Asus 5870 just came up on NewEgg

I ordered one just in time with a 26" monitor and a Patriot Torqx SSD. This should make my current set-up last till the new Bulldozer architecture is released. Time to take a nice week-long vacation.

Never been a fan of multi-gpu set-ups. Issues with drivers, as well as a high increase of power consumption and noise doesn't really appeal to me, especially when I can get the comparable performance using a single card.

got one myself, finally a good upgrade from a hd 4870 512mb, 1gb should be enough for my 1920x1200 24" monitor. ordered right before it went out of stock. it was only two choices for me, either xfx and asus, voltage tweak appeals to me. and xfx's warranty. but voltage tweak is I can take advantage of, because I am not planning on keeping this card for three years. I have q9550 running at 4.1ghz and I don't think it is time for me to upgrade other components yet, may be when bulldozer comes out and the competition is little heavier between the two giants.

I wonder if they will ship it out today, order at 3, and it said they estimated arrival time is 1 day so they are probably shipping from Ca warehouse, and added the rush processing, probably a waste though. lol

guess time to bust my but and save the money back that I just spent.

Last edited:
I run 4850's in CFX with Accelero S1 passive coolers. I haven't had any of those issues.

I run 4850's in CFX with Accelero S1 passive coolers. I haven't had any of those issues.

well I myself would never go dual gpu, plus this card has dx11, and there is no point in getting another hd 4890 for him when he could easily sell is for 120 the least if he wanted to, and new ones cost nearly 200 with tax.

I just take it this way by the time you need dual gpu card for a game and new gen comes out that matches that performance. anyways some people love em and some hate em, I happen to be the latter.

Two 4890s in Crossfire would be extremely loud while gaming, and probably use up over 300 watts. A single 5870 will be in the same range a a single 4890 in noise and use even less power. For myself, there's no debate. Plus, I'm excited about DX11 with the compute shader and hardware tessellation. Can't wait to see how developers leverage the two.

Actually.. you have. Can't tell me that two 4850's in CF is not more power hungry than one 5870

I would have got a 2nd 4890.

Well.. he didn't.. because this is a thread about the 5870... Next time someone doesn't ask for you opnion.. don't offer it.

It just went OOS. But the 4870x2 is in stock and $50 cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-114-_-Product

And we would want a 4870x2 for what reason? 50$ cheaper? Sorry.. I think most of us are down with the many improvements the 5870 has over the 4870x2..

...talk about a threadcrapper

Sorry I was caught up in a CRT thread with the practical members of this forum. I forgot some people demand only the latest and greatest whether or not it makes sense. If DX10 isn't even mainstream, how is having DX11 now going to help anything? 220W vs 190W, big deal.

Sorry I was caught up in a CRT thread with the practical members of this forum. I forgot some people demand only the latest and greatest whether or not it makes sense. If DX10 isn't even mainstream, how is having DX11 now going to help anything? 220W vs 190W, big deal.

dude, dx10 was a failure, I have had more people coming to me asking about windows 7 than I can imagine, dx11 has already taken off and you will have 4-5 titles by early next year. dx11 has already been adapted by developers far more than dx10 ever was. and ati has handed out hd 5870 cards to developers since june, trust me if windows 7 succeed, which it will, I don't think we should worry about dx11 not taking off.

ust 1 4890 is 217W under full load.. At Idle.. your 4850's in CF will not stand a chance seeing the 5870's ability to do 27W in idle..

Just an example:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1471/sapphire_radeon_hd_4850_in_crossfire/index13.html

Shows 4850's in CF at 349W.. that is WAY worse than the 5870.

About DirectX11.. People were saying the same thing about the 8800's and directx 10..,.. but the bottom line is the cards were faster... It has already been stated that DirectX 10 was a bust.. but DirectX 11 will be something developers will use.. and many developers are moving from DirectX 9 directly to DirectX 11.

And about your comment that "some people demand the latest and greatest".. well you shot yourself in the foot when you recommended a video card that is only 50$ cheaper. Looks like in the hardforum there are going to be deals on the 5870 that could bring it down to 350.. I'm pretty sure the extra 20-50$ is really not that big of a deal for someone spending that much on a video card..

Last edited:
I have used 4890s in cf, they are not loud. The small fan on a single 9800gt is more annoying. Power consumption is not a concern to me, but fan noise is.

well good to know power consumption is not a concern to you, it wasn't a concern to me either a while ago, but i am starting to take the the whole green thing a little seriously, I get the same amount power of a 350watt card from a 190watt card, I would go with the 190watt card. just because it doesn't affect me in my life time doesn't me I shouldn't care, I am glad I realized that a few years back.

If you want me to ask your permission before posting, why not go call a mod over to stop me? You'd probably win since I've been here 3 months and you 8 years, I couldn't possibly know anything about anything. I know my university works that way.

Sorry dude.. you don't know what you are talking about...
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1471/sapphire_radeon_hd_4850_in_crossfire/index13.html
Shows 4850's in CF at 349W.. sorry buddy but that is WAY worse than the 5870.
Let me point out that those measurements are for an entire computer system, not the cards themselves. You compared the wrong data, because the high numbers with no description appealed to you. Also why does anyone care about power consumption? Most of this forum probably has kilowatt power supplies anyways. Why should I care about idle? If the system is not overheating on full load, it will certainly be fine on idle. I'd like to think we really only care about power consumption because of the heat we must dissipate at some noise level, not for 'saving the planet' or 'going green'. In the big picture residential consumers are not going to make as much change as big industry, so I don't pay attention to bullshit media that tells us we've killed 200 species because one of our lamps uses an incandescent bulb.

Sounds like someone is jealous that their 4850's in CF just aren't what they used to be.. shame.
No, I'm not caught up in forum-impulse buy mode like some pleb. I read the for sale/trade section. People are always selling their new shit because they discover they can't afford the month's rent or other living costs. And how do they end up that way? Because forum mentality causes them to convince themselves they should buy tons of stuff without considering their bills.

As for DX11, I'll just buy the 6800/380 series when it comes out so I can play the 4-5 titles already released that supposedly will utilize it. Assuming they're not just console ported trash.
And we would want a 4870x2 for what reason? 50$ cheaper? Sorry.. I think most of us are down with the many improvements the 5870 has over the 4870x2..
You don't need to replace every period with ellipsis. The dollar sign goes before the number. The 4870X2 benches about the same as the 5870, very negligible differences. My passive cooled CFX setup cost less than either of those cards, even when bought over a year ago when the cards were just released. I won a GTX 285, but sold it because the CFX was still faster. They were close for sure, but I was happier with what I had already put effort into.

People are certainly free to express themselves. But honestly, why enter a 5870 thread to rant about the benefits of other cards? :confused:

If you want me to ask your permission before posting, why not go call a mod over to stop me? You'd probably win since I've been here 3 months and you 8 years, I couldn't possibly know anything about anything. I know my university works that way.
Not sure where that came from.. but sounds like you got some issues you might want to talk to someone about.

Let me point out that those measurements are for an entire computer system, not the cards themselves. You compared the wrong data, because the high numbers with no description appealed to you. Also why does anyone care about power consumption? Most of this forum probably has kilowatt power supplies anyways. Why should I care about idle? If the system is not overheating on full load, it will certainly be fine on idle. I'd like to think we really only care about power consumption because of the heat we must dissipate at some noise level, not for 'saving the planet' or 'going green'. In the big picture residential consumers are not going to make as much change as big industry, so I don't pay attention to bullshit media that tells us we've killed 200 species because one of our lamps uses an incandescent bulb.

Only part where I agree with you. Took some quick data to make my point.. but unfortunately it doesn't negate my point. Some of us like single cards. Less heat, less power, same or better performance than any dual chip card, for 20-50$ more? What's not to like? But then again, this is all what we are used to and prefer. You prefer CF'd cards... good for you. But you are in a thread about NEwegg making the 5870 available... You are a troll/threadcrapper. Nothing you had to say was anybit on topic. So in the reponse to your 3 months vs. 8 years thing, it looks like it takes a little while longer for you to learn how to comment on forums. Why don't you make it over to the "5870 is WAY better than Crossfire" thread and argue there.

No, I'm not caught up in forum-impulse buy mode like some pleb. I read the for sale/trade section. People are always selling their new shit because they discover they can't afford the month's rent or other living costs. And how do they end up that way? Because forum mentality causes them to convince themselves they should buy tons of stuff without considering their bills..
Wow.. this is reaching. If you are going to immediatly prejudge the people buying major hardware, I guess we could prejudge you by saying you are a college student who hasn't made it in the real world and obviously can't afford items like this without hurting your pocketbook. Well guess what.. there are people out there who can afford this card because either A) they have the money to spare and then some or B) someone like me who has saved up for this card little by little because they knew this fall would be the release of something new by ATI or Nvidia and wanted to make sure they could get it. Talk to the majority of people who pay ~400$ on a card, not just the people in the for sale forum.

You don't need to replace every period with ellipsis. The dollar sign goes before the number. The 4870X2 benches about the same as the 5870, very negligible differences. My passive cooled CFX setup cost less than either of those cards, even when bought over a year ago when the cards were just released. I won a GTX 285, but sold it because the CFX was still faster. They were close for sure, but I was happier with what I had already put effort into.

Yes... I.... do.... And LOL from getting the grammar police on a Hardware forum. Maybe when you get out of school or spend more than 3 months on this forum you will realize no one gives a shit about grammar on a interwebs forum. Notice the last sentence in your paragraph.. "with what I had already put effort into"..well some of us don't want effort and just want to play games. Welcome to Hardforum!

If anyone's interested, here's a radeon 5870 tracker:
http://www.instocklocator.com/index.php?id=32

I like a lot of you am waiting to for Nvidia's lineup before making a decision, but I can say this is the closest I've been to buying a high end ATI card (most of the time I buy them for HTPCs and cheaper desktops). The combination of price/performance/low power is just about right for me. And no, I'm not into CF/SLI setups :)

Either way, customers will win out this generation. If NVIDIA comes out with some killer cards, ATI will drop their 58XX prices. Those who want to pay the premium for top performance will get NVIDIA and those looking for lower price and good performance will go ATI. Sounds good right?

Back