ASUS 290x DCII reviewed

:rolleyes:
Really? Until you also OC the 780Ti, then its game over.

Looks like a great card, if they are available at sub $600, but a 780Ti crusher? No.

I don't see any crushing... What I see is a overclockers 290x getting it's ass handed to it by that gigabyte card. Where the 290 x does crush is on price point, but even then with the bs markups on the cards and it's current crop of issues, spending an extra $100 on the Ti may be worth it as saving frustration alone...

Looks like a good card and if it really sells for $579 it's a great value. But it is not more powerful than a 780Ti.

I don't see any crushing... What I see is a overclockers 290x getting it's ass handed to it by that gigabyte card. Where the 290 x does crush is on price point, but even then with the bs markups on the cards and it's current crop of issues, spending an extra $100 on the Ti may be worth it as saving frustration alone...

A reference 780ti is 700 dollars, not a Gigabyte Windforce one... So you're looking at a maxinmally overclocked 290x near or matching the performance of a maximally overclclocked reference 780ti pretty handily at 1440p. Not a TI crusher by any means, but impressive, considering we are keeping the temperature below 78 degrees at a very reasonable 60% fan speed. So spending 130 plus dollars more for slightly better performance? Not worth it in my opinion. The 780ti would be a better choice at 1080p though I'd say (only if going 144hz or something, otherwise, waste of time).

I'm really impressed by this card.

Temps are too high, almost 20C higher than my standard 290 card with 290x bios, Xtreme III silent cooler at the same 1050/5400 clocks.
That was runnning Heaven 4.0 for 20mins +, no throttling.

:rolleyes:
Really? Until you also OC the 780Ti, then its game over.

Looks like a great card, if they are available at sub $600, but a 780Ti crusher? No.

$700 vs $570 for 4 FPS that you won't even notice while gaming - yeah, game over ;)

Besides he said he really didn't push the card, he just had it 12 hours. I wonder what card will come out on top when the OC experts get at them.

Until AMD stops the price gouging from its retailers, none of the 290s are coming In as a value , ESP with issues that keep popping up hardware And software wise.

Until AMD stops the price gouging from its retailers, none of the 290s are coming In as a value , ESP with issues that keep popping up hardware And software wise.

The BTC and LTC markets are doing a fine job of that. If altcoin values stay this low cards should be back at MSRP soon.

I don t think AMD have changed their pricing, its the retailers pushing the prices up.

The BTC and LTC markets are doing a fine job of that. If altcoin values stay this low cards should be back at MSRP soon.

Yeah well it's getting very frustrating and Amd is losing gaming customers left and right because of it. A sale is a sale , whether mining or not , but in the end, gamers are why these cards are built in the first place.

It doesn't matter who buys Radeons, makes no difference to AMD. At the end of the day it's all money for them to invest in the next generation and better for everyone. Just be patient, litecoin will crash soon enough and we'll get back to MSRP land.

I'll be eye-balling the 290 DCII but only at ~$430.

Really? You're putting the blame on AMD? That's like yelling at Shell for having high gas prices during a natural disaster. Blame supply and demand at retailers, they are trying to maximize profits by taking advantage of the situation. AMD can't do anything about it right now.

Eagerly awaiting that shiz. Do you mind giving stats for the VRMs in the review? Thanks!

If the 290's were supposed to release before the 290x's then why aren't any of those reviews showing up? :/

A reference 780ti is 700 dollars, not a Gigabyte Windforce one... So you're looking at a maxinmally overclocked 290x near or matching the performance of a maximally overclclocked reference 780ti pretty handily at 1440p. Not a TI crusher by any means, but impressive, considering we are keeping the temperature below 78 degrees at a very reasonable 60% fan speed. So spending 130 plus dollars more for slightly better performance? Not worth it in my opinion. The 780ti would be a better choice at 1080p though I'd say (only if going 144hz or something, otherwise, waste of time).

I'm really impressed by this card.

Gee...Seems to me I just bought a gigabyte 780Ti OC for $699 off the Egg>

Really? You're putting the blame on AMD? That's like yelling at Shell for having high gas prices during a natural disaster. Blame supply and demand at retailers, they are trying to maximize profits by taking advantage of the situation. AMD can't do anything about it right now.

Yeah I am... Many other industries penalize the retailer for going above or below, the msrp, ESP during a time when battling a competitor. Denon, Yamaha and Anthem have such rules in place by their authorized dealers. This keeps product in their supply chain, while remaining competitive and fair on all levels.

If AMD wants to have their cards in the hands of miners, not gamers, so be it... It will only hurt them in the future when mining becomes to hard to do on gpu's or the whole thing folds. People like me will remember the frustration of not being able to buy a card. This isn't supposed to be a difficult thing, but it's becoming a huge issue for those who actually want to game on AMD hardware.

There has been a large number of AMD customers who got fed up with the supply issues and price gouging, who jumped to Nvidia. Same thing is happening with Verizon where the majority of their new customer base are verizon customers. At least Verizon's greed is going into their pockets, unlike AMD. Newegg and others are making mad profits off AMD while they sit there and look stupid. That is fact...

Awesome. I can't wait to see asus's upper echelon cards like the ROG boards with integrated water-cooling.

Temps are too high, almost 20C higher than my standard 290 card with 290x bios, Xtreme III silent cooler at the same 1050/5400 clocks.
That was runnning Heaven 4.0 for 20mins +, no throttling.

What are your VRM temps?

Asus R9 290x was reviewed on pclab.pl as well

They managed to overclock core clock to 1075... not to good

Also the GPU has reached 87c (perf. mode) during Far Cry 3 gameplay

temp_load.png

And it STILL was loud

bezposrednio_load.png

You can find the full review here.

I'm happy with my 81% ASIC Gigabyte R9 290 (@R9 290X). Awful overclocker (1030@stock voltage), but at least it unlocked and it is running pretty cold/quiet (max. 90c/54% fan speed) because of the low stock voltage. And it was CHEAP (slightly more expensive than GTX770)

Max VRM temp is about 55C at standard clocks (1000MHz core), standard volts (up to 1.19V).
When using 1155MHz with +100mV (which adds more than 100mV depending on GPU temp, I saw up to 1.258V), max VRM is about 77C, temp compensated.
(my max VRM temp is 72C but my room is 5C colder than theirs today)
This is running Heaven 4.0 for over 20 mins.

Wow, the Polish review results are not good.
There could be a fair amount of variance, a fault or perhaps a bit of wool pulling.
Roll on the [H] review.

Last edited:
Also the GPU has reached 87c (perf. mode) during Far Cry 3 gameplay
Everyone else is topping out at 77C or 78C.

OC:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...94-asus-r9-290x-directcu-ii-oc-review-11.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_directcuii_oc_review,28.html
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...Graphics-Card-Review/Overclocking-and-Conclus

Sounds like they got a poorly seated heatsink. Then again, bad clocks, bad temps, and bad noise.
According to them the ASUS is almost worse than ref... c'mon now.

Last edited:
Back