Asus 27"3D VG278H Experience

Great2bfree

Weaksauce
Greeting all, just wanted to share my experience with the Asus VG278H and for those wondering on whether or not venture into the 3D realm or 27" LCD monitor. My user experience is coming from a single night usage.

I decided to make a leap and purchased a 3D monitor. Originally, I was orientating to the 24" size screen. The new Nvidia vision 3D 2 with 2x 3D brightness was what I was looking for. Untill now, I have yet to experience full stereoscopic 3D gaming, except on anaglyph red/cyan glasses. I wanted my introduction to be most immersive as possible. I had my eyes set up on the BenQ XL2420Tx which is one of the newer monitor that had this technology under its belt. From numerous forums, it appear that screen had a design flaw pertaining to the integrated emitter for the shutter glasses. It would reportely disengage, and in order to get it working, disconnecting the power cable and plugging it back in would remedy it. One too many reportes on this annoying issue was enough to discourage me from jumping on it. The second monitor on the list was the Asus VG278H. I was hesitant on jumping the wagon on a 27" monitor, figure 27" would be just to big but did it.

The 3D Gaming experience is amazing. A must try to anyone out there. Currently running a AMD Phenom 6 core @3.7 , GTX 670 Gigabyte, 4GB of RAM, 240GB SSD on Win 7 64 bit. Given my setup, games frame rate would drop at least 1/2 when enabling 3D stereoscopic. The Witcher 2 never LOOK so great and mindblowing. At ultra setting, The system was rendering anywhere from 17 to 30 fps. Not playable, but wonderful to see. Other games like BF3 campaign mode, and Skyrim were very playable and enjoyable on full max setting. The 3D factor was great, and exactly what I was looking for.

Given that for the past recent years, my previous PC monitors all have been 24", 27" is still taking a while to sit in well for my viewing pleasure. With 3D disable and 120hz enable, FPS Such as BF3 is getting me murder on multiplayer. My veterent skills drop to nothing as my eyes tried to readjust to the bigger viewing area. Now, it feels like I need to use my pheripharal view in order to gain the advantage. My eyes are having a hard time as its doing more scanning for enemy movement. With 3D enable, lol, my brain is too slow to process all the depth elements, and tracking and focusing on enemy is now a mission. It is certainly wonderful and mindblowing, but I feel a bit handicap given the extra work my brain needs to do. I now need to again train myself to feel comfortable.

3D is amazing and fun, a must try for anyone. Keep in mind that switching between monitor size may take some time to settle in. Overall, very happy with the Asus VG278H and would recommend it to anyone.

Awesome! Glad that worked out for you. I have a few 3D displays, and the effect is just amazing. Every gamer should try it out at least, its really that good.

There's another thread suggesting that the Asus VG278H has extremely frustrating backlight bleeding problems.

what kind of frame rates are you getting with the gtx 670 in 2d mode in BF3? i want the 3d for diablo 3 and wow, gw2 and mmo's but i'd be playing 2d in bf3. also i purchased one and cancelled it before it shipped the other day (vg278h) because i only read negative reviews about the backlight bleeding.

can you share some input on FPS in 2d and in 3d? i was planning on buying a 670 this week. specifically the asus version. with your input i might still want to buy that monitor again.

Fraps reports anywhere from 29 to 120 FPS all max. It normally is between 50-70 in gameplay. On 3D, it dips to 23-40 fps.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for replying! I was just about to order the new Benq Xt version with lightboost but I seriously want a 27". Can I ask for more feedback?

How far do you sit from the screen? I read about sitting up 3 feet away was optimal but I can't imagine being that far away. Also are black colors really green? I read that the blacks aren't black enough.

No, black area are black, but one thing that bugs me a bit, is how it handle areas of different shades of black. For examble, in BF3, the metallic black gun is almost faded to blackness/browness when your under shadow and brightness is set low. I tend to lower the brightness on all my monitor, like then below 30%. Unfortunately, i need to have it on mid to high to avoid this.

there is a fry's electronics about an hour away from my home. i'm gonna drive down there this weekend and hope they have nvidia 3d vision set up. i think i need to see it for myself but im still convinced i want to go 27'' and i have the budget for the ASUS which is why i jumped the gun, but quickly retracted. the more i know the more likely i am going to try and order it again.

i appreciate the feedback of course. now how do you feel about the color lushness of greens and blues and what not? do you play any mmo's? diablo 3? i've never played skyrim so i can't completely relate to how awesome it is. also, do i always have to play in 3d mode? lets say i just want to play diablo 3 in 3d mode but bf3 in 2d?

The Frys in Austin does not seem to carry this screen - also, they have a 15% restocking fee on returned screens.

I would love to try one, but if it won't work for me, I don't want to be out a $100 restocking fee.

The Frys in Austin does not seem to carry this screen - also, they have a 15% restocking fee on returned screens.

I would love to try one, but if it won't work for me, I don't want to be out a $100 restocking fee.

eesh! well lucky for me I can order it from Walmart.com they order them directly from Asus and ship to my home. Plus they are $594 as opposed to $650 elsewhere. I also have a gift card I can use to spend on it so I'm really motivated I'm just reluctant because I want better colors and a brighter screen than my current 23'' Asus.

Back