• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS 8400GS

mwmey1

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 22, 2008
Messages
70
Hey guys, I'm after an extreme budget card and I have a few questions.

Refering to the ASUS 8400GS Graphics Card:

Firstly, Ive heard that some cards dont have enough GPU power to make getting 512MB instead of 256MB worth while. This card is $38(Australian) for 256MB or $48 for 512. Is this an example where the extra memory will not do much because the GPU isnt powerful enough to use it?

Also would anyone suggest a different card (budget gaming) in this price area because I chose this one sort of arbitrarily. I dont know much about them so I am going by price and some performance tests I found on google alone and could use some advice

Thanks
 
Try going for an 8500GT if you are on a budget, or maybe an 8600GT if the price is right.

The only gaming on an 8400GS is going to be at 800x600 and below with medium-low settings at best.

These cards' GPUs will buckle long before 512MB is reached. In fact, 256MB on the 8400GS is a little too high.

Try for an 8600GT if you don't want your games to look like Half-Life 1. 256MB is more than enough on any of these cards for gaming.

There are other uses for the 512MB+ models, but since you are only gaming, don't worry about it.
 
Back
Top