• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS 4870 512mb issues

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
6,781
I bought this about a month ago and instantly sent in rebate stuff. The card worked great in xfire and solo for about 1 week, it then began to run real hot (liek 90 degrees C) and the fan would stay at 90%. I tried new drivers etc and nothing worked. I knew it was the card since my Visiontek was fine.

SO I RMA that card and wait. I get the new card back and plug it in. This time my temps are super awesome (40 C idle and 60 C full load) but the fan when set on auto is stuck @ 50%. Though its not too loud, it's rather annoying. I set the fan to 20% and my temps are fine @ 45 C and 65 C load. All is good @ stock

I then run CCC's auto tune to OC it. It comes up with 840/995 but during the 'tune up' i get driver issues (the driver has stopped worked but is working now BS) and I get artifacts and restarts in games as well as just exploring the net.

Now I know I can't RMA the card cause it doesn't OC well or at all, but what could be the issue? I'm lost, I have the latest drivers etc
 
Umm, are you asking why your replacement card doesn't OC as well as the other card? Kinda hard to tell.

The answer is not all things are made equal. Just like with CPUs, some OC well, others do not.
 
2 parts, sorry i wasn't clear

1) What would cause my card to perma run @ 50% fan speed when set to 'auto'
2) My card won't OC at all without crashes. Any ideas?
 
1)The temps inside your case might be hot, causing the card to run hotter, or the sensor on the card might be bad? Dunno, taking a guess here

2) So even if you bump the core/mem by 5MHz you get crashes?
 
1)The temps inside your case might be hot, causing the card to run hotter, or the sensor on the card might be bad? Dunno, taking a guess here

2) So even if you bump the core/mem by 5MHz you get crashes?

i doubt its the case, antec 300 is cool and my cpu temps are really good ( 30 C idle)

yeah even 5 up crashes it
 
Question, is your sapphire card using the reference cooler design, or their custom one?

The card crashing on even a 5MHz bump seems kind fishy though. Have you tried OCing via a different program?
 
MY visiontek is reference, The ASUS has a special ASUS cooler on it.

I've tried 2 other progs.

/clueless
 
Back
Top