on doing at most 300-400Mhz overclock with the Asus A8N-SLI NForce4(not deluxe) on air.

I think one important difference which is often overlooked is the space between the PCI-E slots... if you intent to run 6800 Ultras, the MSI's space there is an issue... those cards run HOT, and you'll need good cooling if you want to run with the MSI... the Asus has a nice 2 slot gap there... I think that was a smart move on Asus's part... I think they are the only board with that big of a gap... the MSI board is much better for OCing memory and CPU though, so if that's what you want to do, the MSI would be the better choice. IMHO

revenant said:
I think one important difference which is often overlooked is the space between the PCI-E slots... if you intent to run 6800 Ultras, the MSI's space there is an issue... those cards run HOT, and you'll need good cooling if you want to run with the MSI... the Asus has a nice 2 slot gap there... I think that was a smart move on Asus's part... I think they are the only board with that big of a gap... the MSI board is much better for OCing memory and CPU though, so if that's what you want to do, the MSI would be the better choice. IMHO

Yeah, that about sums it up. I'd go with that recommendation depending on what you'll be doing with the system.

i will be OCing a 3200+ Venice. ill also be buying a 6800GT, and probably buy another one farther down the road (at least 7 months later). ill be using either an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 rev. 2, or a Zalman GPU cooler.

so i need something that will OC well, and have enough space for the required GPU coolers.

Pefectly fine, the ASUS boards have plently of space for video cards, unlike the other manufatures, *Cough* MSI, Gigabyte, DFI yada yada. Although with a sliencer it's fine as it exausts the air out of the PC so them boards are fine..

so does anybody have any firsthand experience w/ the ASUS? as in terms of OCing.

im kinda tied up between this, the DFI Ultra SLI, and MSI Neo4. i will be OCing, but spacing and board layout and stability are also extremely important.

TSS Modder said:
so does anybody have any firsthand experience w/ the ASUS? as in terms of OCing.

im kinda tied up between this, the DFI Ultra SLI, and MSI Neo4. i will be OCing, but spacing and board layout and stability are also extremely important.

Well I have an A8N-SLi and I have been able to OC it to some extent. Not a huge one though. The spacing between the video cards is pretty good on the Asus, as far as I know its the only board that will allow you to use NV5 Silencers for cooling in SLi.

Plus the board is solid and very stable. So while you may not be able to OC it as much as some of the other boards out there, I think the features, stability, quality and the layout (where it pertains to cooling) make it a solid choice.

get the a8n sli premium bro. Overclocking fixed, while maintaning the great layout and stability of the sli deluxe. You can't beat that. I ordered one the other day :)

too bad 1) thats not carried at ChiefValue, and 2) its way over my budget. the A8N-SLI Vanilla is pushing my budget... :(

Yes - the Asus premium board looks really sweet... OCing is supposedly much better and the SLi to non-SLi hardware switch can be done in Windows now... and with that nice big space for your cards, it looks like it has the best of all worlds... well, "looks". I have not seen it's performance stacked next to the DFI or MSI boards yes. anyways, seems like a kickass product. w00t! that's nice. :)

I've been looking around at Newegg, Asus and Pricewatch. Where are you guys seeing a "Premium" version of the A8N-SLI Dlx?

revenant said:
Yes - the Asus premium board looks really sweet... OCing is supposedly much better and the SLi to non-SLi hardware switch can be done in Windows now... and with that nice big space for your cards, it looks like it has the best of all worlds... well, "looks". I have not seen it's performance stacked next to the DFI or MSI boards yes. anyways, seems like a kickass product. w00t! that's nice. :)

Choder said:
I've been looking around at Newegg, Asus and Pricewatch. Where are you guys seeing a "Premium" version of the A8N-SLI Dlx?

Same here I've never seen one for sale.

I have not seen one for sale anywhere... just read about it... also, the link to it on the www.slizone.com "sli certified hardware" section just goes to the main Asus site.. it does not link right to the board info... and I do not see it on their site... it's very strange.

revenant said:
I have not seen one for sale anywhere... just read about it... also, the link to it on the www.slizone.com "sli certified hardware" section just goes to the main Asus site.. it does not link right to the board info... and I do not see it on their site... it's very strange.

What's weirder is there are a few BIOS updates for the A8N-SLi Premium on Asus's website. Yet all their marketting stuff only mentions the Deluxe model. I wonder if this is something that's been sold to OEM's only so far. Or hasn't seen widespread distribution yet for some reason.

Back