Asus 27" 3D 120hz VG278H Monitor Review

SirJamesDDJ

Weaksauce
Here are the impressions I've gotten after a few days using my new Asus VG278H 3D 120hz monitor.
Also, I'll discuss briefly why I won't have SLI for a few weeks.
Calibration settings:
Game mode, Brightness 65, Contrast 80, Saturation 50, Color Temp. User R 100 G 100 B 85, Sharpness 30, Trace Free 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYEPA1bWGyI

You're welcome!
I'm certainly not as technically proficient as many others, but my honest impressions are what you'll get ;)

Stumbled upon your review on YouTube last night. Made me pull the trigger on getting one of these displays to replace my HP LP3065. I've been conflicted about switching from a 30" 2560x1600 60hz IPS 16:10 panel for a 27" 1920x1080 120hz TN 16:9 panel for a while and am hoping I don't get buyers regret!

Since I'm a graphic designer by trade, I'll probably drag my 30" into work since I predominantly just game, watch movies and browse the web when at home. Will be a nice upgrade from the 23" :cool:

I own the VG278H too, and it is one of the easiest monitors to do the LightBoost tweak on (you can just follow the easy version of the instructions in the LightBoost HOWTO) -- it eliminates more than 90% of motion blur during video gaming (when running at 120fps @ 120Hz), no 3D glasses required if you don't want to use them all the time.

I just got the VG278H about 1 week ago and so far gaming in 3D has been great. The immersion is unparalleled. But the problem I see is uneven back lighting and bleeding. I have included a picture of my below. This uneven back lighting could be a problem in dark games like Metro 2033. Do I have a defective panel? Should I return it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d3k6ylego1tjp8/2013-08-15 22.15.57.jpg

Last edited:
What's your brightness setting? Usually higher brightness => more BLB. Due to that I'm on 24% brightness on my old VX2268wm 120Hz monitor. I see a lot of users use like high setting of like 60-70 despite 120Hz are even brighter than 60Hz displays to begin with at which 27 - 35 or so is usually pretty accurate for colors. But then if you're a 24/7 Lightboost monitor user I guess it's another story.

Last edited:
My brightness is set at 90% because I use the monitor exclusively for 3D gaming. The uneven back light is troubling ...

Waiting on your 670 to get back for a full review. That was more of a chitchat video there. I'm wondering how this stacks up against the QE version. The only thing that bothers me is the VG278H 3D transmitter if you try to use them in portrait mode. Thanks for the post so far, looking forward to the real review.

Waiting on your 670 to get back for a full review. That was more of a chitchat video there. I'm wondering how this stacks up against the QE version. The only thing that bothers me is the VG278H 3D transmitter if you try to use them in portrait mode. Thanks for the post so far, looking forward to the real review.
Test for the color quality in LightBoost mode, It's now known that the VG278H has better color than the VG248QE. Also, use the recommended LightBoost picture adjustment settings found in the LightBoost FAQ.

I have 3 of these, one I got last year and 2 I got this year and the nvidia drivers see them as different monitors so I can't do 3D surround which is something I've been dying to try on Batman AC and STO.

I have 3 of these, one I got last year and 2 I got this year and the nvidia drivers see them as different monitors so I can't do 3D surround which is something I've been dying to try on Batman AC and STO.
You may be able to do it if you install EDID overrides.
I'd recommend the VG278H EDID override, installed on all 3 monitors.

Thanks, I've been seeing this solution, but its still silly for the same damn model of monitor. Saint Row IV came out yesterday night, gonna have to get cracking on this.

Yes it is. Just give it back. Looks terrible.

I wonder if this kind of back lighting is the norm for the VG278H. I know TN panels do not have the color reproduction and uniformity of IPS panels but I did not expect the back lighting to be so uneven.

Anyone else noticing an odd pixelated look to the screen when 3D vision is enabled. I see it in games as well as on the desktop.... kind of a grainy look to everything that is not there on 2D mode (3d vision disabled)

Also trying to tweak things out to get good depth to the screen, I notice the further back I sit the more the depth is apparent, but obviously I do not want to sit 5 feet back from the screen lol

Also for those who are new to this screen and for the op if he doesn't know... get familiar with helix mods lol. The helix mod site has a lot of fixes for games that look like crap in 3D and can enhance some games more. I discovered this the other day when I went to play dishonored

I just got the VG278H about 1 week ago and so far gaming in 3D has been great. The immersion is unparalleled. But the problem I see is uneven back lighting and bleeding. I have included a picture of my below. This uneven back lighting could be a problem in dark games like Metro 2033. Do I have a defective panel? Should I return it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d3k6ylego1tjp8/2013-08-15 22.15.57.jpg

You've got a bad panel. I'd return it. I have a VG248QE (the 24'' brother) and it looks fine in terms of backlighting. Color saturation is another story.

Also trying to tweak things out to get good depth to the screen, I notice the further back I sit the more the depth is apparent, but obviously I do not want to sit 5 feet back from the screen lol
The 3D depth you see will be a ratio of the distance you are away from the screen.
For example,
An image is coming out of the screen and you are 3ft from the screen, it comes out 1ft.
When you are 9ft from the screen, it comes out 3ft.
While its nicer having the screen fill your vision, 3D isnt quite as strong when closer.

Thats one reason why I bought a 3D projector so I can sit at a very comfortable viewing distance and still get awesome 3D.
Its not quite as good for some games (it only does 1/2 res at 60Hz/eye), but films are much more immersive, even more so if I get close enough to the screen that it completely fills my vision.
Thats unpleasant to do for long on a 27" 3D display.

Back