Asus A7N8X not booting

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
My old board isn't booting anymore, after powering up it shuts down 2 seconds later, without any beep code or other error.
Without ram nor vid card, ditto
with either or both same
its sitting on my desk without a case so cant really be anything else, the PC was working fine for ages, then recently it didn't always boot and now it doesn't do anything more than that.

Only thing i can think of is you might need a new power supply or a new BIOS battery...Oh, yea...Check your mobo for leaky capacitors. This board came out about the time there was a concern about certain OEM's using capacitors with bad electrolyte...stuff.

I'll try swapping PSUs, the PSU is overkill tho so that should be fine. As for te bios batterie, back when the AA ones in my 486 board were dead it booted fine, it just forgot all settings, so I dont think thats it.

Majeztik12 said:
Only thing i can think of is you might need a new power supply or a new BIOS battery...
Power supply I might be able to see if it he has some POS, but any ATX v1.3 unit should be fine, that board powers the CPU off the +5v. As for the Battery... no. The battery retains settings while the board is disconnected from a power source, you can boot any mainboard without a battery. It will just default to its factory settings every time you unplug it.
Oh, yea...Check your mobo for leaky capacitors. This board came out about the time there was a concern about certain OEM's using capacitors with bad electrolyte...stuff.
Eh... maybe. That was more of an Abit than Asus problem, and moreso on older boards... like the BP-6 and VP-6... not so much on the more recent NF2u boards.

OP: have you tried reseating the HS? if you boot up and the CPU gets too hot too quick it will do exactly what you are saying. Try booting it with nothing (no CPU even) and see if it throws a code. If you cant get it to boot, RMA the sucker.

Majeztik12 said:
A BOOT VIRUS!!!! I have heard of these mythical creatures.
Those affect the first sectors of harddrives, and have nothing to do with the board posting.

I'm having the same problem with my fiancee's A7N8X, and I got a suggestion that it was bad caps when I described the problem. I'm currently going for a used A7N8X-E from the forums as a replacement, hopefully with better quality caps. I replaced the power supply as well, but to no avail.

lithium726 said:
Power supply I might be able to see if it he has some POS, but any ATX v1.3 unit should be fine, that board powers the CPU off the +5v. As for the Battery... no. The battery retains settings while the board is disconnected from a power source, you can boot any mainboard without a battery. It will just default to its factory settings every time you unplug it. Eh... maybe. That was more of an Abit than Asus problem, and moreso on older boards... like the BP-6 and VP-6... not so much on the more recent NF2u boards.

OP: have you tried reseating the HS? if you boot up and the CPU gets too hot too quick it will do exactly what you are saying. Try booting it with nothing (no CPU even) and see if it throws a code. If you cant get it to boot, RMA the sucker.
just tried it without cpu, took forever to get the heatsink off, same problem. Heatsink is one of these huge copper fin ones with a backplate so I doubt it was unseated, forgot the name tho.

Suicidal Insanity said:
just tried it without cpu, took forever to get the heatsink off, same problem. Heatsink is one of these huge copper fin ones with a backplate so I doubt it was unseated, forgot the name tho.
Thermalright?

Ill bet it warped the board. The board sounds dead. RMA it if you can.

Just becuase it was working doesnt mean the weight of that HS slowly warped the board and killed it. It happened to lots of A7N8Xs and NF-7s back in the day. Regardless of how it happened, that board is dead.

Dalrain said:
I'm having the same problem with my fiancee's A7N8X, and I got a suggestion that it was bad caps when I described the problem. I'm currently going for a used A7N8X-E from the forums as a replacement, hopefully with better quality caps. I replaced the power supply as well, but to no avail.

I actually use to own this board in question. It died from bad caps around the cpu. I remember that well.

I'll take this as an opportunity to learn, I think. Could someone describe what a "bad" capacitor looks like? Or post pictures?

Also, does anyone know if the A7N8X-E suffered from the same bad caps, or if that was after the bad cap fiasco?

All of these boards were after the bad cap fiasco. The bad cap fiasco happened in like, 1998/9... if one has a recent board with bad caps, its more of a rare occurance than anything.

Yeah, I just confirmed that the magic goop escaped from the caps on my fiancee's board...can't wait to get the replacement. Long live socket A! :p

Back